Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Letter extending warranty for 2009-2012 3.2 and 2009-2013 3.0T engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauly001
Interesting that it appears they have not covered the 2.0T engine in those model years where this issue is common.....
"This issue" (clogged secondary air ports) does not pertain to any 2.0t's EA113 or Ea888
Old 08-17-2013, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Maybe so, but as result, it also adds some uncertainty about what other carbon build up issues issues there might be with other parts of the engine not covered by the extension after the standard warranty runs out for those of us who plan on keeping our car for several years afterward.

Goodness. Not sure what to think. Let me ask this, what about the 7000 other things that could potentially go wrong with this car.....OR ANY OTHER CAR?

For Audi it is "damned if you damned if you don't". They stepped up to give owners security that "if" the problem happens they will take care of us. Didn't take a class action lawsuit and probably won't affect but a handful of cars.

This is my 7th Audi since 1989. Love the car and drive the **** out of it. IF you are looking for anything beyond that you are missing all the fun and probably fit the Honda demographic better. :-)
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default +1, this is going to keep me with Audi

Originally Posted by Satch0922
Goodness. Not sure what to think. Let me ask this, what about the 7000 other things that could potentially go wrong with this car.....OR ANY OTHER CAR?

For Audi it is "damned if you damned if you don't". They stepped up to give owners security that "if" the problem happens they will take care of us. Didn't take a class action lawsuit and probably won't affect but a handful of cars.

This is my 7th Audi since 1989. Love the car and drive the **** out of it. IF you are looking for anything beyond that you are missing all the fun and probably fit the Honda demographic better. :-)
My Wife's Q5 had the SAI carbon issue @ 40k miles, so it was covered under warranty (the first time). We use top tier gas, we run techron occasionally (though I realize this probably doesn't help), and it still happened. I'm certain it will happen again.

As a result, approaching 50k miles and end of warranty, I was starting to push my wife to another car. Probably not an Audi (X3, gasp). This warranty extension settled me down and gave me more confidence in Audi. It was a smart thing for them to do from a brand loyalty and residuals POV. Yes, it was a business decision in the end, but I for one am very happy they did it -- and am not spending time looking for underlying conspiracy
Old 08-17-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Got the latter as expected .... Had APR stage 2 in my plans, closer to when the original warramty would raun out, I guess if I go for it I can throw this Audi latter into the garbage and hope for the best .....

I'm still puzzled becaouse I can't really find any prove of the carbon buildup problem with the 3.0T amd I'm also parked at the S4 forums.
Yes, I've been following this issue since I bought an S4 in '10 with the knowledge that the 3.0 is based on the problematic (carbon-wise) 3.2. I've only seen once instance of a 3.0T requiring de-carbonization, and that was NWS4's car on the B8 S4 forum.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stiles_s
My Wife's Q5 had the SAI carbon issue @ 40k miles, so it was covered under warranty (the first time). We use top tier gas, we run techron occasionally (though I realize this probably doesn't help), and it still happened. I'm certain it will happen again.

As a result, approaching 50k miles and end of warranty, I was starting to push my wife to another car. Probably not an Audi (X3, gasp). This warranty extension settled me down and gave me more confidence in Audi. It was a smart thing for them to do from a brand loyalty and residuals POV. Yes, it was a business decision in the end, but I for one am very happy they did it -- and am not spending time looking for underlying conspiracy
Unfortunately it had exactly the opposite effect for me - less confidence.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got mine today. Pretty pleased actually, as this was the only thing that gave me pause about keeping the q5 around (now just 3 years old with 60+ thousand miles). I can deal with alot of things myself, but the thought of dropping the engine to clean a port behind the exhaust manifold was not something on my list of things to tackle.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I have been driving Audis fir 12 years. On my last one. Should have gotten the X5.....
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Letter Attached

I received my letter yesterday - see attachment. I've only owned my 2010 3.2 Q5 since January, but I'm quite relieved to get this letter. I've never witnessed any indication of this problem, yet I had a lot of concern upon reading all of the post about this phenomenon on this forum. Now I feel much better about my purchase. I like the power the 3.2 engine delivers, although the gas mileage is a little disappointing. However, at least I know Audi will take care of me if this problem ever surfaces. Bravo Audi!

Regards,
Scott
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CarbonLetter.pdf (555.5 KB, 1501 views)

Last edited by scottndsky; 08-18-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by scottndsky
I received my letter yesterday - see attachment. I've only owned my 2010 3.2 Q5 since January, but I'm quite relieved to get this letter. I've never witnessed any indication of this problem, yet I had a lot of concern upon reading all of the post about this phenomenon on this forum. Now I feel much better about my purchase. I like the power the 3.2 engine delivers, although the gas mileage is a little disappointing. However, at least I know Audi will take care of me if this problem ever surfaces. Bravo Audi!

Regards,
Scott
Thanks for posting this. The portion regarding engine tunes is interesting. I'm considering a GIAC tune after the standard warranty expires, but this letter has me questioning that move.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just wondering, does anyone know if the extended engine warranty applys to the 3.2 engine in years prior to 2009? I have a 2007, A6, with the 3.2 engine... and no letter yet.

Quick Reply: Audi Letter extending warranty for 2009-2012 3.2 and 2009-2013 3.0T engines