Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Creaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In mine there is a cargo cover that is attached to the rear hatch. The cargo cover lifts and closes with the hatch; when closed it rests on "rails".....it was at this contact point (hatch closed, cargo cover closed) while driving that the creaking would happen. I put three felt dots on each rail (6 in total)......problem solved
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 16 Wins
In mine there is a cargo cover that is attached to the rear hatch. The cargo cover lifts and closes with the hatch; when closed it rests on "rails".....it was at this contact point (hatch closed, cargo cover closed) while driving that the creaking would happen. I put three felt dots on each rail (6 in total)......problem solved
Thanks for this, 16 Wins - much appreciated. I'll definitely give this a try on my way home a little later today.

I'll apply the felt pads in the area that you've suggested (see pic 1: "Pic 1 - Cargo rail.jpg").

Hope this works.

Thinking that the creaks are actually from within the area that I've highlighted in my second pic though (see pic 2: Pic 2 - "Left rear - Interior.jpg").

Will let you know how I go.

Many thanks again...
Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The top pic is exactly where I attached 3 pads on each rail.

Cheers
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 16 Wins
The top pic is exactly where I attached 3 pads on each rail.

Cheers
No luck mate. The felt pads didn't abate the creaking noises. I've even had the cargo cover removed - but the creaks are still there.

Thanks for your help anyway...

Cheers.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try releasing the seat backs, apply a leather care product to the side of the seat and then resetting them back to their upright position.

Out of interest, I was also able to cure a rattle by placing a strip of adhesive felt pad on each rail/ledge that the cargo shelf rests on. Should be fitted by the factory as both my Q5's had this issue.

Last edited by GregH; 02-04-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a really bad creaking/rattling problem but mine is coming from the sun roof. I am taking it in to the dealers soon but I expect the standard answer, 'we cannot replicate the problem'
Good luck trying wo fix yours. It can be quite annoying driving with it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. My car has developed this creaking noise, but it took about four weeks to manifest. I know it's coming from the rear cover, but haven't done anything about it yet. Now, I'm going to try the suggestion.

It's sad to know that a year later Audi is still shipping vehicles witht this same problem. Seems like that is happening a lot with Q5's. "Updated" model, same problems. This is annoying when it's something that should be a simple fix.

Is it laziness or contempt for customers?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zamojski
I have a really bad creaking/rattling problem but mine is coming from the sun roof. I am taking it in to the dealers soon but I expect the standard answer, 'we cannot replicate the problem'
Good luck trying wo fix yours. It can be quite annoying driving with it.
I had the same issue and took it to the dealer. They drove the car and heard the rattle but didn't know the cause. AoA was aware of the problem and told them how to fix it--it seems that it required lubrication. They kept the car a couple of days. It's been fine ever since.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyOzzie
Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem with my Q5.

Actually, more specifically, the noise is akin to a loose item tapping against a piece of plastic (or plastic enclosure).

My initial thoughts were that the culprit was the back seats but having had the back seat frames replaced, the creak is still there in the back somewhere.

I am sure that the back seats are not the issue - I have folded them down and have adjusted their positions, but to no avail.

Dealer can't replicate the issue, regardless of a couple of times that its been in. However, the consistent and persistent tapping is making me insane, as I prefer quietness to increases in the stereo's volume to drown out the creaks.

I'm thinking that the noise emanates from the left rear, near the top of the top of the back left seats.

Any one here who may have had the same experience?

I'd appreciate any pointers to the right direction. Many thanks.
Hey, Ozzie I have a 2010 Q5, I've had this exact tapping noise issue from day 1. Dealer could not replicate. It's most noticeable when slowing to a stop from say 30 mph. I have a bunch of stop signs close together near my house (on a downgrade) and I always notice it during that stretch when braking. Very strange issue. Mine seems to be exactly where you circled the second pic on the driver side rear.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

This may sound crazy but something you could try. 1st spray some lubricant in the door locks and the metal hook the door latches to on all 4 doors. Spray Lithium grease works. My wifes cx-9 would creak everytime you accelerated or turned causing slight chassis flex.The other thing is lubricating all of the rubber door/ moonroof/ hatch seals with einzett gummi pfledge. It comes in a small bottle with a foam applicator. Before u doubt that dry rubber seals could cause creaking or rattles give it a try. My 13' q5 was making noises by week 2. After application all is quiet.It used to be a BMW only product. Worth trying for under $10.

Last edited by ssteigss; 02-05-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Creaking