Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

All Season tires for factory 20" wheels? Winter is coming up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Season tires for factory 20" wheels? Winter is coming up.

I have been searching the net, specifically TireRack.com, for a great all season tire for my Q5. The wheel size is 255/45R20. The OEM tires are "summer performance tires"

I notice the top rated tires, Yokohama ParadaX and Pirelli Ice and Snow all have a load index of 105 vs OEM tires load index of 101.

When I choose the ParadaX I get a warning pop up saying this tire could increase ride harshness.

The tires that equal the load index of the OEM tire are not rated as high as the two tires memtioned above.

Does anyone have thoughts or experience related to finding a good all season tire for the Q5 with factory 20" rims. I'm worried, given that 20's already have a little rougher ride, the higher load index will destroy the ride quality.

I live in KS and we do get ice and snow in the winter.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:49 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. The roads get pretty bad here. I'm planning to get a set of 18" rims dedicated to winter use, much easier to swap wheels instead of tires. I just found a nice rim with Bridgestone winter tires, a set of 4, including shipping for under $1,000 on Tire Rack
Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am also looking to get a set of 18" wheels and snow tires for the winter. DrV - which wheels are you thinking of getting?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
q5!
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
I am also looking to get a set of 18" wheels and snow tires for the winter. DrV - which wheels are you thinking of getting?
Nice idea for the price!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

These were the rims and tires I was looking at, both are on sale. Great deal!

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

18x8 Sport Tuning Gunner Bright Sil w/Mach Lip
In Stock 4 x $109.00 = $436.00

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

235/60R18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
Blackwall 08/29/09 4 x $115.00 = $460.00

Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing FREE

Shipping $85.02

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1280
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
sow
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in Vancouver and we do get some snow in winter. I'm going to give ParadaX a try once I get my Q5 as I'd like to have the 20" look in winter as well. Apparently these are pretty good A/S tires based on all the reviews. I probably don't need to take it off for summer. I doubt I can tell the difference in terms of the rid quality.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTW, it helps a LOT if you have a friend or family in the States that can order them for you, because shipping and duty costs to Canada stinks!
Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcw7w6
.....I live in KS and we do get ice and snow in the winter.

Thoughts?

What do you really want? Convenience or traction?

If convenience then go with all season as those are compromise between summer and winter, not as good at either end but well...

If traction then go with another wheel set and have real winter tires. Either Nokian Hakkapeliitta, Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin X-ice.

I wanted Nokian as those are the best ones but importing prices are kinda high so 18" rims with Blizzak and saved some money to hitch. I was even looking 16" or 17" rims to get higher side walls as that is better during the winter but brake clearance became an issue.

If you stick with 20" then prepare noisy and hard ride.

What do I know about winter, well growing up at Arctic Circle teaches few things about ice and snow

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-12-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
What do you really want? Convenience or traction?

If convenience then go with all season as those are compromise between summer and winter, not as good at either end but well...

If traction then go with another wheel set and have real winter tires. Either Nokian Hakkapeliitta, Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin X-ice.

I wanted Nokian as those are the best ones but importing prices are kinda high so 18" rims with Blizzak and saved some money to hitch. I was even looking 16" or 17" rims to get higher side walls as that is better during the winter but brake clearance became an issue.

If you stick with 20" then prepare noisy and hard ride.

What do I know about winter, well growing up at Arctic Circle teaches few things about ice and snow
Alright Artic man... Thanks for the pic. Those tires look like they have major traction!!!! I think I will listen and opt for a smaller wheel for the winter!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well with Blizzak I probably was a little overkill for Kansas winter. Last year with VW Tiguan and Blizzak the major problem was that when I slammed the brakes then cheapcake morons with summer tires behind me had panic to stop in time so I had to spend more time looking mirrors than I'm used to.

I'm used to have 2 sets, summer and specific winter tires, either with studs or studless. Reason why I got winter tires here in Kansas is that we go up north and visit Rockies every winter and those trips I would not do with all season nor summer tires with chains.

Anyways, problem with pure winter tires is that those are softer rubber compound so those wear out pretty fast on sunny summer pavement. Sure that was not issue up north were roads have snow or ice coverage on whole winter season.

Down south, like in Kansas, we have few days slippery and then it melts away and we are back on normal pavement.

Even with all season that you would drive year around you would have problem, as for example, you buy new set when starts snowing. First winter you would have pretty good traction but then you keep driving and summer would wear out your tires the way next winter, you would be looking your tires the way that those are, lest say half way worn out but still haves thread for coming winter, later starts snowing and you find for your surprise how freaking slippery those very same tires are.

I went through those hairy moments with passenger cars and 4x4's when I tried to save and use all season tires like BF G All Terrain on my 4x4, well I had to go back to what everyone else did, to own 2 sets.

Depending how much you drive, you could manage all seasons as those needs to be worn out after summer so you could buy new set every year just when starts snowing and so you would have best thread for winter and then drive them down during summer.

More expensive? Pretty much same as my winter rims and Blizzak made 1300 slice to my wallet and it looks like I have to replace my summer tires next year. The Blizzak's should last 2 or 3 winters depending how consistent snowing is and how often I swap tires back and forth in my garage.

So at the end, all season is less work as you don't need to pay attention and swap them with summer tires but the traction on ice and snow is not even close to real winter tires.

Though what ever way you go, remember you really don't need good tires to take off and accelerate fast but the problem comes when you hit the brakes and try to stop...

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-12-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: All Season tires for factory 20" wheels? Winter is coming up.