Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Letter extending warranty for 2009-2012 3.2 and 2009-2013 3.0T engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I agree and should the carbon problem be beyond the warranty now provided, I hope Audi will deal with it appropriately as well. Only Audi knows the real scope of this problem, and it all comes down to the future bottom line which includes both repair costs, lost sales, and lease end losses. For those affected by this, it is easy for me to give this opinion, but the affected should keep their voices going in this forum should Audi not do the right thing. For example, Audi provided most 2009 and 2010 3.2 engines with 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty extension because of the water pump fiasco.
I had the WP breakdown, and was very happy to get that letter because I can now keep the Q5 for at least 5 years w/ some peace of mind - of course there are a lot of other things that can go bad becides the drivetrain, but those things can go bad on any other vehicle including X3, may be less likely in RX350, but the ride quality of RX is not comparable to Q5's.
This new leter would give me even more peace of mind because the 3.2L Q5 appears to be very solid vehicle otherwise - I don't see too many complaints on this forum or audizine, and I now would be more likely to keep our Q 5, 6 or even 7 years rather then trade it in after 4. And IF after 6-7 years it is still runs well I can give it to my daughter as her 1st car.
Q5 is a very safe and stable on the road, something I don't feel in my RX 350; Quattro is defnitely superior to toyota's AWD.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Unfortunately it had exactly the opposite effect for me - less confidence.
My concern is if down the road, other parts of the engine might also exhibit a problem with carbon build up that will not be covered after the reg. warranty. For example, the valves. Sure, it might never happen but after the letter, it does give me pause. I'm planning on keeping my 2013 A6 for many years.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my letter today from Audi Canada.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
For sure. But it's easier to say what the wty. extension only covers vs what it doesn't (for those motors and model years): cleaning of the engine cylinder head secondary air ports if it throws a MIL. Period. Nothing else. Nada.

My only concern is why they did this in the first place. If it's a rare issue, why extend the wty. for cleaning this one part(s) for everyone with a qualifying engine/model year? Why not treat it as a customer satisfaction issue/TSB when if and when it comes up? Is it not as rare as one would believe? And what other parts of the engine could be affected by the "build up of carbon under certain driving conditions" that isn't covered after the standard warranty expires? It would appear the customer is on his/her own.
Got the letter today w/ my VIN on it so I guess I'm one of the "Certain 2009-2013 model year Audi Vehicles with 3.0T Engine". By saying “certain vehicles”, do they mean some of those model year vehicles with the 3.0T or 3.2l engines are not involved? Are some of the other 3.0T variations immune? Probably not. IMO the wording was left intentionally vague. I believe that they are only including the SAI ports and no other parts that can be affected by carbon (intake valves etc.) because the SAI ports are part of the emissions control system that is regulated in the US by the EPA. It looks like a CYA move to me. I wonder if the issue is being similarly addressed in countries where there are less stringent emission regulations? Don’t get me wrong, I am very glad that they extended the warranty for this although I do wish they had included some of the other components, just wondering out loud about the motivation. As others have pointed out, there have been virtually no reports of this happening on a 3.0T so I’m really not too concerned. My 2011 3.2l was a different story. At least they finally admitted there was a problem and took some action. Love this car! On a side note, I took delivery last December and so far have had exactly 0 issues. I stop by the dealer once in a while anyway just to talk to the SA who I came to know really well with my last Q. He always gets a funny look on his face when I drive up.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i was always under the impression that "carbon" build up might affect to 2.0T engine rather than 3.0T. i am quite surprised to see that 3.0T is included in the letter of warranty extension. 3.2L i am not so surprised as many threads have been talking about carbon build up.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my letter as well for my 2012 3.2.

Seems to me Audi has been delaying this extension until an option alternate to dropping the engine for cleaning became available.

Either way, I plan on keeping the Q for a long time, and this puts me at ease about this potential problem down the road. Now I dont have to worry about short trips around the city.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
Got my letter today from Audi Canada.

Same wording as the US letter? Same duration/"mileage"? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Same wording as the US letter? Same duration/"mileage"? Thanks.
Canadian Letter:
- 10 years/193,000 km
- covers "only the diagnosis and cleaning of the engine cylinder head secondary air ports to remove carbon build-up"

I was about to ditch my 2010, as I have already had to have the engine dropped at 35,000km. On the fence now - still not a fan of Audi Canada, given they didn't extent the warranty etc., for the water pump failure as was done by Audi USA (I was stranded early on with the failure). It's my first Audi, and likely my last. This letter helps a bit - gives me more time to consider options - but I am unlikely to keep the Q5 w/o getting an extended warranty. Too bad, as the Q is fun to drive, and most of the other issues seemed to have sorted themselves out now.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm happy read that Audi Canada is following the same measures

BCD-1
Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just curious. What are the symptoms of the carbon build-up? Just bought an 2014 SQ5. Hope the issue was addressed in this model. My guess is that the exhaust manifold is very different for this 3.0 engine.

Quick Reply: Audi Letter extending warranty for 2009-2012 3.2 and 2009-2013 3.0T engines