Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Did You Get Used To The Stupid Big Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did You Get Used To The Stupid Big Mirrors?

Hey,

Has anyone who hated the Q5's Dumbo mirrors actually gotten used to them where they no longer seem like an absolute accident waiting to happen?

My gut told me during my test drive that they were a problem but I stupidly ignored it and now I'm paranoid I'm gonna hit a pedestrian, car, cyclist, whatever. I actually hit a curb and slightly scraped my front drivers side rim from not being able to judge the distance to the curb during a slow right into a left turn lane.

Someone please tell me you hated them too but are now fine with them, 'cause I'm not sure it's something I can get used to.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

bring your seat up quite a bit. It will solve your problem
Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Quartz5
bring your seat up quite a bit. It will solve your problem
I've tried that but then my right foot is on an unnatural downward slant on the accelerator and my left arm no longer rests comfortably on the door armrest.

I'm not a tall guy but I'm not super short either at 5'8". I've never had this in any other car I've driven, what the hell was Audi thinking?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my, oh my you must go and sell that dumbo car to someone who actually knows how to drive....
Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Oh my, oh my you must go and sell that dumbo car to someone who actually knows how to drive....
LOL too funny. I actually think the mirrors are small compared to my pickup.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
What are you, five years old? Douche bag. There are numerous posts on this forum regarding the large mirrors and people having issue with them.

Go to this review and the very first "Con" in the review are the big mirrors.

Just because people have an opinion or an issue with their Q5 shouldn't open them up to ridicule, that's what this forum is for. Oh wait, I think I ridiculed you earlier by calling you a douche bag..sorry about that douche bag.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Hey,

Has anyone who hated the Q5's Dumbo mirrors actually gotten used to them where they no longer seem like an absolute accident waiting to happen?

My gut told me during my test drive that they were a problem but I stupidly ignored it and now I'm paranoid I'm gonna hit a pedestrian, car, cyclist, whatever. I actually hit a curb and slightly scraped my front drivers side rim from not being able to judge the distance to the curb during a slow right into a left turn lane.

Someone please tell me you hated them too but are now fine with them, 'cause I'm not sure it's something I can get used to.

Thanks.

I remember when I test drove the Q5, and then again the day I picked it up, how huge I thought the side mirrors were, and that they were going to get in the way of side views.

I now have 1400 miles on the Q5, and don't even notice them anymore. Maybe I naturally peer over them or around them, or maybe it was some seat adjustment, I don't know - at some point, I simply stopped noticing they were there (except when using them, of course), and to be honest, I had completely forgotten I had initially disliked them until I read your thread.

I'm over the size of the mirrors, and I'm sure you'll reach that point as well.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by geronimosan
I remember when I test drove the Q5, and then again the day I picked it up, how huge I thought the side mirrors were, and that they were going to get in the way of side views.

I now have 1400 miles on the Q5, and don't even notice them anymore. Maybe I naturally peer over them or around them, or maybe it was some seat adjustment, I don't know - at some point, I simply stopped noticing they were there (except when using them, of course), and to be honest, I had completely forgotten I had initially disliked them until I read your thread.

I'm over the size of the mirrors, and I'm sure you'll reach that point as well.
Thanks for the actual helpful feedback Geronimosan, unlike some other douche bags on this forum.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the past two years I've gotten used to them but I can't say I like them. If I lived in a real city, I'd probably still have issue with them. And yes, I know how to drive.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
Over the past two years I've gotten used to them but I can't say I like them. If I lived in a real city, I'd probably still have issue with them. And yes, I know how to drive.
Thanks hmn4858. Great observation about locale. I live and work in NYC, a real city some might say, where one REALLY does need to know how to drive...unlike somewhere like, oh I don't know, Finland for instance.

The mirrors in city driving make them that much more annoying and dangerous. Hopefully in time I'll learn to "not like them" too.

Thanks again for the helpful input.

Quick Reply: Did You Get Used To The Stupid Big Mirrors?