Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Remote start Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Period of idiling a cold engine?

[QUOTE=Redd;24821956]"Please, lets not start arguing if idling the engine too long will cause carbon build up or oil consumption, kill the trees that is next to the vehicle, or if we have to move down south,etc."
As the OP aid in the original post.
Or as the ADHD therapists say, FOCUS, PLEASE.

OMG really people... Point is to get the car to temperature which is god for an engine.. starting and driving a cold engine is not. Please wake up...
Old 05-28-2020, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to get a car up to normal operating temperatures is to drive it carefully until the fluids reach normal operating temperatures, not let it sit idling in your driveway for 30 minutes. If you can cite a recognized car expert who says otherwise, I'd be interested in the citation.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdolian
The best way to get a car up to normal operating temperatures is to drive it carefully until the fluids reach normal operating temperatures, not let it sit idling in your driveway for 30 minutes. If you can cite a recognized car expert who says otherwise, I'd be interested in the citation.
You're not wrong. Remote starters are for the comfort of people. Wear and tear on vehicles is minimal.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Obviously a non-Canadian topic. & ya comfort. Anyone can 'man up' and sit in a freezing car for 20min while it defrosts. But ooohh my when I get off work and it's -20C (-4F) or less, and walk to the open parking garage / lot & see my car frozen solid..... , I really really miss auto start! Same with leaving for work at 5-6am, when it's still dark dead of winter. The car has to warm up to see out the windows anyways; even if you scraping it's fogging up. No point in sitting in frozen car waiting when it could do it alone. I use a big car tent these days which works great for most of these issues. & I thought this was the other thread. For those who don't know there's another thread with a more legit way of doing this which is here.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Raf, at least in our older Q5's, there's a standard electric heater built into the climate control system. As soon as the engine is running, we have toasty heat pouring out the vents. So toasty that there was a recall some years ago to turn it down a bit, they were burning out heater elements. You might want to check if that's working in yours.

Yes, a pre-start would have been nice...But when I bought y Audi, no one else had AWD in any kind of competitive car. The key fob system is still 1980's technology. By 1985 I had an alarm system that waited one minute after the key was out of the ignition and the d/s door opened and closed. Then it locked up everything. (By my choice.) Audi still won't do that.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm from Texas and No I did not know how cold it gets until I moved my daughter to Madison for college. Start the car and warm it up before going out to it.....
Old 11-13-2022, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Alday
I'm from Texas and No I did not know how cold it gets until I moved my daughter to Madison for college. Start the car and warm it up before going out to it.....
Or park in a garage. When I lived in warmer climes I noticed many live in their garage and park outside, that's not as common in the upper midwest.

Except in my townhome neighborhood, where the garages are typically full of crap and people park outside. That seems counter-intuitive when we all pay for snow removal and driveways with cars are skipped.

My garage isn't heated (except with I turn on the little space heater) but it rarely goes below freezing, even when it's -10 outside. I like that better than remote start, because I don't have to scrape windows.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's great that you're exploring the new app update features! The ability to remotely lock/unlock and control the AC sounds useful. However, the availability of these options could indeed depend on your car's model and configuration. To confirm, I'd recommend reaching out to the app's support or consulting your car's how to manual to see if these features are compatible with your specific vehicle.