Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do you regret buying your Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you regret buying your Q5?

Coming from a pretty frugal background, cars I've driven have always been "practical" cars like a toyota corolla. Now that I have some financial stability (no other debt besides mortgage), I fell in love with the Q5 (pretty fully loaded one- around 52k MSRP). I really want to get it but I am concerned that the cost is a lot more than just the purchasing price - insurance cost, premium gas, maintenance cost etc. My household income is around 200K. I am not sure if I should buy this car based on my income level. Or course I can CAN finance it but I don't know if it's a wise thing to do. I am afraid I'll regret it. So my question is, 1. how much do you make and 2. do you feel comfortable paying for your Q5 and 3. do you think I should be buying a Q5 based on my income level. I hope this question doesn't offend anyone. I am just trying to gain some perspective on what kind of people are buying these cars and if I am way out of my league.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love it every. single. day. Nothing makes me happier after a rough day at work than walking out to my Q and the wink it gives me when I unlock the doors. I will not report my income but I will say, if I made half as much as I do now, I would still be happy with my decision.

kb
Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Q5! Going on 108,000 miles and it has been my favorite car. Maintenance costs are inline with my former Infinity.

Only you know if you can afford it or not. Everybody's financial situations are different depending on family, where you live, and your lifestyle.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi's special financing rates make it very attractive to finance it. If you don't feel comfortable paying $50k in cash, you can do what I did and just put down a small amount. As I became more comfortable with the car, I eventually paid it off within a year.

I think you should be able to afford the car based on your income level unless you are living in a very nice suburb of a major city (i.e. you are carrying a $600k jumbo mortgage). However, the town I live in has an average family income of around $200k, so that's nothing around here. Only you know what you can afford since everyone's expenses are different.

Last edited by Parsec; 06-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depends on your debt. You can also order a lower price q5 and save.
I just ordered a 2014 q5 with almost everything and it was a lot less. (2.0).
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by reallywantanaudi
Coming from a pretty frugal background, cars I've driven have always been "practical" cars like a toyota corolla. Now that I have some financial stability (no other debt besides mortgage), I fell in love with the Q5 (pretty fully loaded one- around 52k MSRP). I really want to get it but I am concerned that the cost is a lot more than just the purchasing price - insurance cost, premium gas, maintenance cost etc. My household income is around 200K. I am not sure if I should buy this car based on my income level. Or course I can CAN finance it but I don't know if it's a wise thing to do. I am afraid I'll regret it. So my question is, 1. how much do you make and 2. do you feel comfortable paying for your Q5 and 3. do you think I should be buying a Q5 based on my income level. I hope this question doesn't offend anyone. I am just trying to gain some perspective on what kind of people are buying these cars and if I am way out of my league.

Thanks in advance.
Audi's 2014 Product Information Book for the Q5/SQ5 says that the median income of a purchaser is $185K. Sounds like on that criterion lane, you should get one.

We're around your figure too and put an order in for an SQ5.

Follow your guts.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go into debt! Isn't that the American way? Seriously though, buy it if you want it. You only live once and you can't take it with you. $52k for a luxury brand SUV is about the average and you get far more with an Audi than with any other luxury brand out there. My .02.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by reallywantanaudi

Thanks in advance.
Similar to you, before my Q5, I had a history of driving more "economical" cars - 2 x Mazda Proteges, Jeep Wrangler, Buick Skylark. But I reached a point in my life, especially due to my love of driving and how often I drive, I wanted a step up in my vehicle both in style and comfort. I car shopped for 2 years, looking at coupes, sedans, crossovers, and SUVs, and nothing really grabbed me until I saw the Q5. But also like you I was intimidated by the price tag.

In the end though, I realized that I simply wasn't going to be excited about or happy with any of the other cars, and if I was going to own my next car for 5-10 years, it needed to be one I felt a strong connection to. I also decided if I was going to get the Q5, that I wasn't going to go "economical" with it, within reason, of course.

I wound up getting the 2012 Q5 Premiere Pro 2.0T w/GPS, sunroof, keyless entry, and heated seats (I stuck with the default speaker system and wheels). At the time of purchase, I made just above $100k, and was able to put enough down (plus trade-in and excellent negotiating) that my monthly payments are $650, which I can definitely live with.

As to your question - do I regret my purchase? No, not at all. In fact, I can say, without a doubt, it has been the best car purchase I've made in my entire life. It's an excellent ride, very stylish, I've gotten tons of compliments, and driving it is a pure joy.

But, that said, you really have to look at your own finances, your own needs, how much a good ride means to you (and your family), etc.

Good luck with the decision - let us know what you wind up doing!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Audi's 2014 Product Information Book for the Q5/SQ5 says that the median income of a purchaser is $185K. Sounds like on that criterion lane, you should get one.

We're around your figure too and put an order in for an SQ5.

Follow your guts.

Thanks for the $185k figure. It's very helpful! My gut says yes, my brain says no...
Old 06-02-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't regret it one second.

WIth that income it shouldn't be a problem.

Go with your gut. If you are in love with it, do it!

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: Do you regret buying your Q5?