Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Automatic radio turn on

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Automatic radio turn on

Is there a way to prevent the radio from turning on automatically when I start my Q5?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by floraudi
Is there a way to prevent the radio from turning on automatically when I start my Q5?
Turn the radio OFF before you STOP your Q5.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like it if the radio/any music didn't start anytime you press any of the other function buttons.

For example...the whole system is off when I start the car. I hit the NAV button. System turns on, the NAV menus/screen shows up AND...music starts playing.

There are times when I get in the car but I don't want to listen to music but I want to do something like access the NAV or ADS or PHONE without having music.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by abcabc
I would like it if the radio/any music didn't start anytime you press any of the other function buttons.

For example...the whole system is off when I start the car. I hit the NAV button. System turns on, the NAV menus/screen shows up AND...music starts playing.

There are times when I get in the car but I don't want to listen to music but I want to do something like access the NAV or ADS or PHONE without having music.
I was actually a little curious about this, myself.

I guess you just have to tap the mute button, as that essentially stops the music source from playing. But seems a little awkward, if you ask me.

On a related note:

The other night we were traveling home, and I wanted to shut the music off. I held down the volume/power button longer, and shut the whole MMI off. However, that still left the silly Audi splash screen on the display. Is there any way to just have a completely black display, when the system is powered "off"?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only I have seen to do this is to MUTE the music or lower the volume and go into the settings to turn the screen off. I have not seen an easy way to do this as it requires some maneuvering to find the option.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
I was actually a little curious about this, myself.

I guess you just have to tap the mute button, as that essentially stops the music source from playing. But seems a little awkward, if you ask me.

On a related note:

The other night we were traveling home, and I wanted to shut the music off. I held down the volume/power button longer, and shut the whole MMI off. However, that still left the silly Audi splash screen on the display. Is there any way to just have a completely black display, when the system is powered "off"?

The only way to turn the entire screen off - including the Audi Splash Screen - is to press the Menu button near the selector on the console, then select the setup MMI option (upper right). Once you click on that, you can select the display options and then "Turn off Display". You can also set the display brightness here.

When you want the display to come back on, you can simply press the return button. I believe you can also get it back by pressing any of the function buttons, but I'm not in my car right now. I can't believe that they buried this so many menus down. It would be more useful if you only had to hold down the volume/ power button a few seconds longer to turn the screen off completely.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

And please a quick suggestion....
Let's make sure we are NOT MOVING when we try these out.