Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Carbon Build Up...Sell It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ozfst
Very sad to see all the negative replies. If you love the Q you will keep it and do what you have to to maintain it. No other crossover is like the Q which, is why I chose it. I have 46,000 on my 09 3.2. If I need to do a carbon clean every 40-50k I am ok with that.

If you can afford to replace your Q every 3 years go for it. The 09 Q is one of a kind and the newer years seem to have more rattling issues and I do not like servotronic steering either.
+1
at last some review gives hope. you are right nothing is like the Q5. i've that carbon build-up issue at 32k miles and while being fixed i got mercedes GLK as a loaner for about 2 weeks. in my opinion, the only thing the GLK excels the Q5 is the smoothness of the ride, other than that Q5 is much better. with the Q5 you feel like you are hugging the road, as with any Audi, mastering the corners and having that feeling of being connected to the road. hope you guys get what i mean. i'll hope the guys at Audi find a nice solution for that headache. meantime i'll keep loving that car and enjoy driving it
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Audi Q5 3.2 is nearly 36k, been using it as my daily commute and so far, still drives like new... took it to the mountains twice already and never disappointed me
Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Yes, but were all your other cars Direct Injection? DI is a very different beast to port injection - fuel quality is not what causes carbon on the back of the inlet valves.
This is what Audi recommends..

Keep your Audi performing as it should. By using TOP TIER fuels, you help avoid deposit buildup on your vehicle’s engine, which can affect performance. In addition, using the correct engine oil can help prevent costly repairs.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theCue
This is what Audi recommends..

Keep your Audi performing as it should. By using TOP TIER fuels, you help avoid deposit buildup on your vehicle’s engine, which can affect performance. In addition, using the correct engine oil can help prevent costly repairs.
It does help keep injectors clean, have to give it that. Unfortunately that's not the car's Achilles heel.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
It does help keep injectors clean, have to give it that. Unfortunately that's not the car's Achilles heel.
+1

Issue - Direct injection engines such as FSI get carbon buildup on the valves and injectors because there is no fuel passing over them as it does for other engine designs - so no cleaning. This leads to misfires, loss of HP (substantial) and potentially other issues for the engine.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2817781

A U.S. patent application filed in 2002 by Volkswagen AG explains the DI-engine carbon-deposit dilemma this way: “Gasoline engines with direct injection of the fuel into the combustion chamber…suffer especially from the problem of the formation of carbon deposits…especially in the neck region of the intake valves.”

The document describes these deposits as a sticky coating of oil and fuel constituents that, once formed, serves as a base for further deposits, creating “a circular process, by which the coating thickness of the carbon deposits continuously increases.” Excessive carbon deposits “have extremely negative effects,” the patent application concludes, citing significant performance losses, sporadic ignition failures and, potentially, holes burned in the structure of the catalytic converter (should bits of carbon break from the valves and pass though the combustion chamber).
http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/...-adopters.html

-Dennis
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1
Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also had Audi Q5 3.2 (2010) as is nearly 36k, been using it as my daily commute and to upstate NY every other weekends, still drives like new... and never disappointed me so far.....Maybe i am lucky? I think if you drive everyday and do your normal maintenance than it should be okay? am i right?...Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how often do you guys change your oil?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
how often do you guys change your oil?
i change it every 10k miles ant the dealer. mine is 09
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
i change it every 10k miles ant the dealer. mine is 09
when your turbo charged you have to change your engine oil every 3500 to 4500. dont listen to anyone at the dealers telling you to change your oil every 10k miles. my dealer changes my oil every 4500 miles on my 2012 2.0T Q5. My friends are boosted and they need to change their oil every 3500 to avoid carbon build up. And we are talking about 400HP to 500HP turbo charged engines which has carbon build up like theres no tomorrow. 10k on a non boosted car is fine.

Quick Reply: Carbon Build Up...Sell It?