Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi's alliance with Google

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gredi67

Imagine this hypothetical scenario: a customer has a budget of $30,000 for a new car. He could buy a base model A3 or a CLA250. Imagine also that the A3 has Google integrated and the Merc has iOS. He also owns an Android phone/tablet as does his wife and 2.4 children. In essence, he has hitched his wagon to the Android universe and would (all other things being equal) likely choose the Audi. Why? By his previous purchasing choices, he has decided not to buy into the Apple way of doing things and those choices would likely carry over to the auto purchase decision making process. Conversely, if this guy had chosen Apple, he would likely buy the CLA.
Hypothetical scenario or not:
I'm buying Audi due designs and layouts, quality workmanship, comfort, safety, driving quality is not due multimedia and whether supports Android, iOS or Windows.
The decision to purchase a car model because of phones and tablets
Anyone who buys a car due the operating system does not have a clue about cars. Easier and cheaper to change-buy new a phone/tablet

Car is purchases for driving and enjoying the same

Last edited by spijun; 02-02-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Hypothetical scenario or not:
I'm buying Audi due designs and layouts, quality workmanship, comfort, safety, driving quality is not due multimedia and whether supports Android, iOS or Windows.
The decision to purchase a car model because of phones and tablets
Anyone who buys a car due the operating system does not have a clue about cars. Easier and cheaper to change-buy new a phone/tablet

Car is purchases for driving and enjoying the same
^ This
Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
As we know, the next Q5 will be coming from Mexico! For my money anyway, I expect to be moving to something else still sourcing from Germany.

Agreed meanwhile with many of your general points.
If the Q5 is built in Mexico, China or Seychelles has no bearing on the quality of the product. Audi managers, engineers et al. determine the design quality. Audi knows the Q5 is a quality design.
No matter where the Q is built, the burden is on the quality engineers and inspectors to determine if the product is ready to ship to a customer.
U S brands (Chevy, Ford, etc.) back in the day did the opposite...built it and shipped it using loosely based designs and left it up to the dealers to sort it out and you all know where this led. You try is sell a car with 1963 specs nowadays and you'd be hung out to dry (Yugo).
Quality is designed in and the quality is assured to meet specifications at the manufacturing plant level. The guys on the assembly line put it together per training from Audi production teams and specs and the final inspectors assure it was done according to the specifications from Audi. It really has not much to do with the ethnic origin of the worker nor the country the product is built.
fyi for Q5 Bob I paid $4/mo for the Audi connect 4-yr subcription in Sep when I bought the Q5.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bpp, that's a great rate on the Audi Connect subscription. Was that a T Mobile special or something negotiated with the dealer?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
As we know, the next Q5 will be coming from Mexico! For my money anyway, I expect to be moving to something else still sourcing from Germany.

Agreed meanwhile with many of your general points.
All Audi models are not produced in Germany long time

- Audi Q7 model in Bratislava

- Audi TT Coupé, Audi TT Roadster, Audi A3 Cabriolet and Audi RS 3 Sportback in Győr, AUDI HUNGARIA

- Audi Q3 in Martorell, Spain

- Audi Hungaria produced a total of 1,915,567 engines
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
bpp, that's a great rate on the Audi Connect subscription. Was that a T Mobile special or something negotiated with the dealer?
The $450 30 month prepaid T-Mobile offer has been available to all Audi owners with Audi Connect since early 2013. Originally in mid-2012, it was only available for MY 2013 owners within 7 days of purchase but was expanded to everyone at any time.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bpp
If the Q5 is built in Mexico, China or Seychelles has no bearing on the quality of the product. Audi managers, engineers et al. determine the design quality. Audi knows the Q5 is a quality design.
No matter where the Q is built, the burden is on the quality engineers and inspectors to determine if the product is ready to ship to a customer.
U S brands (Chevy, Ford, etc.) back in the day did the opposite...built it and shipped it using loosely based designs and left it up to the dealers to sort it out and you all know where this led. You try is sell a car with 1963 specs nowadays and you'd be hung out to dry (Yugo).
Quality is designed in and the quality is assured to meet specifications at the manufacturing plant level. The guys on the assembly line put it together per training from Audi production teams and specs and the final inspectors assure it was done according to the specifications from Audi. It really has not much to do with the ethnic origin of the worker nor the country the product is built.
fyi for Q5 Bob I paid $4/mo for the Audi connect 4-yr subcription in Sep when I bought the Q5.
Exactly what he said. We tend to blame poor quality on ethnicity where quality is fully in the hands of the company quality engineers. Quality is not (should not be) an afterthought; it should be built into the full system including design, training manufacturing methods etc.

Quality is defined as conformance to specification and it does not matter who or what works on the product, it must merely conform. American companies failed horribly in not managing this aspect when they sent production and jobs overseas. They were purely interested in the lower cost associated with cheaper labor, not realizing that quality costs money and cheaper labor may not be more cost effective. If we look at this phenomena from a holistic perspective we got screwed. Fewer manufacturing jobs in America and a resultant lower quality product - a double whammy. Do not blame it on the Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese or whatever other ..."ese" you could find. Blame it on the greediness of corporate America and the politicians that allowed this to happen.

If you want to see what quality did to (motor car) manufacturing we need to look at Japan and specifically Toyota who over the years used the concepts developed by Edwards Deming to have a 360 view of quality and use techniques such as Kanban and others to provide products that exceed expectations. Here we had a work force that was far behind the industrial cycle of the world, and caught up with the help of an American who was shunned by his own country. Even today Toyota uses quality as an intrinsic component of everything it does - design/manufacturing, sales, marketing, IT, wherever you go it is there.

I do agree that the initial batch (year or so) of vehicles out of a new factory with a new work force may be suspect, but that is to be expected. Have a look at the fiasco of the BMWX5 during the first few years in a new factory on American soil in South Carolina. Everybody laughed at the American work force. The basic quality process is Plan-Do-Check-Act and even with the best Planning there will have to be some Acting to correct something that does not Check out properly while being Done.

The workers can do it if they are applied appropriately by the company and the company's commitment to continued quality.

Off my soap box now. Hope you enjoyed this basic introduction to quality.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The $450 30 month prepaid T-Mobile offer has been available to all Audi owners with Audi Connect since early 2013. Originally in mid-2012, it was only available for MY 2013 owners within 7 days of purchase but was expanded to everyone at any time.

I am not sure why this subscription is time based. Surely you will only use the feature while you are driving and will not consume any bandwidth if you do not drive.

If I drive 10,000 miles a year and someone else drive 20,000 miles a year, the other person will have the opportunity to use the twice as much.

Surely it will be more fair to have this subscription based on consumption and link it to miles traveled, rather than a time period?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Bpp is paying $4/mo hence the comment on a great rate. I renewed after the trial period @ the $15/mo.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
The rate was offered at signing...now or never. )

Quick Reply: Audi's alliance with Google