Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JX looks like a modern day mini-van to me. Is that what you are in the market for? Also, I don't really see the Q5 as the direct competitor for the JX.. more like the Q7. The Infiniti FX is the equivalent of the Q5.. in a more expensive, uglier, i-wish-i-was-a-volvo, worse gas mileage kind of way.

The JX does have alot of 'features'. I'm totally thrilled with my 2.0T premium Q5. It is safe, comfortable, fuel efficient, and really fun to drive. Imagine what the 3.0T diesel premium plus / prestige will be like.

If you want a well rounded 4-5 person crossover, the Q5 can't be beat IMO. If you need 7 passenger, JX should be considered along with the Q7.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Like you originally posted, both cars aren't in the same competitive set so its not an apples to apples comparison. The JX clearly feels larger. It's more like a Q7 thats a little more narrow. Even though The JX has a "performance tuned" CVT, it won't have a spirited drive like the Q5. On top of that it is FWD unless you opt for the AWD version. The tech features on the JX are arguably the most advanced among the competitors but like other have posted, i would ask yourself if you would regularly use or even notice most of them. Adding the tech packages drive the cost easily up on the JX. I do however like the JX design (as well as the overall design language across the Infiniti model line) but they are not nearly as beautiful as Audi design which in my opinion have the most striking cars on the road in a progressive/modern sense that doesn't scream for attention. Its very cohesive.

Ive driven numerous Infiniti's and while they are great cars, a lot of theses technologies that you listed take away from the driving experience. You feel very computer-controlled and a little detached from the driving experience with features like lane departure prevention and blindspot intervention which maneuvers the car for you. Distance control assist actually pushes back on the accelerator when it feels you aren't braking in time.

Don't get me wrong, I like Infiniti as a brand so this isn't a flame post by any means. In fact, I seriously considered an FX before getting the Q. I just prefer Audi over Infiniti for what they offer in regards to overall performance, technology and design.

Whatever choice you end up with, I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also have you read the Autoblog review of the JX? Their take was that it achieves what it is designed to do... a luxury 7-passenger people hauler. They were however not at all thrilled with the performance.

Hopefully this may help you make your decision either way.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/27/2...iew/#continued