Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Climate control on AUTO always turns on AC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control on AUTO always turns on AC?

I noticed that everytime I turn on AUTO setting for the climate control, the AC is turned on as well, even when it's 5 degrees outside. Is there anyway to set it so that this does not happen in the winter time? It seems really counterproductive to have the AC running when it's so freakin cold outside. I've heard before that it's to help defog the windows and whatnot but I still find it really strange. And won't having the AC on when the outside temperature is so low hurt the car? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sungkyoo115
I noticed that everytime I turn on AUTO setting for the climate control, the AC is turned on as well, even when it's 5 degrees outside. Is there anyway to set it so that this does not happen in the winter time? It seems really counterproductive to have the AC running when it's so freakin cold outside. I've heard before that it's to help defog the windows and whatnot but I still find it really strange. And won't having the AC on when the outside temperature is so low hurt the car? Thanks in advance!
Interested to know if this can be done -- in AZ for 6 months out of the year AC is unnecessary, air's already dry. I know you can turn AC off after setting auto and the climate control will still try to acclamate -- so the wider the differential, the higher the fan setting.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you tried turning it off and driving around in freezing temps? The windows will start fogging up within a few minutes and it's a driving hazard. This is a feature in every car I've ever had with climate control. Not just Audi.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Have you tried turning it off and driving around in freezing temps? The windows will start fogging up within a few minutes and it's a driving hazard. This is a feature in every car I've ever had with climate control. Not just Audi.
I've been turning off the AC and driving with just the auto setting on and I've had no problems whatsoever with the fogging, even when it's below freezing outside. Maybe if I had a few people in my car then the fogging might be a factor, but I've had no problems with fogging as long as I've had the climate control on.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just leave it on

I've now decided to leave my AC on all the time. I went through a Jetta and an 03 A4 Avant where I would lose cooling power after the winter of keeping the AC generally off. After talking to Audi/VW and the dealers it seems that there is a high likelihood of the AC coolant becoming clogged if it doesn't run the whole year. This didn't make sense to me as my air conditioning unit at home is off 6 months of the year and starts just fine every spring/summer.

But my 2009 A4 Avant had no problems when I left the AC on during the winters. So I now generally keep the AC running all the time. My understanding is that it doesn't run when it's not required.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A/C on doesn't mean it's running. It means it's ready to use when required. Every auto climate control system does this as I know.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Most cars won't run the A/C compressor even if switched on if the temperature is 45 F or below. I believe Audi's are the same.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will just leave it on all the time then.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A/C will definitely not function below freezing/there is a temp switch in the system. Don't sweat it.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Since I am a old mfer I remember the days when it was manual to set the ac. It also meant no one used it for maybe a half a year or longer depending on where you lived - this would leave the seals drying out and hence leaks. I always ran the ac once a month even in the dead of winter.

Quick Reply: Climate control on AUTO always turns on AC?