Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Confirmed - 2.0T 4 cylinder for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Confirmed - 2.0T 4 cylinder for 2011

My dealer confirmed that the 2.0T gas engine from the A4/A5 will be available as the base model Q5 for 2011 starting this fall. To me that is good news. If it seems OK on a test drive that's what I'll probably get to replace my 2008 A4. I guess it could lead to the kind of firestorm we saw on the A5 discussion when it was introduced last year. Many A5/S5 owners feel it lessens the perceived value and/or exclusivity of their V6 and V8 models. This engine has been available in the Q5 in Europe for some time and the tests I have seen are positive. Anyone else happy to see this engine coming to the Q5?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
My dealer confirmed that the 2.0T gas engine from the A4/A5 will be available as the base model Q5 for 2011 starting this fall. To me that is good news. If it seems OK on a test drive that's what I'll probably get to replace my 2008 A4. I guess it could lead to the kind of firestorm we saw on the A5 discussion when it was introduced last year. Many A5/S5 owners feel it lessens the perceived value and/or exclusivity of their V6 and V8 models. This engine has been available in the Q5 in Europe for some time and the tests I have seen are positive. Anyone else happy to see this engine coming to the Q5?
I cannot say that I am happy, although the 2.0T is a great engine, it is under power for a SUV this size and weight. I thought even the 3.2 is underpower and was hoping Audi would put the 3.0T from the A6 in the Q5. I guess I am glad I bought an 2010 and didnt wait.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by The G Man
I cannot say that I am happy, although the 2.0T is a great engine, it is under power for a SUV this size and weight. I thought even the 3.2 is underpower and was hoping Audi would put the 3.0T from the A6 in the Q5. I guess I am glad I bought an 2010 and didnt wait.
Don't forget, the 2.0 has more torque than the 3.2. Torque is considered very important in SUV's in terms of getting heavier loads moving, especially at lower speeds. Most Q5 owners in the US are not likely to be loading their Q5's down, so I don’t know how relevant this point will be. I believe I read 0-60 is like .6 seconds slower with the 2.0T which might annoy a lot of people, but would be fine for me if the MPG's are significantly better with the 2.0. If it is not that more economical, then I would probably go for the 3.2 myself.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Test numbers aside, I own a A6 and drove the 2.0T A4 quite a few times. The 3.2 is quicker than the 2.0T and the 3.2 i2 quieter as well. Personally, I would not pay $40K+ for a 4 cyl SUV.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not to go too far off topic, but I read recently Mercedes is going to be offering a 4-cylinder in the S Class in a few years, but apparently not in the C or E. This seems so crazy to me. It is almost as if economy and smaller engines are the status way to go these days to prove that even the rich are just "regular Joes". Hybrids are in many ways pointless, but there is apparently great prestige in owning one - that's one I never got either.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:59 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, having options and variety is a good thing. The 2.0T has a good track record, I hope they tweak it to give more hp like for the TT. Personally I love the 3.2L and the only engine I would prefer over it is the 3.0TDI
Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not to go too far off topic, but I read recently Mercedes is going to be offering a 4-cylinder in the S Class in a few years, but apparently not in the C or E. This seems so crazy to me. It is almost as if economy and smaller engines are the status way to go these days to prove that even the rich are just "regular Joes". Hybrids are in many ways pointless, but there is apparently great prestige in owning one - that's one I never got either.
Its the image of being green, looking I am so rich I can affort a hybrid. Small engines are very popular in Europe, but in the US, the land of the super size, it havent quite caught on yet, but all it will take to catch on is another $1 or 2 price increse in a gallon of gasoline. I know thate BMW have been talking about a 6 cyl 7 series forever, they offer it in Europe but not here in the US. Someday it will happen, as smaller engines are becoming more and more powerful. To move a SUV the size of the Q5, the engine should be at least 250 hp in my opinion.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I drive just me 98% of the time and never carry a lot of things, so I am hoping the 2.0T would be sufficient for my aging right foot. For families and normal people I agree with you. Also, I don't need an SUV but will probably get a Q5 simply becasue I cannot stand the interior (mostly dash and standard seats) on the B8 A4. To me the interior of the Q5 is the best Audi is currently offering - the A4, A5. A6 all have what I call "acres of ugly fake aluminum plastic" around the instrument cluster and strange seam lines on the seats like a Honda Fit or Mazda 3. Seriously.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I drive just me 98% of the time and never carry a lot of things, so I am hoping the 2.0T would be sufficient for my aging right foot. For families and normal people I agree with you. Also, I don't need an SUV but will probably get a Q5 simply becasue I cannot stand the interior (mostly dash and standard seats) on the B8 A4. To me the interior of the Q5 is the best Audi is currently offering - the A4, A5. A6 all have what I call "acres of ugly fake aluminum plastic" around the instrument cluster and strange seam lines on the seats like a Honda Fit or Mazda 3. Seriously.
If you drive alone most of the time and dont really push the car much, then the 2.0T will be just fine. The funny thing is that the 2.0T is not that much more fuel efficient than the 3.2 or the 3.0T, but the 2.0T is cheaper for Audi to produce.
The Q5's interior for teh most part is the same as the A4 and A5. The A4 still come with wood trims on some models I believe. I am with you on not liking the aluminum trims, it makes the car look cheap and cold. As far as the seats, the Q5's seats are ok, a bit better than the A4, but not much. The inerior and seats are much better in the A6 and A8.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Personally, I would not pay $40K+ for a 4 cyl SUV.
+1.
$45K in my case
Diesel, maybe.

Quick Reply: Confirmed - 2.0T 4 cylinder for 2011