Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone own a Q5 with Drive Select?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone own a Q5 with Drive Select?

Hey Guys

I'm thinking that I'm going to order a Q5 with Audi Drive Select. My question is for someone that has experienced it what is it like? Is it worth it? I will also be ordering mine as a Sline too.
Please be descriptive. Thank you guys for taking the time to post.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ADS
Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an '09 Prestige S-Line with ADS. At first I thought it was a cool toy, then I significantly dropped my gas mileage while in 'dynamic' gearbox mode, so I turned it back to Auto. I was happy for a while until I felt I wanted a stiffer suspension (I come from driving many German sports sedans/coupes). So I made my Individual ADS to include dynamic steering and suspension with 'Auto' on the gearbox. It's the best combo for me as I don't need the aggressive gear shifts of dynamic gearbox (and when I do, I can just select my gear by the steering wheel gear selectors).

Could I live without ADS? Yeah, probably. Would it be as fun? No. ADS in fully dynamic mode makes the Q5 into a totally different vehicle with stiff suspension, power steering, and aggressive gearbox shift patterns. You could perhaps get some of that without ADS (if you change your own gears or put the car into S mode), but you won't get the suspension stiffness and added dynamic steering feature that only ADS has.

On a side note, one annoying thing with ADS is that it doesn't save your last function. For example, I keep mine in "individual" mode, but everytime you turn off and on the car, it reverts back to "Auto." So, you have to always select the drive mode each time you start the vehicle. Hopefully Audi will rectify this with some service update.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Rather get some aftermarket springs and shocks, would be a lot cheaper. I know that H&R has springs for the Q5.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ericiu
I have an '09 Prestige S-Line with ADS. At first I thought it was a cool toy, then I significantly dropped my gas mileage while in 'dynamic' gearbox mode, so I turned it back to Auto. I was happy for a while until I felt I wanted a stiffer suspension (I come from driving many German sports sedans/coupes). So I made my Individual ADS to include dynamic steering and suspension with 'Auto' on the gearbox. It's the best combo for me as I don't need the aggressive gear shifts of dynamic gearbox (and when I do, I can just select my gear by the steering wheel gear selectors).

Could I live without ADS? Yeah, probably. Would it be as fun? No. ADS in fully dynamic mode makes the Q5 into a totally different vehicle with stiff suspension, power steering, and aggressive gearbox shift patterns. You could perhaps get some of that without ADS (if you change your own gears or put the car into S mode), but you won't get the suspension stiffness and added dynamic steering feature that only ADS has.

On a side note, one annoying thing with ADS is that it doesn't save your last function. For example, I keep mine in "individual" mode, but everytime you turn off and on the car, it reverts back to "Auto." So, you have to always select the drive mode each time you start the vehicle. Hopefully Audi will rectify this with some service update.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. More specifically, my questions are, how is the drive in confort mode? I am coming out of a Lexus RX 330 and my wife loves the smoothness of the ride. I on the other hand, want a sportier vehicle with some soul to it.

So, will ADS satisfy both of us?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2010 with ADS and I love it. Like ericiu, I have the individual mode set to dynamic suspension and steering and auto transmission. Full dynamic is great for canyon roads.

I'm coming from an 05 FX-35, and the base Q5 has alarming body roll & brake dive in comparison. With the ADS suspension in dynamic the brake dive isn't too bad and the body roll is only slightly more noticeable than an FX (and might be similar on the 20" tires - I have 19s). If you are used to sport sedan handling then I think you would want ADS.

I also like the dynamic steering mode much better than auto. In auto the feel is much less direct and it changes from heavy to light unpredictably.

Comfort mode is too mushy around town. It could be useful for long freeway road trips, or on badly washboarded dirt roads.

The only problem I have with ADS is you can only get it with the overpriced prestige package. If it was available on premium+ I think it would be a no-brainer for s-line buyers.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sherman's Audi
Thanks for taking the time to reply. More specifically, my questions are, how is the drive in confort mode? I am coming out of a Lexus RX 330 and my wife loves the smoothness of the ride. I on the other hand, want a sportier vehicle with some soul to it.

You posted this while I was writing my reply above. I haven't spent much time in comfort mode and I've only driven a Lexus RX400h (my Mom's) on a quick errand. As best I can remember, the steering is comparable (light and numb). The ride in the Lexus is softer than the Q5 even on comfort. At a rough guess comfort is about midway between a base Q5 and the Lexus. For what it is worth, my wife likes the Q5 on dynamic much better than the FX35, and is very happy in auto.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sherman's Audi

Comfort mode is pretty soft, but I don't think *as* soft as a Lexus. I think the difference will be subtle though. Given the fact that the two of you have different likes, I'd definitely opt for the ADS. Otherwise you both have to settle for the stock suspension, steering, and transmission (which a lot of people have and like). Personally, I like a little more drive feel.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just an FYI. Audi started making all models of the Q5 have the dynamic steering part way through the 09 MY run and I think that is still in place for the 2010 MY.

ADS is the one single option I did not take on my Audi. I do not have mine yet so it is hard for me to judge how I will feel about it yet. However, with the dynamic steering already there, and S mode available the only thing I am missing is the stiffer suspension. Like others have suggested it is possible to get that change made the old fashioned way for far less money.

Now this does not in any way take anything away from just how cool ADS really is. I mean to flick a switch and totaly change the character of your car is truly amazing. If ones situation is such that having the need to switch modes comes up often due to different drivers or due to transporting passengers or just widely different driving enviroments then ADS may well be worth it. My personal situation is such that once I get the car feeling the way I like it. It is going to stay that way and I do not plan to change it for any reason. So I am content without ADS for now. Maybe my next Audi will have it but I think it all depends on your expected needs from your car.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've ADS only for the steering and the response of the motor, not for the suspension
On "dynamic", I find the steering too responsive, especially in town at low speeds : the steering wheel becomes too light and the car seems to anticipate cornering; at speed it is ok and make the Q5 drive like a kart
On "confort" the steering wheel is more sticky (unresponsive) and that is the preferred setting of my wife
as "individual", I choose "dynamic" for the motor-management (I have a TDI) and "confort" for the steering, but the difference with "automatic" is slight.
As the car returns on "automatic" after each stop of the motor, I'm most of the time on "automatic".
I find the device funny, but over-priced for the real benefit in daily use.
I don't regret not having ADS/suspension as my Q5 is quite comfortable on his 19"-rims : i'm not intrested in a harder suspension

Quick Reply: Anyone own a Q5 with Drive Select?