Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering a Q5 to replace my RX450h... Looking for Q5 Owner Input!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
That's a good data point on the TDI issue, and I understand the desire for a more "driver separated ride" when dealing with rougher roads, and Lexus is certainly known for that. The sportier ride in the Q5 could also become a deterrent for my wife as she actually enjoys the butter smooth ride in our RXh. I'm a little happier with more responsiveness and more engaged feedback while driving, but alas, it will be my wife's car, and not mine, so her preference will rule the decision regardless of which way it goes.
Forgot to mention we are buying the 2018 rx 300, new to Australia.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

F250 - A couple of things to consider: I've owned 2 Q5s so I have some experience.

1) To add to someones point about the mirrors, and it's somewhat trivial, but the AC vent chrome reflects in the driver's window and can be distracting
2) Q5s are VERY expensive to repair, and subsequently to insure, if you get in an accident. I recently was involved in an accident, i rear ended a hyundai in front of me who panic stopped. They drove away with a cracked bumper and broken tail light, my Q5 had $13k in damage and was un-driveable - had to be flat bedded from the scene. yes my fault, just pointing out repair and insurance costs are high (and no, the air bags didn't deploy). I'm dumping the Q5 for a 2018 GM full size SUV and my annual insurance rate dropped $400. Just something to consider
3) There have also been 5 recalls on my '16 since i bought it in august of 2015, so while Audi is good to fix issues, there have been a high number of recalls in under 24 months.
4) Are you going to tow anything? if so, add the hitch and make sure the towing capacity is sufficient
5) The Nav sucks. I'll leave it at that.
6) No oil consumption issues on my '16, but my '12 was affected

I know that this sounds a bit negative, and I've already got my flame suit on as this board is over run with somewhat blind Audi fans, but over all, the Q5 is a good reliable small SUV, and as with any make/model it has its good points and bad, you just have to decide if the good outweighs the bad.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a RX300 and went to a 011 Q5 and now have a 014 SQ5. Love the SQ5. The 3.2l engine in the Q5 was a turnoff. Would never go with Lexus again. Handling is poor and road feedback lacking. No navigation issues for me. Newest Q5 are stunning.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 3.0 T Sport package, premium plus with Drive Select and Bang and O sound system. I am coming form a 2013 GS F-Sport. I love love love this vehicle. Bough with 55,000 now have 68,500 and man the driving dynamics with a plus+
Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not had a Lexus, but occasionally drove my mom’s GX. She ended up selling it with a little over 285,000 miles on it. It was a very soft riding car.

I have a 2010 Q5 with the 3.2L engine. I have just over 209,000 miles on my car. Other than normal wear items, it has been mostly trouble free. I have never had a carbon problem that some people experienced with this engine. It has been more dependable than my Infinity that it replaced.

I would buy another, just don’t care for the nav on the new models. Looks like they stuck a tablet to the dash. I know other manufacturers do that too, I just don’t like it. I am starting to look at replacements, but have no intention of getting rid of my car for a while.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5 2015 2.0 premium plus

Hello to all. Just like the title says, I'm looking for input into my consideration for a Q5 to replace our 2010 RX450h. I'm considering either the 2.0T or the Hybrid due to mileage ratings. I like the thought of the 3.0T, and really like the thought of a SQ5, but this is to be my wife's DD/grocery-getter and our tripper vehicle, so the mileage outweighs the fun factor issues associated with either the 3.0T or the SQ5. In all honesty, we love the RXh we have, but my wife has recently discovered that she struggles with some visibility issues on the front corners due to the body pillar/mirror arrangements (she is only about 5'1", and is very petite). I, on the other hand, am a linebacker kind of guy and have no issues with visibility at all in the RXh. So, even though we've only had the car for about 16 months, I'm considering my options for a replacement with better visibility.

For context, I'm looking at the 2013-2105 year models with less than 70,000 miles, and would prefer to only consider Premium Plus or Prestige trimmed models.

QUESTIONS...

1) Are there any current Q5 owners here who have moved from the Lexus RX vehicles to the Q5? If so, please share your reasons for the switch and if you would make the same decision again.

2) Reliability... it seems to be a mixed bag with Audi in general. Please share your reliability satisfaction/concerns. I would also appreciate any list of "typically weak areas" for the Q5 family in the 2.0T or Hyrbid models along with what preventative steps are required to prevent the "typical weak areas" from becoming costly problems.

3) Any Q5 Hybrid owners? I really want your thoughts and experiences about your Q5h.

4) From my reading, it seems like the 2.0T oil consumption issue was resolved in the 2013+ year models... Have I understood that correctly?

5) Are there any typical transmission issues?

6) Can someone please speak to the carbon buildup issue... year models where it is not or is less of a problem, typical cleaning costs, can the cleaning be done DIY (I'm really big on DIY), etc.?

7) I have not yet seen the information... does the 2.0T have a timing belt or chain, and if belt, what is the change schedule, and can it be done by me in my garage?

Thanks for any and all input!
Pete
I have a 2015 Q5 2.0T monsoon grey, premium plus model, and we have had no real issues in three years. There have been a few recalls though on some small things that Audi took care of free of charge each time and they are very nice about it. The 2.0 I think is plenty adequate as far as pick up and go, no issues there for me.I get around 23 mpg overall. You need to use premium fuel, top tier fuels and fully synthetic oil.The ride I think is fairly quiet and responsive. Now you do need to take care of them and do all the maintenance when it is required, which is normally about once a year. I will hand wash mine monthly and wax it once or more yearly, but I'm kind of particular about that, more than others. I too was trying to decide between this car and the RX, but I just happened to like the Q5 better as far as available features, body style and power train. you kind of have to hash it all out and decide what you'd be happier going with. So far, I'm still liking this car.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Love Lexus but the RX is turd slow. 0-60 in about 7 sec isn't much fum for me.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lots of good input from all of you. Thanks for that.

I'm definitely going to pursue some serious test driving with the wife once the days get back to a little more normal temperature range.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Lots of good input from all of you. Thanks for that.

I'm definitely going to pursue some serious test driving with the wife once the days get back to a little more normal temperature range.
Last month I traded in my 2015 RX350 for a 2015 Q5 3.0T. While I can vouch for the vaunted Lexus build quality, reliability and dealer experience, the soul crushing ride and handling were too much to bear. A persistent exhaust/intake droning noise in the RX didn't help either. It drove me nuts.

I'm happy with my choice to swap into the Audi and look forward to many years with my Q5
Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

... this is to be my wife's DD/grocery-getter and our tripper vehicle, so the mileage outweighs the fun factor issues associated with either the 3.0T or the SQ5. In all honesty, we love the RXh we have, but my wife has recently discovered that she struggles with some visibility issues on the front corners due to the body pillar/mirror arrangements (she is only about 5'1", and is very petite)...

For context, I'm looking at the 2013-2105 year models with less than 70,000 miles, and would prefer to only consider Premium Plus or Prestige trimmed models.

QUESTIONS...

1) Are there any current Q5 owners here who have moved from the Lexus RX vehicles to the Q5? If so, please share your reasons for the switch and if you would make the same decision again.

2) Reliability... it seems to be a mixed bag with Audi in general. Please share your reliability satisfaction/concerns. I would also appreciate any list of "typically weak areas" for the Q5 family in the 2.0T or Hyrbid models along with what preventative steps are required to prevent the "typical weak areas" from becoming costly problems...
Thanks for any and all input!
Pete
Hi,
we have 2010 Q5 3.2L NA + 6-speed and 2012 RX350.
In 6 years only one problem w/ RX-defective wire/connection to the horns.
Audi: defective water pump, defective DRL modules, leaky sunroof, defective starter and couple of other issues-those were fixed under warranty; defective door lock and something else (can't remember now) happened after the warranty expired.
If it is a grocery- getter just keep your RXh.

my 2p

Quick Reply: Considering a Q5 to replace my RX450h... Looking for Q5 Owner Input!!