Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do you regret buying your Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our household makes slighlty more than that and we have a 2011 Q5 and a 2012 S4, my wife loves her Q5 and we do not regret it for one second. We never have and I hope we never will....
Old 06-03-2013, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know that it's appropriate to ask for a comparison between Toyota and Audi, whether it be the car itself or the costs associated with maintenance.

We gave up one of our Hondas, and it's like we've graduated to something that's totally different that we're quite happy with ... EXCEPT for fighting over who gets to drive the Q5 that particular day.

Our household income is also quite a bit below $185k, and we've implemented a special savings account that saves towards Audi maintenance (altho we did get Audi care with the purchase). It will go towards costs higher than we're used to for tires, brakes, etc ...

The last tidbit I'll mention ... is that, between Nov-2012 and Feb-2013, I researched all luxury CUVs, and I never came across anyone unhappy with their "lemon" Q5! I believe you can purchase Audi with confidence.

Bottom line ... we're happy!

HTH & good luck!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not comfortable discussing my finances online, but I will say that if you have doubts about whether or not you can afford the vehicle or simply don't want to spend the money on it think it over carefully.

Only you can decide if it's right for you either way. If you buy it and then find out it's not for you, you'll be unhappy.

Strictly your call to make. Good luck with your decision.

BTW, we've had our Q5 for 6 months and still enjoy it every time we drive it.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Absolutely not - of course it has only been 5 weeks, but it has been the best 5 weeks of ownership ever. I have historically been like you, my last two vehichles lasted me 8 and 10 years each and both cost less than $25K a piece brand new. I got sick of just having transportation and wanted something that I could sit in traffic jams with and be completely content and I couldn't have picked a better ride for that. As far as the money issue goes that is up to each and everyone of us and how it fits into your budget. For me I can tell you my monthly payment is less than 7% of my monthly income after I putdown a hefty downpayment, so the car isn't creating a headache from a payment standpoint and if something else was to happen income/budget wise I feel comfortable I can keep making the payments without issue and if nothing changes I can pay it off quickly as well.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by reallywantanaudi
Coming from a pretty frugal background, cars I've driven have always been "practical" cars like a toyota corolla. Now that I have some financial stability (no other debt besides mortgage), I fell in love with the Q5 (pretty fully loaded one- around 52k MSRP). I really want to get it but I am concerned that the cost is a lot more than just the purchasing price - insurance cost, premium gas, maintenance cost etc. My household income is around 200K. I am not sure if I should buy this car based on my income level. Or course I can CAN finance it but I don't know if it's a wise thing to do. I am afraid I'll regret it. So my question is, 1. how much do you make and 2. do you feel comfortable paying for your Q5 and 3. do you think I should be buying a Q5 based on my income level. I hope this question doesn't offend anyone. I am just trying to gain some perspective on what kind of people are buying these cars and if I am way out of my league.

Thanks in advance.
Well, this is hardly the place to be getting financial advice. In fact, no one could properly advise you without also knowing all your debts, incomes, assets, liabilities, age, health, goals, retirement plans, etc. But I think the $185,000 median income for Q5 owners is very interesting. I just retired, and that's more than I made when I was working, but I can easily afford a Q5, and there must be a lot of folks in similar financial situations. I do consider myself a value conscious buyer, but I don't think the Q5 is an extravagant purchase. You'll probably pay a 20% to 25% premium over the life of the vehicle compared to the cost of owning a Toyota or Ford, and only you know if this is worth the performance and prestige of the Q5.

Last edited by sq5wantabe; 06-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks to everyone who provided insight. I read through everyone's comments and found them all very helpful. It seems that the general consensus is that everyone who has a Q5 loves it. This is very reassuring. I also appreciate the confidence of others who have upgraded from toyota/honda to an Audi. I think I will be hunting for a good deal soon! I am hoping for some mark down on the 2013 since 2014 is out soon...
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Funny I'm trading in my 08 Mercedes ml for a 14 q5..
Audi offers so much more. The q5 is a beautiful car.
Enjoy it!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Agree, ordered new Q5 on $24K annual income...

Originally Posted by sq5wantabe
Well, this is hardly the place to be getting financial advice. In fact, no one could properly advise you without also knowing all your debts, incomes, assets, liabilities, age, health, goals, retirement plans, etc. But I think the $185,000 median income for Q5 owners is very interesting. I just retired, and that's more than I made when I was working, but I can easily afford a Q5, and there must be a lot of folks in similar financial situations. I do consider myself a value conscious buyer, but I don't think the Q5 is an extravagant purchase. You'll probably pay a 20% to 25% premium over the life of the vehicle compared to the cost of owning a Toyota or Ford, and only you know if this is worth the performance and prestige of the Q5.
Retired 63, no debt, my $24K social secuity takes care of all bills, taking Roth IRA funds, $31K for the Q5(Preminum, Xenon, Heated seats, Rear air bags)including state tax and, trading in 2002 A4, to buy the Q5.

I really don't think of the Q5 as that expensive at all compared to Jeep Cherokees, Ford Edges, Escapes, etc.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well over the median income and well under the average age published in the Q5 PIB that was posted. Love the car, no regrets. If you're in the market for a car like this it's usually not a question of what is affordable but more a matter of justifying the expense in my opinion.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have never owned a luxury car. We are a 2 income family, my car is a Passat (which , at the time I probably could've afforded an A4 but I was frugal), and my wife drove a cheap american econocar.

For our CUV purchase, I really wanted her to like and pick the RDX (car is for her). Rationally, it's the better pick in terms of reliability. We always keep our cars 10 years.

However, after she test drove the RDX, I had her test drive the Q5, and that was it. The Q5 is luxury (well, it cost $8k more so it should be).

After driving the Q5 this past Memorial Day weekend up PCH in Central Coast California, I have to admit she made the right choice. The Q5 is just a fantastic machine, handles so well, feels so solid.

It's okay to feel uncomfortable on such a big purchase. Not sure where you live, but your income looks solid (congrats!), so live it up. We are now.

Quick Reply: Do you regret buying your Q5?