Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Carbon Build Up...Sell It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By any chance has this been addressed or fixed on the 2012's FSI? Can't believe they are still selling these cars with such a widespread issue. Gives me doubts on buying a new 2012 S-Line.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sorry to ask this dumb question, but how would you know that you got a carbon built up in your engine? is that when the engine lights come on? and usually the dealership will tell you that you got a carbon built up in your engine?

I'm just curious, cause I have 36k in my 2010 Q5 3.2, and it gets serviced every time its due, but I never encountered the dealer telling me anything about carbon build up in my engine. Or does this happened only on a 2.0T?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The CEL will come on and stay on. Then the dealer breaks the news to you. Then you cry.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Guaranteed to happen again after the cleaning. You'll buy yourself some time, but definitely dump it if somebody doesn't come up with a better (cheaper) solution.
This is one of the main reason why I switched to the Lexus.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very sad to see all the negative replies. If you love the Q you will keep it and do what you have to to maintain it. No other crossover is like the Q which, is why I chose it. I have 46,000 on my 09 3.2. If I need to do a carbon clean every 40-50k I am ok with that.

If you can afford to replace your Q every 3 years go for it. The 09 Q is one of a kind and the newer years seem to have more rattling issues and I do not like servotronic steering either.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ozfst

If you can afford to replace your Q every 3 years go for it. The 09 Q is one of a kind and the newer years seem to have more rattling issues and I do not like servotronic steering either.
Thank you!

I miss my 2009. Wish I kept it. The interior materials are better and the heated seats work much better too!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by by-tor
Yup got the bad news...carbon build up... need to take the engine apart and clean it! 2011 3.2 s-line with 50k on it-covered under warranty. Did some research and found this is a bigger problem than I initially thought. Anyone out in cyber space have this done and then have the problem return later??? Luv the truck but don't want to be stuck with a money pit as it ages...
you have to consider one thing before switching... carbon build up are caused by the gasoline you use and the driving condition.
I'm not a sales rep for Chevron, but I've been using that brand for a long time and never had issues with carbon build up... always use a top tier gasoline to prevent carbon build up.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 08-17-2012, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's what Audi recommends:

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o...uirements.html
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine is as solid as ever!

Originally Posted by ozfst
Very sad to see all the negative replies. If you love the Q you will keep it and do what you have to to maintain it. No other crossover is like the Q which, is why I chose it. I have 46,000 on my 09 3.2. If I need to do a carbon clean every 40-50k I am ok with that.

+ 1

I have 40+k miles on my 2010 3.2 and it drives as solid as ever. I drive an average of 350 miles on highway/winding road/secondary road and dirt, only on week-ends, mixing driving styles and never get tired, so much I enjoy driving it.

When the time comes I will just deal with it, in the meantime I will continue loving everything about it!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maynard0418
you have to consider one thing before switching... carbon build up are caused by the gasoline you use and the driving condition.
I'm not a sales rep for Chevron, but I've been using that brand for a long time and never had issues with carbon build up... always use a top tier gasoline to prevent carbon build up.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Yes, but were all your other cars Direct Injection? DI is a very different beast to port injection - fuel quality is not what causes carbon on the back of the inlet valves.

Quick Reply: Carbon Build Up...Sell It?