Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Auxiliary Heater Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Again, my windows 10 runs flawlessly. I have the latest update that came out about week ago. I can select any app as default, no lock out.

The 2018 Q5 does nothing for me; Fake Quattro, Fake automatic trans, Fake exhaust, all kinds of complaints for shifting issues, hesitations, noises, start/stop rumbles, etc. Plus to me that body style looks dated.

So now my top two list to look at for my next SUV is Jaguar and Alfa Romeo, but I may look at Volvo. It will break my heart to give up my VCDS and Audi tweaks. But at my old age I prefer nice tight handling in the twisties, otherwise the top criteria in my next vehicle is a great heater and AC. The rest of the fluff that they put on vehicles these days I can do without.

You better hurry up and get that R8 loaner your are looking for, as I saw that Audi will drop that model in 2020, with no replacement.
I recently took a look at the Alfa Romeo Stelvio CUV. Nice all around vehicle (the infotainment is lacking a bit) but for now I can't get over the hurdles of reliability concerns and the long term outlook for the AR brand in the U.S. Sorry, back on topic.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had ours done last week, took about 1 hour extra from which they thought, no big deal. Now wondering what I should notice that's different?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

x-
The only difference you should notice, assuming that you had the auxiliary heater enabled in the AMI menus, and that the service tech also left it enabled (I think they leave it however you had it, so it could be either way) is that after the repair, when you first start the car on a cold day, billowing flames and clouds of smoke will no longer gush out of the heater vents.

Of course if you didn't have that problem to start with, you wouldn't notice anything different at all. Just the usual.

If you still need to toast marshmallows, you will have to wrap them in aluminum foil and secure them to the exhaust manifold. They take about ten minutes to get crispy that way.(G)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I recently took a look at the Alfa Romeo Stelvio CUV. Nice all around vehicle (the infotainment is lacking a bit) but for now I can't get over the hurdles of reliability concerns and the long term outlook for the AR brand in the U.S. Sorry, back on topic.
Yes, the Stelvio is at the top of my list. I only put on 3K miles a year on my SUV, reliability doesn't bother me because of that. Dealer is close by and my friend owns a large towing service The other half of the family has a 2014 Honda CR-V which they prefer over the Q5 for ride alone. I also have a Tacoma pickup that I drive the most in my retirement years. MY SUV is just sort of a toy to play with so I might as well get something that handles great and puts a smile on my face when I drive it hard.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Bob as a hard core Alfisti I'm sure not going to try and dissuade you.Might as well have some fun ! Now if they stick the VM Motori 3.0L diesel in there I'm in.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read quite a few Stelvio reviews and generally they are quite positive with just a few niggles from reviewers. I haven't driven one yet due to my concerns but may one of these days. The 280hp/306ft lb engine sounds like a gem with great performance.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 01-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I've read quite a few Stelvio reviews and generally they are quite positive with just a few niggles from reviewers. I haven't driven one yet due to my concerns but may one of these days. The 280hp/306ft lb engine sounds like a gem with great performance.
If I buy it will be April/May as I live in northeast PA and right now the road quality is horrible for meaningful test drives. I live near the intersection of I80/I81 and those interstates are like washboards near the dealer.

At this point in my life I even question why I own a SUV that I only drive 3K a year and sits outside (the Honda CRV and Tacoma PU are in the garage). I have owned 20+ vehicles over my driving life and they were all manual trans until the Q5. I really miss a manual trans and I really like 1963-67 Corvette coupes with "manual trans". You only live once...........
Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Oh come on Bob there's nothing to get excited about with a 327 4bl.cranked to 9 is there !
Old 01-27-2018, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had the heater recall along with the TDI update. Been back twice now for them to fix a "whistling" sound now when the heater is on high or anything more than very low. It's going back again for brake pads in a few days to fix the horrible squeal when cold and I'm not taking it back until they fix it this time. Audi service guys have been nice, but they seem no better than the old VW dealer I had to utilize. I'll stick to working on my own cars as usual.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMAZCO
I've had the heater recall along with the TDI update. Been back twice now for them to fix a "whistling" sound now when the heater is on high or anything more than very low. It's going back again for brake pads in a few days to fix the horrible squeal when cold and I'm not taking it back until they fix it this time. Audi service guys have been nice, but they seem no better than the old VW dealer I had to utilize. I'll stick to working on my own cars as usual.
Thanks for the update, I'm still waiting on mine. I'm not looking forward to some 'highly skilled technician' *smh* taking my dash apart. Can you give more detail of where you think the whistle is coming from? Floor, Vent, Passenger, Driver Side....

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Heater Recall?