Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

All-Season Tires for Occasional Snow & Ice Climates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM
jga
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All-Season Tires for Occasional Snow & Ice Climates?

I've got an SQ5 on order (to arrive late February at the earliest) with the 21" wheels and I'm going to need a "winter" wheel and tire package. Where I live (Cincinnati, Ohio) we have snow or ice covered roads only occasionally in the winter, the vast majority of the time the roads are clear, except for the #&!%*! pot holes. So I'm wondering if it would make a lot more sense to buy all-season tires and 19" wheels for the potential snow/ice season, rather than real snow & ice tires, since the all-seasons would probably get me by okay on snow and ice days, and would run a lot better than snow and ice tires on cold but clear-road days. Would love to hear opinions!

Jim
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Different strokes for different folks I say. Whatever makes you feel most comfortable is probably the best coarse of action. For me, I run the all season year around that came stock with the car -I didn't get the SQ5. For me I drive in Denver Colo. we don't get a whole lot of ice though, most snowy days it just becomes packed snow on the road, where in OH you might get more icy conditions where it would be more helpful. I just have never found a need for actual snow tires in my life and that includes when I drive up in the mountains. With the way traffic is nowadays creeping along at slow speeds I just feel snow tires for me would be a complete waste of money. We had one storm this year that was very icy and driving was a bit dicy, but being careful and driving reasonable for the conditions I still had no issues with the all seasons except the slight slip of tires every once in awhile, which doesn't freak me out - I grew up driving rear wheel sport cars in these conditions. If it would make you sleep better at night I say do it, otherwise just be careful from time to time when a bad storm hits as we all should do anyways.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I had 20" on my Q5 and put on immediately Conti DWS. A month later I drove back from Steamboat over strawberry pass and was scared to pieces as though I never lost traction I never felt I had control. Next I drove to Seattle from Colorado on I 80 in Wy in a snowstorm where I did 200 miles of 40mph max and then tons of black ice in Idaho and Washington. Never did they feel comfortable at all. The next fall I bought 19's and put snows on them. Big difference. Now the Contis are run as my summers (March-Oct)

My feeling is that if you need the car to be driven in bad weather then get snow tires.

Last edited by Reggie; 12-27-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A/S tires have been adequate for my Q5 in 1-4 inch snow, running on the OEM Michelin Latitude's. It likes to oversteer now with the rear tires almost showing the wear bars, but that makes a journey in the snow pretty fun.. will be getting a new set soon though.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Why All-Season Tires??
You have summer tires, is better to buy winter tires

Here you can see the difference between the tires and factor of 7 degrees

Tire industry engineers have determined that the rubber on all-season tires hardens too much and they begin to lose their grip at 7 C or 45 F. Coincidentally, that is the also when you can start seeing your breath! Therefore, a good guideline for installing your winter tires is once the temperature is regularly 7 degrees Celsius (45 F) or less…. Or when you start seeing your breath!

Name:  su-wi-al-1_zps907202c9.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  45.2 KB

http://www.1010tires.com/store/conte...res-guide.aspx

Last edited by spijun; 12-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. I travel back and forth to my two homes (TEXAS and COLORADO). I went with a 20 inch snow tire set up. I have the 21's from the factory. With you living in Ohio, you could really benefit from a performance snow tire. I had a 2010 S5 that I ran all season tires on. Really all season are THREE season that can handle a couple inches of snow one time a year. I will replace the 21's with a UHPAS. When the summers wear out but will also install my winter set when the weather turns cold.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I responded to your PM and I'll weigh in on this question. If your temps are below 45F for most of the winter and you'll see rain and snow, I highly recommend true winter tires. A/S tires can cut it if you don't mind driving slow all the time and summer tires are never good enough in temps <50F (don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise).

True winter tires are not 100% necessary in comparison to all-seasons but they are SO much better for traction in winter temps and conditions that you don't have to significantly alter your driving habits from warmer weather adhesion. Why take the risk on lesser tires, causing you to be overly cautious and worried, when you don't have to be? Tires are the only thing keeping you on the road, so if your environment is wintry (Cincinnati!) then go for the winters.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM
jga
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Transfer
I responded to your PM and I'll weigh in on this question. If your temps are below 45F for most of the winter and you'll see rain and snow, I highly recommend true winter tires. A/S tires can cut it if you don't mind driving slow all the time and summer tires are never good enough in temps <50F (don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise).

True winter tires are not 100% necessary in comparison to all-seasons but they are SO much better for traction in winter temps and conditions that you don't have to significantly alter your driving habits from warmer weather adhesion. Why take the risk on lesser tires, causing you to be overly cautious and worried, when you don't have to be? Tires are the only thing keeping you on the road, so if your environment is wintry (Cincinnati!) then go for the winters.
You guys are awesome! So glad I asked the question. I'll be shopping for true winter tires. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jga
You guys are awesome! So glad I asked the question. I'll be shopping for true winter tires. Thanks everyone!
Look for a performance winter tire. I have the Blizzak DM-V1. I wish I would have went with a more performance based tire. I have not had them in snow just dry and wet roads. But the handling could be better. I have had winter tires before and these seem a little fish tail'E to me !!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default +1 if you want to play up the performance side some on a winter...

Thus for me, a Dunlop 3D (previously similar to M3, M2, etc.) on the Q5 now, or Pirelli Sottozero's on the Audi A8 where I can't find the preferred Dunlop size. Michelin has one of these in its line too.

Quick Reply: All-Season Tires for Occasional Snow & Ice Climates?