Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

car shakes when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shakes when shifting gears

hi guys,

I have a 2011 Q5 3.2L.

I am seeing this problem everyday. when my Q5 starts to run, it always shakes when shifting from D2->D3 and D3->D4. you can feel a little bang. I see this issue since the first day I got this car.

So i'm wondering if this is a common issue among Q5?

I really appreciate your responses!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious if this happens at all load (throttle) settings? I find if just casually accelerating, it is very smooth and I don't feel anything. If in sport mode and under heavy acceleration, I can feel a little bang into the next gear, but not in a bad way, a good way.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gstide
hi guys,

I have a 2011 Q5 3.2L.

I am seeing this problem everyday. when my Q5 starts to run, it always shakes when shifting from D2->D3 and D3->D4. you can feel a little bang. I see this issue since the first day I got this car.

carbon build up is an issue with the Q5 3.2. There is a thread on this.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get a small push when running it in manual mode at lower speeds.. smooth as silk in auto mode, don't how carbon buildup could cause this since my car just went through it.

does it shake at idle too? how many miles were on it when you purchased?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gstide
hi guys,

I have a 2011 Q5 3.2L.

Both my 2011 and my 2012 Q5 had this issue. Most of the loaner cars we had during our ownership experience that had a 6 speed transmission, also had this issue. They also exhibited this trait when downshifting through those gears, but to a lesser extent. It feels like a jerk, sometimes small, most of the time large, as it switches gears, if yours is the same as mine was. It was always the 2nd-3rd, and sometimes 3rd-4th gear shifts, all others were smooth as anything. There is no fix for it that we could ever find. If you take it to the dealership and ask them to fix it, they'll tell you they're going to "re-adapt" the transmission. If they do it, make sure they re-adapt ALL gear shifts, because just doing one or two makes a bad problem significantly worse. I know this from experience.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 03-27-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bad Andy
I am curious if this happens at all load (throttle) settings? I find if just casually accelerating, it is very smooth and I don't feel anything. If in sport mode and under heavy acceleration, I can feel a little bang into the next gear, but not in a bad way, a good way.
my car only has 10k miles on it. and i usually drive gentlely. I tried it in both D and S. same results.

the 'bang' is very obvious when d3->d4. d2->d3 has it as well but less noticable.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
Both my 2011 and my 2012 Q5 had this issue. Most of the loaner cars we had during our ownership experience that had a 6 speed transmission, also had this issue. They also exhibited this trait when downshifting through those gears, but to a lesser extent. It feels like a jerk, sometimes small, most of the time large, as it switches gears, if yours is the same as mine was. It was always the 2nd-3rd, and sometimes 3rd-4th gear shifts, all others were smooth as anything. There is no fix for it that we could ever find. If you take it to the dealership and ask them to fix it, they'll tell you they're going to "re-adapt" the transmission. If they do it, make sure they re-adapt ALL gear shifts, because just doing one or two makes a bad problem significantly worse. I know this from experience.
yeah, same here d2->d3 and d3->d4. no matter how gentle i was, it just happens. sigh~~

besides this issue, occasionally the wheel also creates some ga-ga noise when i turn it sharp under slow speed or stationary. because this doesn't happen always so dealer doesn't think there is a problem.

i really like Audi's appearence. but i most likely will avoid it next time when i update my car.