Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra

I didn't notice any discussion regarding clear bra on Q5 section. Does anyone have it on Q5, would you recommend it or does it make some visible lines where the plastic film ends?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I have it and like it.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zico
I didn't notice any discussion regarding clear bra on Q5 section. Does anyone have it on Q5, would you recommend it or does it make some visible lines where the plastic film ends?
I have it... it really depends on how picky you are about the lines... but you could always wrap the full hood and the quarter panels
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just noticed https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2704068 and it seems like that Ibis White (color of my car) is the worst color for clear bra.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea, the material may yellow a bit over time so it will be a bit unsightly...

But having used it on my last car and hitting a bumper (think it was made of PU and not metal) that dropped off a vehicle in front (at night); to come out of it without having to replace my whole front it end, it was worth it

That influenced my decision to get it on the Q... personally, I think it's a peace of mind thing... some people worry about chips and dings while others don't.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by D_Frost
some people worry about chips and dings while others don't.
This is the crux of it. If you're not bothered by the little dings and chips that you'd inevitably get, then skip it. If you are though, then the slightly visible line at the transitions is worth the protection. Have it on both our cars, and don't regret it at all.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it depends on the color of your Q5. Silver and white, but blue, dark grey and black each knick will appear white so it will stand out really badly.

I got it installed and I do not regret it -- especially after catching a couple rocks on a recent road trip. The knicks are in the plastic coating, but not the car.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have a Q yet, but I have put a clear bra on all of my vehicles, and I plan to put a clear bra on my Q before it leaves the dealership. I don't notice the line unless I'm looking for it, and it has caught a lot of rocks and pebbles. Great for after a winter here and rocks are always flying.

One thing to note, if you do get it, make sure not to take it to a power wash station for a little bit. Give it time to dry and adhere. Have seen one too many times, someone washing their car, and get water under the edge or catch a corner and have it start to tear or peel off. Just give it a little time is all.

I have had my Rav4 for 11 years+ and I don't see any yellowing at all. My Sienna, can't even see it's there! I do find it somewhat a little more difficult to get the bug goo off after a road trip, but it does come off
Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by zico
Audi Q5 original protection for the front of the car. Price 205 Eur
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had it installed on my Q and the line is not visible unless you are really looking for it or when you are really close to the car. The bra eventually will turn to yellow a bit and may get scratches or chips but it can be peel off and re-install.

Quick Reply: Clear bra