Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

EPA Update: 2016 Q5 TDI affected

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Barraged
Why do you think that? Seems strange to me...
2014 and 2015 are not on the list, I assume they have not tested those yet, only with the current one on sale.

But over all very disappointed with Audi/VW on this issue. I love my Q5, but not sure if I would purchase an Audi again.

Like the look of the Benz GLC and looking at the new XC90 for the SO.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asmi84
Imagine for a second you're the one responsible for this V6 issue. Would you come clean to your boss about this cover-up, or you would've just quit the job once issue with 2.0 engines was discovered? I'm not sure I would've chosen "option 1" myself, as the natural temptation to just hide away from all this (both figuratively and literally) would be very high...
Full disclosure: I've worked with companies in "crisis" mode before like this -- though obviously not of this scale -- and typically they hire outside, disinterested investigators to verify their internal employees' work when something goes this terribly wrong. VW has already hired big time law firms to work on the defense, and I can tell you their first piece of advice was 'don't trust the engineers who did this to you; get a cold fresh look to make sure you are 100% on top of what is going on.' I presume VW took that advice. But of course we are outside of the maelstrom, and at this point it is just conjecture on my part. Makes me wonder though if VW will fight the EPA's conclusions this time -- argue that the EPA missed something on urea models and will appeal. Who knows at this point.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Barraged
Why do you think that? Seems strange to me...
My guess is that it's because the EPA hasn't tested the other model/year combinations yet. When they do, they will be found to be similar and will be added to the list.

My wife and I both have affected audi's. She's got a 2014 q5 TDI and I just bought last month a CPO a6 TDI.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

My biggest concern now is that the "fix" will will negatively impact performance, and/or MPG. If that's the case, the Q will be gone.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I actually put in a call to the lemon law attorney that handled my friend's Toyota during the crisis. In CA we have a pretty clear cut product defect case here so getting it bought back+attorney's fees-modest depreciation for miles shouldn't be terribly hard. I won't let them do it in turn for another Audi/VW. I'm done at this point with the brand
Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im puzzled as to why only the '16 Q5 is called out and not the '14 and '15.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
2014 and 2015 are not on the list, I assume they have not tested those yet, only with the current one on sale.

But over all very disappointed with Audi/VW on this issue. I love my Q5, but not sure if I would purchase an Audi again.

Like the look of the Benz GLC and looking at the new XC90 for the SO.
Yeah, I have a 2014 and can't think of any good reason its software would be totally kosher and a 2016's would not. It doesn't help that the press release is silent as to whether any TDI models passed this new round of inspections. But why would almost the entire 2016 Audi TDI line up flunk, but the 2014s and 2015s pass? And why would a 2014 Touareg flunk, but the 2015 pass? And why would the 2015 Cayenne flunk, but the 2014 and 2016 pass? Seems odd.

Either way, even if we all see some $$ through the inevitable class action lawsuit, it's hard to get excited about going Audi again. 6 series anybody?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had my 2016 Q5 TDI 17 days now!
I almost didn't buy due to the VW press..... very very unhappy Audi owner, I went from telling everyone I love it, to telling everyone don't buy from VW / Audi. I'm in canada, can I return it?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asmi84
Forget it. When dust settles, you will be the one writing a cheque...

On topic - I didn't care before, I still don't care now.
Don't think so. VW is swimming in cash. They made like $6 billion last year alone, which is why they could sock away $8 billion the moment the story broke.

What's so perplexing is why they didn't come clean about these other models after the EPA started looking. They had to know that it would eventually come out. It makes no sense.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw that VW is denying that any Cheat SW is present on 3.0 TDI's....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Don Keener; 11-02-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: EPA Update: 2016 Q5 TDI affected