Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone towing with their Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our Aliner, the rise is about 3 1/2 inches.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying
Old 05-07-2023, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default SQ5 with Air Suspention

Thanks to all that have inputted in this long discussion 🙏

I was wondering if having air suspension on my 2018 SQ5 would make a difference in the previous discussions on towing? Would this affect the opinions on recommending weight distribution even though Audi recommends without it. Planning on towing a Little Guy Max which is within the stated limits of the vehicle (inc hitch weight).
Old 05-08-2023, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernie_schau
Thanks to all that have inputted in this long discussion 🙏

I was wondering if having air suspension on my 2018 SQ5 would make a difference in the previous discussions on towing? Would this affect the opinions on recommending weight distribution even though Audi recommends without it. Planning on towing a Little Guy Max which is within the stated limits of the vehicle (inc hitch weight).
You'll get better responses in the B9 forums.

Did your SQ5 come with air suspension or is it aftermarket? If OEM then follow the guidelines in your owner's manual. If aftermarket, I don't think anyone here is qualified to do more than speculate.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Norskie
You'll get better responses in the B9 forums.

Did your SQ5 come with air suspension or is it aftermarket? If OEM then follow the guidelines in your owner's manual. If aftermarket, I don't think anyone here is qualified to do more than speculate.
Everything is factory. There is also a discussion on the B9 as well, I just trying to get as much info as possible so I don’t kill my SQ5.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys.

I am doing landscaping project at home.
I tow using my Bolt (EVs are great for local towing) up to 2000 lb and larger with Q5 (2015 Q5, 2.0T)

Q5 was no sweat to two MKV Rabbit on a dolly, or some larger trailers.

Anyway, the hitch and receiver are both rated 7'500 lb.

I was wondering if anyone pulled anything much heavier than the set limit 4400 lb?
When I say towing I mean a local trip, a few miles, low speeds, brave, but wise (anticipation, gentle accel and slow down).

I am looking at a dual axle dump trailer that itself is 3000 lb with about 3500-4500 load. That puts max for the hitch.
Now, my thinking is that if they say 4400 lb they mean you can do normal road speeds, braking and so on.
Would pulling 7500 gently still be fine? Has anyone tried?
thanks.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I personally think that Audi's tow rating for the Q5 is optimistic. Given you are in Michigan, you might want to take a good look at your rear subframe first to make sure it is in good shape and not corroded thru anywhere.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Pulling won't be a problem. It's the potential damage to your hitch/frame and suspension that I'd be worried about.
I'm sure I've exceeded the recommended load here and there but not by as much as you're describing. I would be most concerned with the tongue weight. It's not that easy to offset the weight on a tandem axle dumper.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

you'd be creating a very unsafe situation towing that much over the limit for your Q5. I would very much not recommend it. you would have a trailer that exceeds the weight of your vehicle by a significant amount, which means that if the trailer starts going out of control your car is the one that will get whipped around. You're almost doubling the tongue weight that the receiver is rated for which could do some bad things to the frame plus probably really mess up the driving dynamics.

but, this is America, you're on the Internet, and you've got this idea that it might be possible so we'll all hold your beer while you see how well this goes.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Is it even legal to do what you're proposing?

If you get into an accident, will you be covered by insurance?

Don't forget that stopping is also a problem ... maybe the SQ5's oversized brakes could handle it, who knows about the standard Q5 brakes (overheat the pads, discs and fluid and then you won't have the ability to stop).

Quick Reply: Anyone towing with their Q5?