Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone Want To Takeover My Lease?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2 cents on leasing:

If you know what you are doing, figure out the math, and approach haggling a lease like a buy, then you can come out the same/ahead of financing and Audi takes on any depreciation risk instead of you.

If you don't know exactly how leasing works and decide on it, then you will most likely give the dealer plenty of extra profit.

Last edited by gronk; 12-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gronk
My 2 cents on leasing:

If you know what you are doing, figure out the math, and approach haggling a lease like a buy, then you can come out the same/ahead of financing and Audi takes on any depreciation risk instead of you.

If you don't know exactly how leasing works and decide on it, then you will most likely give the dealer plenty of extra profit.
Well put especially that Audi Q5 is not a lease friendly vehicle. Their money factor is generally high compare to its peer competition. With that said some people just like the idea of having a new car every few years and don't mind spending 3 to 5k out of pocket. For anyone leasing for the first time I'd strongly recommend to read up on how the lease is computed and what terminologies mean. In leasing 2+2 doesn't always equal 4.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Trying to get into another vehicle, X5 35d, ML350 Diesel or a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Not happy with the 2.0t, performance wise and economically.

This from Audi's website and that's with money down as well. So tell me how I got a bad deal and paid a lot again? I'm glad we got the Lease vs. Finance issues out of the way. Dsackman did a good job of explaining it.

That's actually not a very good deal from Audi. Those numbers (according to that ad) are probably for a base model, $35K retail price Q5. Note the fine print: options, tax and dealer fees extra. Finding a base model Q5 is very rare, and options shoot up the price pretty quickly. Some dealers would also call the $800 transportation fee a dealer fee.

Remember, each option should cost you only the residulaized value (around 55% for 3 yr/10K miles). I had a few dealers try to add 100% of the option cost on my least quotes!

Even if you do find a real base Q5, I bet that monthly rate ends up being an extra $100/month when all is said and done.

Go to any of the online lease calculators are figure it out based on their money factors and residual percentage. Don't be surprised if you're paying retail to get those numbers, maybe even higher.

Another common practice is to quote a ridiculous low lease price on a non-existing base model, then jack up the value of a few options on another model. Mini was doing this when I was comparing lease deals on the Countryman.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spinfunky
Well put especially that Audi Q5 is not a lease friendly vehicle. Their money factor is generally high compare to its peer competition. With that said some people just like the idea of having a new car every few years and don't mind spending 3 to 5k out of pocket. For anyone leasing for the first time I'd strongly recommend to read up on how the lease is computed and what terminologies mean. In leasing 2+2 doesn't always equal 4.
I beg to differ. I'm paying less for my $42K Q5 than I would a $36K Tiquan, and only $75/month more than a $32K Countryman S.

Audis have very high residual values vs. a lot of other brands. Money factor can vary, but I found the top tier credit from Audi to be less than VW or Mini.

Audi seems to have a very favorable lease return policy from what I've seen. But like anything, that can change in 3 years if they get overloaded with Q5s.

They do seem to offer VERY nice customer loyalty rebates. Again, tomorrow may differ.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Try carmax they buy out your lease. I sold my 2012 A5 for better price than anywhere else. There was 2 other Audis in same location that were prior leases and were bought out .
Give it a try
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antirich
I beg to differ. I'm paying less for my $42K Q5 than I would a $36K Tiquan, and only $75/month more than a $32K Countryman S.

Audis have very high residual values vs. a lot of other brands. Money factor can vary, but I found the top tier credit from Audi to be less than VW or Mini.

Audi seems to have a very favorable lease return policy from what I've seen. But like anything, that can change in 3 years if they get overloaded with Q5s.

They do seem to offer VERY nice customer loyalty rebates. Again, tomorrow may differ.
Well I am thankful you have a 42k Q5 vs. 36k Tiguan. Nothing against it those that have one, just a personal preference.

As far as residual value goes, it is indeed higher then comparing to VW or other maybe non-comparable brands, and I would expect that as Audi is a better car. What brings up the lease price is the money factor. For example on a 42month 12k lease on a 2.0 premium plus trim, Money Factor in December was 0.00179 (that's approximately 4.3% if you convert this to a more equivalent APR% in financing world 0.00179 x 2400).

I have a 2010 Infinti G37X Coupe which is a lease (similar make up 42/12k) and I know comparing to Audi it is by far a better deal numbers wise and the car is almost similar MSRP. I know that's a very loaded way of comparing but both my Audi and Infiniti leases are using top tier credit. They are both with an extensive negotiations and mark downs of sales price to get them favorable using numbers available at the time, but there is a big difference between the two.

As far as return lease policy if you stay within the brand, loyalty factors and proper negotiations do help.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Leasing is only for people who likes to change cars every 3yrs or if they got too much money in their bank account.

Leasing is a bad investment compared to financing. After financing the car for 5yrs. No more payments will be made. As for leasing 3yrs of leasing then return the car, nothing comes back to you. so if you figure an example:

1st car:
23,4000 3yrs of leasing

2nd car:
23,4000 3yrs of leasing

3rd car:
23,400 3yrs of leasing

Total: $70,200.00 9yrs

Finacing: $45,000 for 5yrs
after 5yrs $0.00 (has a trade in value for a newer car)which gives the leaser nothing to down on a new car.

difference: you would have $25,200 in your pocket for future purchase ontop of trade in value.

it is quite expensive to lease. i did 8k down on my car financing 36,000k under 3.9% apr

[Wrong] Many benefits of lease eg :
During 3 years , in case of any accident/damage reported to carFX, car price by default depreciate by additional 15%.
So lets say you plan to buy at 47.5k , instead of buying lease it for 3 years and after 3 years based on your situation buy same car at remaining amount.
504 p/m emi for 36 months, 3500 down payment and 26000 to pay at the end of lease (in my case).
And if you don't like it after 3 year or any problem in 3 year you find you will be in better position to sell it outside(buying it from lease) or returning back to audi.
Hence you will be in win-win situation.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sachinism
[Wrong] Many benefits of lease eg :
During 3 years , in case of any accident/damage reported to carFX, car price by default depreciate by additional 15%.
So lets say you plan to buy at 47.5k , instead of buying lease it for 3 years and after 3 years based on your situation buy same car at remaining amount.
504 p/m emi for 36 months, 3500 down payment and 26000 to pay at the end of lease (in my case).
And if you don't like it after 3 year or any problem in 3 year you find you will be in better position to sell it outside(buying it from lease) or returning back to audi.
Hence you will be in win-win situation.
You are 3 years late to the party....
Old 03-17-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I'm glad someone on this forum has sense and knows what's going on. I swear people here are so argumentative for no reason.
+1

Good luck Coolie, I'm not in the market or I'd check w/ you.