Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brakes Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Help

Just had the brake light come on for my 2011 Q5 2.0T. Have approx. 39K miles.

Quote for brake pads from a reliable shop that I use for oil changes is $200 to just do the pads. It would be $500 to do the pads and rotors. Since the car is leased I am hesitant to do the rotors as I only have about 1 year left. No safety concerns on rotors but shop will not warranty against squeaks or shutter.

Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are they turning (cutting) the rotors for that price or just slapping on new pads to the existing rotors?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boltsfan
Just had the brake light come on for my 2011 Q5 2.0T. Have approx. 39K miles.

Quote for brake pads from a reliable shop that I use for oil changes is $200 to just do the pads. It would be $500 to do the pads and rotors. Since the car is leased I am hesitant to do the rotors as I only have about 1 year left. No safety concerns on rotors but shop will not warranty against squeaks or shutter.

Thoughts?
At $500, I'd do both. Most dealers are quoting anywhere from $700-850 to do it. I paid a private shop near me $550 for the job, so $500 is even better. I'm told (and most on forum have echoed) that Audi's rotors are thinner than some to save weight and are intended to be replaced at the same time as when new pads are needed (unless you burn pads in 10k miles or something crazy like that) Besides, it's cheap insurance knowing that you've got a brand new brake set up...especially when you go to turn the car in off lease. Then they can't charge you a fee for "abnormal" wear and tear or "neglecting" proper service.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replys.

$200 for new pads. And I do not have time to do them myself.

It's not a matter of cost but if it is really necessary to replace the rotors. I understand car manufacturers are using softer materials to save weight and smoother braking but 40K miles seems too early to replace rotors.

If it was a safety issue (which it isn't) then it would be a no brainer... but since it is not, I will just do the pads. With only a year left on the lease I know I will not get dinged when I turn the car in and lease a new Audi.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

40k is normal for front brakes on the Q5 and id say replacing the rotors is necessary.

Replacing both pads/rotors should take about an hour to DIY. ($300 w/ OEM parts)
My guess is you don't have the ability more than the time.

In that case find an independent shop to do the work as they almost always charge less.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
40k is normal for front brakes on the Q5 and id say replacing the rotors is necessary.

Replacing both pads/rotors should take about an hour to DIY. ($300 w/ OEM parts)
My guess is you don't have the ability more than the time.

In that case find an independent shop to do the work as they almost always charge less.

I only use an indy shop and they stated it was not necessary and up to me. I spoke to a friend that has a brother that owns a shop and he said it is not necessary either.

I don't know you at all so how would you know my ability. I have changed brakes myself but just do not have the time to do it before a road trip tomorrow. The brake light just went on.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on how worn the rotors are you can get away with turning them. You always want a fresh surface for new brake pads to bed to.

If you don't you can easily end up with uneven brake pad material deposits across the face of the rotor. These inconsistencies will cause brake shudder.

We have pads and rotors available for your Q5, feel free to shoot me a PM for a quote.

Jason
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
Depending on how worn the rotors are you can get away with turning them. You always want a fresh surface for new brake pads to bed to.

If you don't you can easily end up with uneven brake pad material deposits across the face of the rotor. These inconsistencies will cause brake shudder.

We have pads and rotors available for your Q5, feel free to shoot me a PM for a quote.

Jason
Which is exactly why they will not give the OP that warranty.

Hopefully they are paying attention to your advice, but I doubt it based on their posts.

I also find it very amusing that without measuring your rotors they can tell you "it was not necessary and up to me" and "a friend that has a brother that owns a shop and he said it is not necessary either". It is a safety issue. Maybe not at first, but eventually your rotors will wear past their minimums and you'll, no not you, but the next guy will get less braking power.
If you're good with that then why come here asking for "thoughts"?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was simply asking for some opinions (thoughts) and some were helpful and some were obviously not.

Is "Brake Shudder" a safety issue? No, it is not.

Do I care if "the next guy" has warped rotors? Nope.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say its pretty much guaranteed that if you just replace the pads with out turning the rotor or replacing them you will have brake shudder, brakes that squeal, and braking performance will not be optimized.

If that's something you can deal with for the next year by all means just replace the pads.

Most shops can turn rotors for under $20 a rotor.

Good luck!

Jason