Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Burning smell??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell??

Hi guys I picked up my 2012 audi q5 s line this morning and the car is unbelievable BUT I just got home parked it in my garage, and as I was getting out I could smell something burning. I didn't think it was the car at first so I started it up and turned it off again and it still smelled like something was burning once I got out of the vehicle. I was going to call the dealership but its closed, just thought I'd post here just in case someone has experienced this problem.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't worry about it. It is various over spray on engine components, left over assembly fluids on engine exterior parts, and general automobile break-in. In less than a week, if not much sooner, it will go away.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by palumbo3284
I wouldn't worry about it. It is various over spray on engine components, left over assembly fluids on engine exterior parts, and general automobile break-in. In less than a week, if not much sooner, it will go away.
+1 Absolutely nothing to worry about. Enjoy, it's all part of the "new car experience".
Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not to Worry

+1

The fresh leather smell on the inside will take care of that for the next 6 to 9 months. Enjoy!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nothing to worry about. I just picked up my Q5 a few weeks ago and experienced the same smell. I have 500 miles on it now and the smell is gone. I attribute it to all of the new parts breaking in. I had a 2010 Q5 as well and remember it having the same smell for a while too.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Great news - just picked up my Q5 on Wednesday and had a burning brake/clutch smell when I got home and again every time I've gotten out of the car after driving - hope it's the same issue and goes away...
Old 12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you are not alone, i picked up a new Q5 a couple of weeks ago and experienced the same smells, however i was told its the AUX heater settling in..

my TDI has an electric heater to warm the cabin up much quicker then relying on the engine to warm up.. smell was gone after a couple of days of cold

hope this helps..

Andy..
Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Normally I'd expect some smells with a new car but this one had me a little worried because (like some others here) it smelled exactly like burnt brakes or clutch. But it's gone now. It took about 150 miles.

When buying 'off the lot', the car has usually been started and run a number of times before delivery. But in most cases we're getting cars we've ordered that haven't been driven much (if at all) before delivery. Smells are to be expected until the hot parts (turbo, catalytic converters, exhaust system) have heat-cycled a few times.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ya I called the dealer and he said similar stuff. He said I should give it a couple weeks and if the burning smell is still there then I should get it checked out. Thanks for replies guys.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I beleive Audi coat the bare metal parts with a protective spray to fight the effects of the salt water while the car makes its way across the ocean. Usually that coating will burn itself off after a while.

Quick Reply: Burning smell??