Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cargo Cover becoming the deal breaker....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
lms
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Cover becoming the deal breaker....

I brought a Q5 home overnight for an extended test drive. I previously drove both engines, and the X3 and the RDX, and now aI m getting ready to commit. I love most everything about it, except for the price and.....

... that stupid cargo cover. It's really problem for me. I can't just take it out. A couple times a week I need to keep some valuables in the car that I can't have someone see, and they are big and not lightweight.

I banged my head on that sucker twice yesterday. Even if I could get used to knowing the cover is there, cranking my torso around to not make contact with it is a real pain (literal, figurative). And, I just shouldn't have to do that on a 45k vehicle.

So, has anyone come up with any other solutions besides "live with it" and "live without it"? I am seriously looking at the possibility of cutting notches in the side where it meets the trunk opening so that I can at least move it up higher, but that kind of surgery is a bit risky, and I am pretty good with tools but still leery of doing that.

LMS
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lms
I brought a Q5 home overnight for an extended test drive. I previously drove both engines, and the X3 and the RDX, and now aI m getting ready to commit. I love most everything about it, except for the price and.....

... that stupid cargo cover. It's really problem for me. I can't just take it out. A couple times a week I need to keep some valuables in the car that I can't have someone see, and they are big and not lightweight.

I banged my head on that sucker twice yesterday. Even if I could get used to knowing the cover is there, cranking my torso around to not make contact with it is a real pain (literal, figurative). And, I just shouldn't have to do that on a 45k vehicle.

So, has anyone come up with any other solutions besides "live with it" and "live without it"? I am seriously looking at the possibility of cutting notches in the side where it meets the trunk opening so that I can at least move it up higher, but that kind of surgery is a bit risky, and I am pretty good with tools but still leery of doing that.

LMS
seriously...i have no idea what you're talking about. i've re-read it a few times trying to picture what it is you're doing that makes you bump your head and i can't see it. i've owned mine for a year and a half now and have NEVER bumped my head on the cover. i've got 2 kids too, so lots of stuff to carry around.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my Q for a few weeks and we're not having any trouble with the cover either (5'9 & 6'). Are the strings that attach/lift the cover adjustable in any away, so it could be tilted up higher if needed? (My husband has stolen the Audi once again, so I can't go out to check)

My old SUV had a sliding awning-style cover, which was super flimsy but it was nice that it was completely retractable.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Remove the cargo cover and tint the windows. Thats what i did with mine, no one can see in there. I didnt do it for the same reasons you list but I think it would work out fine for you. I think I did 35% on top of the factory tint and its very dark from the outside but still has good visability looking out from the inside.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must have something to do with your height - how tall are you?

I'm 5'10" and I've never noticed it in 18 months of ownership.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm 6'2" and no problems. I am just as likely to bump into a wall when walking, i just watch out for it when moving, lol. Not trying to an a$$, just a little humor.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS
Remove the cargo cover and tint the windows ...
That's a viable compromise. I'm 6-2 and just recently put the cargo cover back in the Q (having removed it on delivery day). I've hit my forehead on the edge of the elevated lid a couple of times. But, I've adjusted to it being there now, so I'm not bopping myself any more. I think you can get used to it given some time.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamaudi
... (My husband has stolen the Audi once again, so I can't go out to check)
Dastardly man !!!!

That's what you get for always getting the new car and it being so fun to drive....

If you women would let US have the new car once in a while.....
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JFA in L.A.
That's a viable compromise. I'm 6-2 and just recently put the cargo cover back in the Q (having removed it on delivery day). I've hit my forehead on the edge of the elevated lid a couple of times. But, I've adjusted to it being there now, so I'm not bopping myself any more. I think you can get used to it given some time.
This is a silly thought but what if you set your rear gate to open higher? Would that lift it out of the way?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barksdale
This is a silly thought but what if you set your rear gate to open higher? Would that lift it out of the way?
i was thinking the same thing. the rear gate opening height is adjustable, so maybe the op currently has it on a low setting?

Quick Reply: Cargo Cover becoming the deal breaker....