Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

air filter on my Q

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure Audi care doesn't replace air filters, and if the do I doubt its done at no cost. Anyhow it took me 20 minutes and it's the first time I did it. It's easy to do. Anybody know what the recommended interval is for the air filter? Looks to me like audi care is basically 6 oil changes and a new set of spark plugs for $800. In fact i did purchase audi care and had the 25k oil change done,obviously the dealer never looked at the air filter or they would have changed it /recommend it be changed. by the looks of the torx screws the cover had never been off the air box.
I bought my Q with 8k miles on it. I changed the oil right after I got it. Very easy to do as well. oil filter is inverted and right on top and in front of the engine compartment. Hardest part is taking down the plastic covers underneath the car to get to the drain plug. I debated buying the audi care. I thought this is the most expensive car i've owned, the dealer mechanics know all about them and I don't so I talked myself into it. From what I can see the plugs are now big deal to change either. My dealer is using Penzoil 5-30 synthetic oil that I can only find at the dealer or on the internet. No one else carries it around here. at 10k oil change intervals i have had to add about a quart. last time I asked the dealer service guy if I could get a couple extra quarts. To their credit they put 2 quarts in the car and didn't charge me for them. I drive 35 to 40 k miles a year and have always done oil, plugs, brakes myself. Its really not a big deal. Only thing is , from what I understand , you can't do the rear brakes without a vagcom? I guess you plug it in and put a command in it to retract the caliper pistons. Doesn't sound like rocket science, but you have to buy it. Probably pay for itself after the first brake job. I've heard crazy nubers for brake jobs, pads and rotors aren't all that expensive. Anyway I plan on running this car at least 200 to 250k like I did my last vehicle(a rx330) unless gets ridiculous $ wise to maintain. Anyway so far i'm very pleased with the Q5. I really like it. My wife has a toyota and I can't stand driving it after having the Audi. There more expensive but since i'm pretty much living in it it's really worth it to me. It's the old saying you get what you pay for. As much as I drive I'll find out f''or sure pretty quickly. Before I bought the Audi I asked several people that had them and everybody I talked to always really liked there car. Kind of like a apple computer,everyone that has one loves it and wouldn't go back to a Pc.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm pretty sure Audi care doesn't replace air filters, and if the do I doubt its done at no cost. Anyhow it took me 20 minutes and it's the first time I did it. It's easy to do. Anybody know what the recommended interval is for the air filter? Looks to me like audi care is basically 6 oil changes and a new set of spark plugs for $800. In fact i did purchase audi care and had the 25k oil change done,obviously the dealer never looked at the air filter or they would have changed it /recommend it be changed. by the looks of the torx screws the cover had never been off the air box.
I bought my Q with 8k miles on it. I changed the oil right after I got it. Very easy to do as well. oil filter is inverted and right on top and in front of the engine compartment. Hardest part is taking down the plastic covers underneath the car to get to the drain plug. I debated buying the audi care. I thought this is the most expensive car i've owned, the dealer mechanics know all about them and I don't so I talked myself into it. From what I can see the plugs are now big deal to change either. My dealer is using Penzoil 5-30 synthetic oil that I can only find at the dealer or on the internet. No one else carries it around here. at 10k oil change intervals i have had to add about a quart. last time I asked the dealer service guy if I could get a couple extra quarts. To their credit they put 2 quarts in the car and didn't charge me for them. I drive 35 to 40 k miles a year and have always done oil, plugs, brakes myself. Its really not a big deal. Only thing is , from what I understand , you can't do the rear brakes without a vagcom? I guess you plug it in and put a command in it to retract the caliper pistons. Doesn't sound like rocket science, but you have to buy it. Probably pay for itself after the first brake job. I've heard crazy numbers for brake jobs, pads and rotors aren't all that expensive. Anyway I plan on running this car at least 200 to 250k like I did my last vehicle(a rx330) unless gets ridiculous $ wise to maintain. Anyway so far i'm very pleased with the Q5. I really like it. My wife has a toyota and I can't stand driving it after having the Audi. There more expensive but since i'm pretty much living in it it's really worth it to me. It's the old saying you get what you pay for. As much as I drive I'll find out for sure pretty quickly. Before I bought the Audi I asked several people that had them and everybody I talked to always really liked there car. Kind of like a apple computer,everyone that has one loves it and wouldn't go back to a Pc.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audicare is gotten by most people because Audi is an expensive car and most would rather not attempt basic maintenance, especially while under warranty.

My dealership also never looked at my air filter and I've finished with Audicare at 45K. Air filters are not part of Audicare but cabin filters are and they didn't change that either. There must be lots of people driving around with dirty air filters, robbing them of 1,2 or 3 miles per gallon thinking with Audicare they don't need to pop open the hood.

Audicare does not cover plugs, as plugs are done at 55k and you'll need to purchase Audicare Plus to cover you until 75K I believe. What Audicare does cover, is a brake system flush along with the oil changes.

If you find a good Indy shop, one that specializes in VW and Audi, you'll save a ton of money over the dealership. They'll have a VAGCOM and latest information on VW/Audi recalls/TSB/Software Updates similar to the dealer and thoroughly check the car. Only downside, they'll not have donuts or a car wash included.LOL.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought Audi care on the q said spark plugs at 35k. i'll have to look at that.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Surely, if you oil improperly. Over oil. Over 150k on Silverado and Q. No problems.

MAF clog also with OEM filters that are not changed often. And as OP stated, he noticed a measureable idle and driveability difference when changed.

Generally speaking, K&N users are generally DIY folks that keep on top of the filter before driveability problem arise.

Different horses for different courses.

DIY @ every 10K oil change for 100K miles @ $30.= $300.

Let the dealer do it at 10K oil change for 100K miles @ $50 to $60.= $500-$600.

K&N, one time purchase, $45 plus possibly two cans of oil for 100K miles $25.+ $45.= $70. Keep OEM filter while K&N properly dries and place back in car and/or when trading in or selling and sell filter on ebay or Amazon for $30. Final cost, approx. $40.
.... Cost to rebuild engine due to premature wear..... Priceless!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Nice try...Scare tactics work well others!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I still have the original Audi paper filter at 10k miles. I really haven't looked into replacment filters yet, but I would not automatically rule out a K&N or foam filter.

I have no fear of engine damage based upon my previous use of these products. I have successfully used K&N filters in other vehicles in excess of 200K miles per car.

Maybe as a DIY I am more in-tune with the subtle hints the car gives prior to major issues arising. ... or maybe I'm just one lucky fellow.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
I agree your opinions
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
I still have the original Audi paper filter at 10k miles. I really haven't looked into replacment filters yet, but I would not automatically rule out a K&N or foam filter.

I have no fear of engine damage based upon my previous use of these products. I have successfully used K&N filters in other vehicles in excess of 200K miles per car.

Maybe as a DIY I am more in-tune with the subtle hints the car gives prior to major issues arising. ... or maybe I'm just one lucky fellow.
There are millions of others out there like you and I. But just as many NAYSAYERS. Any idiot can DRIVE a money pit BMW,MB & Audi.
It's the wise OWNERS of these luxury cars that factor in the TRUE COST TO OWN of these cars and SUV's.

From negotiating from the invoice up and not MSRP down, to turning down the fluff in the finance office, or buying just the options one will actually use and enjoy, rather than the fully loaded car that will depreciate at a higher percentage than a similar car with less bells and whistles. With top tier credit finance rates(or better yet, CASH) and reasonable (Top Tier Credit) insurance rates, DIY maintenance whenever/wherever possible or shopping reputable indies. TRUE COST TO OWN...That's why, with the Q becoming Old Hat, I don't have an ounce of reservation when I ordered my '13 S5.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I want to add my thoughts on K&N filters. I have seen independent tests done on filters and the K&N one showed what the reviewer thought was oil (and typical of the reports by others which blamed over oiling the filter). The reviewer found on examination that what was thought to be oil was dirt. The K&N filters passed more air and they did it by not filtering the smaller particles.

I have stayed with OEM filters for my Audis and never have been disappointed in their performance.

Quick Reply: air filter on my Q