Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brand New Q5 with Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
If the one that is $1500 more MSRP is the one you really want, have you talked to them about maybe splitting the cost? Now is when you have your most leverage. :-)
+1
Old 12-05-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 494 Posts

+2
Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
If the one that is $1500 more MSRP is the one you really want, have you talked to them about maybe splitting the cost? Now is when you have your most leverage. :-)
Well, I don't value the additional options to pay money for them... That's the vehicle I want because its here and the only car in the city that has the same options.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LBM1126
Well, I don't value the additional options to pay money for them... That's the vehicle I want because its here and the only car in the city that has the same options.
Audi's obligation is to fix your car, and giving you a replacement vehicle while it is out of use. You could pursue the lemon law if you have met the criteria, and at best you will get your money back.

This is a compromise situation for AoA, your dealer and you. Its not your or the dealer's fault, so you could make noise at the AoA level and see if AoA will make an accommodation. You want to speak to the regional AoA manager. Perhaps a no-cost extended warranty on the replacement vehicle, but then you will definitely not get a replacement vehicle with extra equipment too.

AoA has been through this before, so they have their policies and you can only push them so far.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Audi's obligation is to fix your car, and giving you a replacement vehicle while it is out of use. You could pursue the lemon law if you have met the criteria, and at best you will get your money back.

This is a compromise situation for AoA, your dealer and you. Its not your or the dealer's fault, so you could make noise at the AoA level and see if AoA will make an accommodation. You want to speak to the regional AoA manager. Perhaps a no-cost extended warranty on the replacement vehicle, but then you will definitely not get a replacement vehicle with extra equipment too.

AoA has been through this before, so they have their policies and you can only push them so far.

Good luck.
AoA is involved. I don't have contact with anyone with decision rights though. They can't repair the car before lemon status is up, so if I don't accept the trade in I can demand just a repurchase. My point is shouldn't they be trying to entice me to stay with them? And if they don't do anything more and actually give me a car that I value less (despite same MSRP), why should I accept that when I can take my money elsewhere where I will certainly have a better experience than what I've had thus far. I have no loyalty to Audi. This was my first Audi.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

AoA is involved. I don't have contact with anyone with decision rights though. They can't repair the car before lemon status is up, so if I don't accept the trade in I can demand just a repurchase. My point is shouldn't they be trying to entice me to stay with them? And if they don't do anything more and actually give me a car that I value less (despite same MSRP), why should I accept that when I can take my money elsewhere where I will certainly have a better experience than what I've had thus far. I have no loyalty to Audi. This was my first Audi.
I truly feel your pain. I know it's easy to play armchair quarterback over the board but I would take the issue up the AoA chain of command until you get satisfaction. You have a compelling case and if you present in a constructive and compelling way, you should get a reasonable response. Steve
Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are saying the entire transmission has to be replaced. They are going to trade me out. The dealer that I bought it from doesn't have a comparable vehicle on the lot, but actually the dealer where I've had the car serviced (because it's 2 miles from my house that's where they took the car), had a vehicle with the exact same colors and options, plus I think the sport package and side assist, something like $1,500 above the MSRP of my vehicle. I asked for that vehicle, since it was everything my car had and mostly it was HERE which meant no more waiting. This has been such a nightmare, I put 106 miles on the car in less than 72 hours when it failed the first time, expressed my concern with the car, they put me back into it anyway, drove it 20 miles before it failed again. Anyway, the sales manager called me today and said they weren't putting me in that car because the MSRP was $1,500 more than the car I bought. Instead they found a vehicle at another dealer which is NOT local so therefore it has to be brought in... it didn't have one of the options (rear seat air bags) but instead has the upgraded phantom black paint color (versus mine which is brilliant black) so it's the same MSRP.

I think it's so ridiculous that they won't put me in the car that's here over $1,500. Probably takes them about that to have the other car transported here, plus I now have to wait a week. And I don't really car about the paint color, so it's like I am getting less options than what I had.

I am trusting the Audi brand is better than my experience thus far by letting them trade me out at all... because they can't fix the car in the lemon law period (30 days here, at 16 now) and I could demand a repurchase by law. You would think they would give me something to try to make it right. Not make me wait a week over 3% on the car. When I expressed this to the sales manager, she literally said to me "yeah we don't compensate you for the pain and hassle, but I'm sorry about that". What a nightmare.
Get what you want. For me that meant no negotiating on the options I paid for; in my case 19" wheels, B&O, Premium Plus. Not an uncommon combo however I was only willing to take tan/grey interior which are rare. However, there were many exterior colors I was willing to consider. The dealership found me a vehicle en route to the US and intercepted it. They would have ordered me a '13 (since there weren't any more '12s available at the time) and I would have paid extra for the 3.0T and built one they would have had shipped but it didn't come to that. They would not give me a vehicle with MMI even though they had lots of those around, because I wasn't willing to pay for that, much like you -- they're consistent on that for whatever reason. Can't fault them, just seems like a strange choice but that's their prerogative. As others have mentioned their obligation to you as a current customer is to repair your vehicle to working order and provide you with alternate transportation, which they did for me and sounds like are doing for you. I agree that to keep you as a future customer they ought to put you in a replacement vehicle (since again, they don't seem keen on extending warranties for free). Best of luck, like I said, just make sure you get what you bought -- the vehicle you want running properly.

As far as compensation for "pain and suffering", I'd say I was compensated in the form of 4400 miles on my previous Q5 that were not factored into the replacement vehicle purchase price, plus what I put on the loaner for 3 weeks while they fixed it. Doubt you'll get anything different, your issue appeared much faster than it did for me.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a brand new 2014 Q5 2.0 a little more than a week ago. On day 3, I was given a "transmission malfunction" error and unable to put my car in reverse. It had to be towed from my garage to the nearest dealer. After 2 days in the shop, I was told it was a failed mechatronic unit, for which a part had to be ordered from Germany and that would take 7-10 days to get in. It has now been one week since my car was placed in service.

As a new Audi owner, obviously downright frustrated and outraged at this issue of not having a functional vehicle on day 3 of my purchase. I've had little success getting attention from Audi on the matter. The dealer who sold me the car initially said that they would replace the vehicle, then a few days later came back and said Audi told them they could not do that; they would only repair the vehicle and pay my first month's car payment. I was not happy with this response as clearly the car sold to me was faulty and in my mind should be replaced right away given the complete malfunction in less than 72 hours of ownership, and since my car will be in the shop for more than 2 weeks of course they should be paying my car payment because I'm paying for a car for which I do not have possession. I've not received a reply since I expressed my dissatisfaction with these terms to the dealer.

I've got several questions:
1) Is it true that if the mechatronic unit is replaced I shouldn't have concerns with long term issues with this vehicle? Clearly, with the car breaking down in 3 days I don't feel it is exactly reliable. I've driven Toyotas for 12 years and never had to have a car towed.
2) Have others had issues with BRAND NEW Audi's and if so, what measures were taken by Audi to correct the issue? So far, I've been completely disturbed with the level of service I received. Rather than proactively trying to resolve the issue it has been on me to follow up and attempt to find a resolution. I do not think simply paying 1 month of a car payment is fair compensation for the hassle or inconvenience of the issue, particularly since it was 3 DAYS OLD and will now be in service 4X longer than I've actually been able to use the vehicle. The dealer says "it's not our fault" but yet I haven't been able to talk to anyone directly with any authority to remedy the situation.

Any advice is appreciated. Given the level of quality and service I've experienced thus far, I'm honestly wishing I could just send it back and go buy something else. I never would have expected to have more car trouble than I've ever experienced in my life on a brand new car. Clearly, the Audi brand is not all its cracked up to be.
1. Read your state Lemon law and get good understanding what is cover by this law
2. Document everything:
phone call (who, when what time)
visit to dealer, speak to (name, date, what time)
3. You get extra expenses (like a rent a car) - documented + receipt from rental agency and/or your credit card.
DOCUMENTED FREAKING EVERYTHING!
3. Cars is very complicated mechanism. this can happen. be prepare for long fight and if you not happy with repair or you think they not do above and beyond their duty for your new car- get a GOOD lemon lawyer.
Good Luck!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

LBM-
I would consider the rear air bags to be a safety issue (duh?) and have a calm quiet talk with that manager again. Then see the dealer principle (the owner) if the manager is no help.

Explain that you will not compromise on your family's safety, and that you are willing to pay for the extra items on the other car. But if they really expect you to take a car that compromises on your family's safety, then you WILL invoke the lemon law, which will be held against both the dealership and Audi (they're scored on these things) and if that's the way they are certain they want it...so be it. And of course once that lemon law is invoked, they may have to take another hit on your existing car when it is disposed of.

Ask them if they would prefer to speak to AudiUS, or if they would prefer for you to speak to AudiUS, if they still say no.

But stick to your guns. Even if the dealer's hands are tied by Audi, that still leaves Audi able to go the extra mile and compensate for your inconvenience. Give them as much rope as it takes, for them to decide if they want to be heros, or hang themselves with it.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 12-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redd
LBM-
I would consider the rear air bags to be a safety issue (duh?) and have a calm quiet talk with that manager again. Then see the dealer principle (the owner) if the manager is no help.

Explain that you will not compromise on your family's safety, and that you are willing to pay for the extra items on the other car. But if they really expect you to take a car that compromises on your family's safety, then you WILL invoke the lemon law, which will be held against both the dealership and Audi (they're scored on these things) and if that's the way they are certain they want it...so be it. And of course once that lemon law is invoked, they may have to take another hit on your existing car when it is disposed of.

Ask them if they would prefer to speak to AudiUS, or if they would prefer for you to speak to AudiUS, if they still say no.

But stick to your guns. Even if the dealer's hands are tied by Audi, that still leaves Audi able to go the extra mile and compensate for your inconvenience. Give them as much rope as it takes, for them to decide if they want to be heros, or hang themselves with it.
+1!

Quick Reply: Brand New Q5 with Issues