Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

cross shopping between Acura and Audi, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cross shopping between Acura and Audi, have a few questions

i'm in the market for a 5-seat or 7-seat SUV with budget of around $45k. right now i'm cross shopping between Acura RDX Tech, MDX Tech and Q5 2.0T PP. AWD isn't necessary, therefore i didn't choose them on the Acuras. i have following questions:

Q5 has a smallish interior space, i need to fit a child seat in the rear, can it still accommodate 2 more adults in rear with the child seat?

Q5's overall styling is long in the tooth, i have a feeling it will get a total redesign soon while both Acuras are relatively new especially the MDX, anyone wants to chime in on that?

how reliable is the 2.0T, i know they bumped up the hp number for the '14 models. i had an '06 A3 with the same motor, haven't had any issues for 20k miles before i sold it.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe the two Acura's have V6 engines. So I find it interesting you are in market for the 2.0T Q5. While the 2.0T is OK in my A4, I prefer V6 for the Q5. Whether 3.0 supercharged gas or TDI both are more refined in my opinion than the torquey 2.0T. Yes the 2.0T is standard in TT, A4, A5, and A6.

Audi is known for AWD and most of us wouldn't live without it in wet and dry weather. It adds to the vehicle stability, control, handling, etc.

I don't have a childseat, but I suspect that three adults across would not be that comfortable in the Q5 or RDX. Maybe the MDX would be OK.

So if you really don't need AWD, you are probably better cost-wise off with the FWD Acura's.

FWIW. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have both a 2010 MDX AWD and 2013 Q5 2.0T;

If I need to use a child seat: I would definitely pick that MDX as the Q5 is a very tight fit in the back for 3 adults normally, especially with the hump in the middle

Safety: MDX feels much more safer than the Q5, just because of its size

Styling: Q5 > MDX

Reliable: can't go wrong with Acura, but have no problems with either of the cars so far

If I was in your situation I would pick the MDX > Q5 > RDX
My favorite: Q5 > MDX due to how it drives
Both have powerful engines but I feel like my Q5 is better

I drive in a lot of snow: by no doubt the MDX SH-AWD is much better than Quattro...and feel like I am in more control in the MDX driving the same roads in the same conditions

if you want value: I would probably pick the RDX (never driven the new one)

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the two

P.S. My usage of the MDX has decreased a substantial amount since I got the Q5 .... it just drives like a sport car I think
Old 09-30-2013, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the OP's back seat requirements, sounds like the MDX is the best bet. I too considered the 2014 MDX before getting my 2014 Q5 TDI. It all comes down to your priorities. Three-wide in the back seat of my Q5 is non-starter unless it's a *very* short trip. As a rule, I never haul more than 3 others besides me, therefore that aspect wasn't a high priority for me... Personally, I think the redesigned MDX is a winner. A bit bland to-be-sure, but very capable. And 27-MPG Hwy is a nice leap forward for them.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brutus23079
With the OP's back seat requirements, sounds like the MDX is the best bet. I too considered the 2014 MDX before getting my 2014 Q5 TDI. It all comes down to your priorities. Three-wide in the back seat of my Q5 is non-starter unless it's a *very* short trip. As a rule, I never haul more than 3 others besides me, therefore that aspect wasn't a high priority for me... Personally, I think the redesigned MDX is a winner. A bit bland to-be-sure, but very capable. And 27-MPG Hwy is a nice leap forward for them.
Agree on all points
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by baydcsr
I have both a 2010 MDX AWD and 2013 Q5 2.0T;

I drive in a lot of snow: by no doubt the MDX SH-AWD is much better than Quattro...and feel like I am in more control in the MDX driving the same roads in the same conditions
Wow, I never heard that before. I have never driven the MDX, except for a short test drive, but I can't imagine it how it could best the Audi in snow?

Bob
Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty impressed with what I've read about the new MDX - especially the fuel economy, but I am not impressed with the way it looks. I actually preferred the styling of the previous generation MDX, and I find the new multi-lamp headlights a little too fussy, and rather insect-like. Still, if utility is your top priority, the MDX is probably the way to go. Or wait to see if Honda can shake some of the boring from the Pilot when it's redesigned.

I seriously considered the RDX myself when I was shopping last year, but found some of the missing options to be inexcusable for a luxury car. No height adjustment on the passenger seat, no rear HVAC vents, no pano roof option, no bixenon lights ... it goes on and on. The RDX is a solid value, but it's difficult to compare it option-to-option to the Q5. Plus Acura replaced the SH-AWD with the CRV's more pedestrian AWD system. (I know that isn't an issue for you, but it sure was for me.) I will also warn you that many RDX owners have been complaining of clunking from the rear shocks, particularly in colder climates. Some owners have gone through several sets and still have the problem. I understand you can expect some bugs with a brand new model, but it seems ridiculous that after more than a year in production, a reputable company like Acura still apparently hasn't found a reliable fix. (Or maybe hasn't looked for one?) They are shock absorbers for crying out loud. If you have some time and are interested, you can learn more about the shock issue here ...

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874856

The RDX and Q5 have been compared at length on several threads over on the Acurazine forums. I tend to ignore most of the bloviating on other forums. They are Acura owners after all, so of course most of them are biased. But I jumped in to stand up for the Q5 on the most recent thread, which can be found here ...

http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895543

Best of luck in your search!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I traded my Acura MDX (2008) for the Q5 (3.0T). The MDX is a big, heavy vehicle (at lest it felt that way when manuevering it) about a foot longer and 4 inches wider. Liked the vehicle overall except had some wierd issues with it.. Any set of tires I put on it they bacome very noisy after about 20K miles... Also, even though the car had 300 horsepower to get there you had to stop on it and get the valve lift going around 5000rpm -yes if huffed and puffed to get the 300 horses moving in contrast the Q5 hits its torq and HP rating at very low rpm - this is really much better performace curve, drive them both and you will feel this - this I believe it contributs to the better gas mileage aand smooth power delivery on the Q5 (we got only 20 - 21 mpg both in the city and highway) also. I had the Nav also - I hope by now they fixed the voice recognition - it was aweful (ask to dial Pizza Hut and it would dial Joe Smith!!)
Good Luck..
Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No Q7 in consideration. Would sure be a better comparison since size is a problem. MDX vs Q7 and RDX vs Q5. I always find Acura interiors WAY to Honda like, not alot of distinction. At least Acura got rid of there hideous leather seats with a billion little holes in it and obvious Honda switches. Lexus sure hasn't learned to not look like a tarted up Toyota though.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think, as has been mentioned, that you're somewhat comparing apples and oranges, in regards to the MDX vs Q5. The Q7 is the appropriate competitor in size and accommodations, to the MDX.

We tested the Q5 against every single similar vehicle from all the top brands. We ultimately chose the Q5 3.0T, and the decision was never even that close. We have a child seat in the rear, and would only put two adults back there with it in a pinch. But that's obviously going to be the case with any mid/compact SUV or sedan. You'll need a much larger vehicle to get more space back there.

Quick Reply: cross shopping between Acura and Audi, have a few questions