Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AUDIIOS
Amazon.com: ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool for iPhone iPad iPod: Electronics

Anyone have success using the above adapter with Carista? Seems from reviews like it works with iOS.
I'm going to order that one as I want to check some stuff on my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Hopefully it works for my Jeep and if my SQ5 ever comes in, I'll try it out on her too.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Hi everyone, how would you like to configure your car today? DRL wink off? Enable windows-up via remote? Auto-door locks on/off? Enable coming/leaving-home lights?
Hi, can you update the list on the front page with all the features available for the 2013 Q5. It looks like the last time you updated was 11-01-2014.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just traded my '13 Q5 for a '14 SQ5. It does not stop the engine at a long traffic light. . I believe the SQ5 does not have that feature. Does yours?
Old 02-19-2015, 04:51 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

This thread is about Carista but no, the SQ5 does NOT have start/stop. Steve
Old 02-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AUDIIOS
Amazon.com: ieGeek® WIFI Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool for iPhone iPad iPod: Electronics

Anyone have success using the above adapter with Carista? Seems from reviews like it works with iOS.
This is the OBDII adapter that I have. It does work w/ iOS and Carista but it's slow. Takes about a minute for the customize function to find all the settings and present options. It's my first time using an OBDII adapter interactively so maybe this is how it's supposed to work. Carista can read the settings but sometimes when I check MMI they don't match what Carista is reporting. I haven't purchased the app yet so I don't know what happens if I change anything. I'll have more time this weekend. YMMV.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"Takes about a minute for the customize function to find all the settings and present options."
I see the same thing with Carista and a bt adapter in the port. Either it is Carista, or more likely the process of interrogating the car over the OBD port is slow. I don't recall what speed an OBD port uses but 1996-ish serial communications standards weren't lightning fast.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devx
This is the OBDII adapter that I have. It does work w/ iOS and Carista but it's slow. Takes about a minute for the customize function to find all the settings and present options. It's my first time using an OBDII adapter interactively so maybe this is how it's supposed to work. Carista can read the settings but sometimes when I check MMI they don't match what Carista is reporting. I haven't purchased the app yet so I don't know what happens if I change anything. I'll have more time this weekend. YMMV.
The iOS version is currently FREE for beta-testers (including the Pro functionality). You still have to go through the "purchase" process, but you won't be charged. You will see some text in the white popup from Apple, saying that beta-testers do not have to pay.

Originally Posted by Redd
"Takes about a minute for the customize function to find all the settings and present options."
I see the same thing with Carista and a bt adapter in the port. Either it is Carista, or more likely the process of interrogating the car over the OBD port is slow. I don't recall what speed an OBD port uses but 1996-ish serial communications standards weren't lightning fast.
Yeah, communication is slow over these standards ELM327 devices that we use. In most cases, it takes between 30-60 seconds on VAG vehicles, but yes, what you're seeing sounds about right in terms of time. Note that Carista interrogate all relevant ECUs in the car before presenting the list of available customizations. This takes time.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, VCDS takes 2-3 minutes to go through the various ECUs in my S6 using the Ross-Tech cable. I've not yet tried it on my Q5.

Last edited by RobC; 02-20-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Next time I buy an Audi, I'll make sure it has all Intel eight-core processors.
With Turboboost memory.
None of this unbranded slow generic stuff.
(VBG)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Next time I buy an Audi, I'll make sure it has all Intel eight-core processors.
With Turboboost memory.
None of this unbranded slow generic stuff.
(VBG)
Carista released an update for iOS and I pseudo-purchased the app.

I can report that the ieGeek OBDII adapter works for 2012 Q5 on iPhone 6+. Disabled DRL "wink" with signal light as quick test. Will try other settings later this weekend.

Quick Reply: Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!