Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Care discount

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Really??!!?! Bob Penkhus?? I have Audi care on my SQ5 but it is nice knowing we have other outlets. I hate Phil long. I always take my Audi's back to prestige in Denver
LOL! No, Al Serra VW on the north side actually. Didn't press them for prices on Adblue fill-ups and fuel filter changes (so one could compare apples-to-apples with Audicare), but thought I'd throw it out there as another avenue to at least consider if one forgot to make AudiCare part of the deal (like me). One would hope AudiCare's $820 price would beat VW's regular maintenance prices on a Touareg TDI. As for me, I plan to get a Ross-Tech VCDS cable and DIY the "Adapt learned (AdBlue) values" and run the fuel pumps myself for the fuel filter change. But heck, at $50 for an oil and filter change special, I can't touch that price as a DIY without a decent rebate on the oil...
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to pick up my new car in the next couple of days. I'm a DIY person as I've always done all of my own maintenance/repairs on BMW's once the warranty period lapsed. I already have a Ross cable that works for the TDI. With the 2.0 or 3.0 gas engines, the $820 is basically just for 4 oil changes and a couple of other minor items. However the TDI requires additional maintenance costs that almost make the $820 seem like a good deal. Here is my analysis of the parts cost alone for the TDI during the 45k miles:

Oil and filters (4 changes) $320
Ad Blue 150
Fuel Filters (2) 80
Cabin Filters (2) 40
Brake fluid changes 50

Total $640

If this is parts alone, seems like a pretty sweet deal to get the labor thrown in for <$200. Am I missing something?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mhughett
I'm getting ready to pick up my new car in the next couple of days. I'm a DIY person as I've always done all of my own maintenance/repairs on BMW's once the warranty period lapsed. I already have a Ross cable that works for the TDI. With the 2.0 or 3.0 gas engines, the $820 is basically just for 4 oil changes and a couple of other minor items. However the TDI requires additional maintenance costs that almost make the $820 seem like a good deal. Here is my analysis of the parts cost alone for the TDI during the 45k miles:

Ad Blue 150
Fuel Filters (2) 80
Cabin Filters (2) 40
Brake fluid changes 50

Total $640

If this is parts alone, seems like a pretty sweet deal to get the labor thrown in for <$200. Am I missing something?
You mentioned you've done your own service after the warranty expires. If you were planning having the dealer do the service during the warranty period, that's roughly for the same amount of time as Audi Care. So, if you add the parts and labor you would have the dealer do anyway during the first 4 years or 45K, it's a much bigger savings over the cost of AC.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You mentioned you've done your own service after the warranty expires. If you were planning having the dealer do the service during the warranty period, that's roughly for the same amount of time as Audi Care. So, if you add the parts and labor you would have the dealer do anyway during the first 4 years or 45K, it's a much bigger savings over the cost of AC.
The only reason I mentioned "after the warranty expires" is because with BMW, the maintenance is included up through 50k/4 years.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

The only reason I mentioned "after the warranty expires" is because with BMW, the maintenance is included up through 50k/4 years.
Understood. In that case, I think your original analysis is correct. If the parts you mentioned are covered under AC and the costs are accurate, $200 difference for all the labor would still be a decent value.

Here's an Audi Care analysis I posted last year:

http://wiki.audiworld.com/index.php/...ctive_Analysis
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ad Blue 150
Fuel Filters (2) 80
Cabin Filters (2) 40
Brake fluid changes 50

Total $640

That's a good breakdown. I can save on the oil and Adblue, not much else. AC's a good deal and there's no issues with maintaining warranty. Also the dealer will then do oil top-offs for free.

Edit: Adblue runs around $12 for 2.5 gal. Recently bought a 6-pk of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 on Amazon for $45. I also get a 10% discount through our school's SCRIP program, so that takes it to $40.50. Then signed up for pennzoilwarranty.com to get their $25 rebate. Plan to sign up my wife's Ford for the same deal just to get the cheap oil. (FWIW: price now $48 on Amazon). So my first 12 quarts will cost around $34. Will need 2 more quarts to complete the second oil change, but lots of time to deal with that. People on the 'net have also reported occasionally getting great deals on Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 at PepBoys. So bottom line is it's a PITA to save money vs AC. For the vast majority, AudiCare is the way to go...

Last edited by brutus23079; 12-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Huh. I don't know why I didn't even think about negotiating on Audi Care. I passed on it because I figure I'll do most things myself, ordering parts from ECS and if I decide to go with the dealer, I don't think everything will cost $800+. I did however buy the 7/70000 extended warranty.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brutus23079
... Recently bought a 6-pk of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 on Amazon for $45. ...
The 2014 owners manual emphasizes the "VW 50700" endorsement as a critical requirement for the TDIs. Does the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 have that?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

It does, as does Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.

http://mxtradings.com/Pennzoil/PU5w30EuroL.pdf
Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brutus23079
That's a good breakdown. I can save on the oil and Adblue, not much else. AC's a good deal and there's no issues with maintaining warranty. Also the dealer will then do oil top-offs for free.

Edit: Adblue runs around $12 for 2.5 gal. I'll probably only evacuate the tank every other time, and of course only buy it at the time I need it due to shelf life concerns. Recently bought a 6-pk of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 on Amazon for $45. I also get a 10% discount through our school's SCRIP program, so that takes it to $40.50. Then signed up for pennzoilwarranty.com to get their $25 rebate. Plan to sign up my wife car for the same deal. (FWIW: price now $48 on Amazon). So my first 12 quarts will cost around $34. Will need 2 more quarts to complete the second oil change, but lots of time to deal with that. People on the 'net have also reported occasionally getting great deals on Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 at PepBoys. So bottom line is it's a PITA to save money, but worth it to me. For the vast majority, AudiCare is the way to go...
I'm guessing that for the first 45k miles, you will probably go through about 25 gallons of AdBlue. Even at $5/gallon, that's $125. Also, don't forget the proper spec oil is pretty expensive. With the oil filter I don't think my $80/change number is far off. I'm going to do the AC thing mainly because I want no questions from the dealer if anything goes wrong during the warranty period. I'll probably split the oil change intervals and do my own every 5k but let the dealer do everything else as per the maintenance schedule.

Quick Reply: Audi Care discount