Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone considering ordering a Q5 debadged?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone considering ordering a Q5 debadged?

I have decided to get a Glacier white TDI Sline Q5 with a chestnut interior.

I think the contrast of the colors will look great and I dislike chrome and I really like that the titanium package is included with the Sline.

I am debating on whether to order the car debadged of all Badges other than the Audi logo.

What does everyone think?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the order for a new Q5. I have a Glacier White 3.0 S-line with same interior on order. I prefer to have the badges. To me a car looks naked without the identifying markers. JM2cents.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rlk1
Congrats on the order for a new Q5. I have a Glacier White 3.0 S-line with same interior on order. I prefer to have the badges. To me a car looks naked without the identifying markers. JM2cents.
Same, most rear ends look really strange to me totally debadged. Seems like usually you need at least one thing back there to "anchor" the design. (I can't explain why, just looks wrong to me. )
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Badge delete is really a Euro concept for ordering

No such delete option in the U.S., so it's a DIY w/ a heat gun/blow dryer and dental floss if you want it so in Miami. A lot (of the relatively few) Audi debadges I've seen in the U.S.--and the more frequent ones in Europe--leave at least the four rings logo.

In Europe, its usually either the high end owner who wants to remain low profile about wealth and such, or the low end owner who wants to keep folks guessing what motor is there.

In practice, if you know Audis with with current design characteristic (across manufacturers) "look at me" exhaust stuff out the back end, it's not that hard to figure out the motor variant at a quasi glance. Brake sizing and (OE) wheels are the other usual secondary easy cues w/ out having to know hood, grill, trim strip, bumper cover or other nuances.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-27-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We got all that S**t off, but the Rings and we love it!! Also, ask your salesman to debadged upon delivery. That's what we did...
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
and the more frequent ones in Europe--leave at least the four rings logo.
I would leave the four rings logo for sure..

I was just referring to the "Q5" Badge and the "TDI" badge etc..
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Beanie088
We got all that S**t off, but the Rings and we love it!! Also, ask your salesman to debadged upon delivery. That's what we did...
Can you post pictures of how the back end looks without the badges?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
Can you post pictures of how the back end looks without the badges?
Thread over on AZ with some pictures: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...adges-on-my-Q5
Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
Thread over on AZ with some pictures: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...adges-on-my-Q5
I don't know. Probably I am the minority here. But I have always find the Q5's back end its weakest, especially when combined with the US license plate. It was designed for the wider German plate and it shows. There just seems to be too much empty space, making the Q5 look more bulbous than it (already) is.

Looking at the pictures in this link, I feel that taking off the badges only add to that wide expanse of no-feature. The car look downright obese.

Well, that's just my personal feeling, for what it's worth...

Last edited by 81Coupe; 06-27-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Corrected typo: expense --> expanse
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the debadged look. As they said (most recently in Blazing Saddles), the #36 of the top 100 movie quotes,

"We don't need no stinking badges!"

But then I'm a bit odd. I hate chrome, I don't like non-body colored mirrors and/or fender armor, and I despise stickers and decals.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 06-27-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering ordering a Q5 debadged?