Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cost of oil change (from dealer)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost of oil change (from dealer)?

For those of you who still use the dealer for oil changes, what do you pay? I just found out that my dealer increased their price by over $100 from a year ago. I'm embarrassed to even say what I'm going to be paying (I was 'ok' paying the old price but am not ok paying the new price and will only do it this one time and then move to an independent place that I know works on a lot of Audis).

Also, what do you guys pay at indy places, and what, if anything, do I need to ensure/insist that they use in terms of products, oil types...?

I have a 2010 with 75k miles.

Thank you!
Old 01-04-2024, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Why not do it yourself? Changing the oil and oil filter can easily be performed by a extractor via the dipstick tube, and the filter is on top as well. So there no need to crawl under the car to perform this maintenance service. I do this service on both our Q5 2.0L TSFI and the A6 Avant 3.2L engines using German filters and oil that meets the specified VW spec.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I'd like to do it myself, it's just not going to happen... Takes me 10 minutes to change a darn wiper blade sometimes (with all the adapters they come with now). No way I'm going to mess with oil/filters... I do change the cabin air filter myself, but that's about it (along with the wipers)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

We respect that you don't want to change your own oil, but it costs me as a DIYer $27 for 5 quarts of 5W-40 Castrol European Formula oil at Walmart and $8 for an OEM Audi oil filter. Total cost - $35.

Find a good independent shop that knows Euro cars and they will use the correct oil.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Petruska:
john1r (01-04-2024), mikeru (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My Audi dealership charges $280 for an oil change (2.0T engine) vs the $178 for independent VW/Audi mechanic that I go to. I don't like the dealership - they are always recommending little things here and there that always cost $300 each and they are so unorganized/large turnover of staff/other issues. Independent mechanic uses Motul engine oil.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm due for an oil change on my 2023 A6 3.0 V6. Quoted $358 from the dealer. That's not going to happen!
After researching the issue, I can see it's just not a hard job at all. Jacking up or ramping up the car, isn't
even necessary, as there is no need to drain the oil from the bottom. On the 3.0 V6, the oil filter access is right
up front, and there's a so-called dipstick tube right next to it for easy access with an oil extractor. A 32MM socket is
required for removal of the filter cap. The engine takes a special oil, which is on the expensive side however. The standard used is 0W-20 oil,
and apparently needs to have the VW208 standard. I couldn't find the oil or filter locally, but I was able to find it
on Amazon. Total cost of oil (8 quarts) and filter is about $90. I spent another $70 on the extractor and socket, which obviously
I can use for future oil changes.

I am experienced at DIY jobs like oil and filter changes, so the actual job for me was fairly easy. However, it's frustrating
to me that it was so hard to find information like capacities, fluid and filter requirements, etc. This information for some strange reason,
isn't in the owner manuals, and required extensive research. Shame on Audi for making this process so difficult, and so ridiculously
expensive, especially at the dealers.

The following users liked this post:
mikeru (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Everything keeps going up in price for all brands. Don't bother shaming Audi when every auto brand in the world makes more money on service than on the original purchase price.

The Ravenol oil change kit for my TDI went from sub $100 2 years ago to $125 right now.

Switched over to Liquid Moly kit and it still cost $105 after shipping.

So yeah a dealership is going to charge no less than $200 when the fancy oil costs that much.

BTW, don't cheap out on oil. Just about every person with a blown up 2.0 T Audi engine can trace their problem back to using basic cheap oil at some point. (it's still a flawed engine design but give it cheap oil and it's going to be worse)

Last edited by simplesez; 01-05-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealership charges $160 for an oil change on my Q5 TDI. With that, they also fill-up the DEF tank and give a multi-point inspection. Worth the money for me. Does keep me in a better relationship with the dealership and service advisor since my car is still covered under the Dieselgate extended warranty. When the warranty goes, then I’ll do the topside oil change myself.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatnxtQ5TDI
My dealership charges $160 for an oil change on my Q5 TDI. With that, they also fill-up the DEF tank and give a multi-point inspection. Worth the money for me. Does keep me in a better relationship with the dealership and service advisor since my car is still covered under the Dieselgate extended warranty. When the warranty goes, then I’ll do the topside oil change myself.
Lucky!
When I had my Subaru it was $30 oil changes and free multi point inspections. It helps so much, I never had long term issues with that car as they told me if I had a worn bushing or a throw out bearing going bad. Made it so easy to maintain.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Simplesez...

About your 'shaming' comment.
Agreed. Except to this point: If I pay $90 for oil and filter, and it takes me 30 minutes or so to do the oil change, you know the dealer probably
has somewhere around $60 or so in parts and maybe 20 minutes in labor, then hands me a $358 bill to pay.. And, after waiting for 2 days to
get the job done, Yes.. I'm going to shame Audi. The nickel and diming these dealers do (granted, it's not just Audi obviously) is pathetic.
Plus... They say they do a free "multi-point inspection". I doubt it. No wonder so many cars get ruined by lack of proper service and
maintenance, or by people who aren't experienced or lack the aptitude to do maintenance items, attempt to do it themselves anyway.

Last edited by DopeyD; 01-06-2024 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Cost of oil change (from dealer)?