Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Any updates on steering issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any updates on steering issues?

Many on this board as well as the A4/ offroad had issues with notchy steering. Audi had replaced steering racks on a few cars only for it to return. Has anyone heard any new info on this? I spoke to service manager @ dealership in March who said Audi was aware of issue and working on a fix. Havent heard anything.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi ssteigss -

My 2014 has NONE of this, and I've been hyper-sensitive to feeling for it during the last few days.

Some people report that it starts after several thousand miles, so we shall see...

But I haven't heard about any software updates, etc.

There was one post (that I can't find right now) about an owner who used Vag-Com (VCDS) to make his steering "stiffer", and that solved the problem. This is about setting some of the "drive select" settings, even though you didn't purchase the "drive select" option. I'll keep looking for that post...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
Hi ssteigss -

My 2014 has NONE of this, and I've been hyper-sensitive to feeling for it during the last few days.

Some people report that it starts after several thousand miles, so we shall see...

There was one post (that I can't find right now) about an owner who used Vag-Com (VCDS) to make his steering "stiffer", and that solved the problem. This is about setting some of the "drive select" settings, even though you didn't purchase the "drive select" option. I'll keep looking for that post...
I'm one of the owners that applied a couple of fixes through the VCDS and I'm happy with them. I've read on the audizine a couple of reports that Audi especially in EU started calling people and scheduling sw fix for this issue. One guy supposedly is going to apply it today. Waiting for him to report back.
With the "fixes" that I "applied" I'm not in hurry to get this Ausi sw fix. Could make things worst. I may try to get a test drive in a 2014 Q5 as I would assume that it already has this fix. Want to see how much I like it compering to how mine drives.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Agree

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
Hi ssteigss -

My 2014 steering right now is as good as my superb 2002 A4 steering. My upgraded VAGCOM cable is in the mail and will check to see if the suggested steering mode check box is already checked in 2014 Q5's. I sure hope that the steering stays like this forever.....

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 07-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
My 2014 steering right now is as good as my superb 2002 A4 steering. My upgraded VAGCOM cable is in the mail and will check to see if the suggested steering mode check box is already checked in 2014 Q5's. I sure hope that the steering stays like this forever.....
Once you have the cable can you also check the ABS module coding and post it? Thx.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Sure, what coding are you looking for?

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Once you have the cable can you also check the ABS module coding and post it? Thx.
Soon...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

So it sounds like in at least 4 months Audi hasnt come out with an official solution.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
So it sounds like in at least 4 months Audi hasnt come out with an official solution.
Longer than that. I bought my '13 Q5 in Oct '12. I started developing this issue in Dec. Owners from various '13 models (S5, A4, A5) have experienced this issued. It is well documented on a gigantic thread located within the Audizine S5 forum. What's frustrating about this issue is that it comes and goes. I'm still waiting for a solution.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
Longer than that. I bought my '13 Q5 in Oct '12. I started developing this issue in Dec. Owners from various '13 models (S5, A4, A5) have experienced this issued. It is well documented on a gigantic thread located within the Audizine S5 forum. What's frustrating about this issue is that it comes and goes. I'm still waiting for a solution.
Your quite right it comes and goes. I havent noticed it in the last month but I know it will come back. Completely random.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Your quite right it comes and goes. I havent noticed it in the last month but I know it will come back. Completely random.
From Audizine S4. I've had this for 3 months and the steering wheel is perfect. I also enabled ADS light. This fix seems to be also what Audi considers a fix for this issue. There are reports that new Audis come with this already DE-selected. This seems also to require reprogramming of the ABS module. In my case (and everybody else who did it) it throws a fault in the ABS module. The ABS works fine but there is some programming in the ABS module that relays on this bit to be set. Unfortunately the ABS module has to be reprogrammed by the dealer because it requires a special security code to be accessed.

###############
UPDATE: Sorry for the delayed additional update on the VAG COM adjustment guys, but I wanted to log a few more highway miles before reporting back with additional findings. I will be starting a new thread on this as well to track others experiences with this VAG COM adjustment so it doesn't get lost in this thread.

On to the update. I finally got the chance to "deselect" the box indicated by Tomasz in my "VAG COM Security Codes" thread. The box is under 44-electric steering assist module > coding > long coding > byte 0 > bit 4 (uncheck box for "Driver Steering Recommendation"). I did this last week and have since put well over 100 miles of highway driving on the car with NO steering issues AT ALL! Not even the faintest "hint" of crappy slippy steering. Overall, in EVERY MODE the steering is MUCH MUCH more reliable feeling and consistent! I'm starting to believe that this may in fact be a solid band-aid fix for "the slip" issue many of us have ben experiencing. Before I made this adjustment my steering had been HORRIBLE lately! In fact the worst it had ever been! And since this adjustment my steering has been utterly flawless in every way!

I HIGHLY recommend any of you who have VAG COM make this adjustment and put some miles on your car, then report back. As I said I am going to start a new thread to track this specific fix, so let's try to keep any reports about the VAG COM adjustment in that thread so we can keep track of thoughts. I sincerely hope the rest of you have as good an experience as I have with this adjustment! Now I won't be 100% on board with this being the end all fix until I have put many many more miles on my car with it, but so far, I am VERY HAPPY with how the steering is behaving on my car with it!

Quick Reply: Any updates on steering issues?