Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

air filter on my Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter on my Q

30 K miles on my q5,2.0t.
i pulled the air filter to take a look, my gosh was it dirty. took it out and tapped it on its side and i couldn't believe the dirt that came out of it. Ran down to the dealer and picked up a new one for $30.00 Really impressed how well the air box is designed. Car seems to idle and run a little smoother. Easy to replace. Just need a torx bit and a screw driver.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced mine with a K&N I got on Amazon for $45. I kept my original OEM to place in the Q for a day until my washed/dried and oiled K&N can be placed back.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q5dave
30 K miles on my q5,2.0t.
i pulled the air filter to take a look, my gosh was it dirty. took it out and tapped it on its side and i couldn't believe the dirt that came out of it. Ran down to the dealer and picked up a new one for $30.00 Really impressed how well the air box is designed. Car seems to idle and run a little smoother. Easy to replace. Just need a torx bit and a screw driver.
Can't beat OEM paper filter for efficiency and effectiveness!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've used the K&N filters before.I've read some negative things about the oiled filters.
I think i'm going to stick with the oem filter on this car.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the pleated paper filters. Next on the list would be an oiled foam filter type. Last place is an oiled gauze (K&N). This info was gleaned from studying independent comparison tests (done by people who don't have a horse in the race). If a K&N flowed better then it might be worth it to some people, but the increase/decrease in flow varies wildly from application to application and I haven't seen any evidence pro or con on our Q5s.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
+1 on the pleated paper filters. Next on the list would be an oiled foam filter type. Last place is an oiled gauze (K&N). This info was gleaned from studying independent comparison tests (done by people who don't have a horse in the race). If a K&N flowed better then it might be worth it to some people, but the increase/decrease in flow varies wildly from application to application and I haven't seen any evidence pro or con on our Q5s.
Irrespective of flow/performance, I've seen that it's one and done on both the Q and my Silverado. Not running back forth to the dealer buying air filters at every oil change or worst yet, having the dealer change it, is very well worth it to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Oil vapors from K&N filters clog air mass meter
Replacing the air mass meter is expensive ($ 200)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Oil vapors from K&N filters clog air mass meter
Replacing the air mass meter is expensive ($ 200)
Surely, if you oil improperly. Over oil. Over 150k on Silverado and Q. No problems.

MAF clog also with OEM filters that are not changed often. And as OP stated, he noticed a measureable idle and driveability difference when changed.

Generally speaking, K&N users are generally DIY folks that keep on top of the filter before driveability problem arise.

Different horses for different courses.

DIY @ every 10K oil change for 100K miles @ $30.= $300.

Let the dealer do it at 10K oil change for 100K miles @ $50 to $60.= $500-$600.

K&N, one time purchase, $45 plus possibly two cans of oil for 100K miles $25.+ $45.= $70. Keep OEM filter while K&N properly dries and place back in car and/or when trading in or selling and sell filter on ebay or Amazon for $30. Final cost, approx. $40.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Surely, if you oil improperly. Over oil. Over 150k on Silverado and Q. No problems.

MAF clog also with OEM filters that are not changed often. And as OP stated, he noticed a measureable idle and driveability difference when changed.

Generally speaking, K&N users are generally DIY folks that keep on top of the filter before driveability problem arise.

Different horses for different courses.

DIY @ every 10K oil change for 100K miles @ $30.= $300.

Let the dealer do it at 10K oil change for 100K miles @ $50 to $60.= $500-$600.

K&N, one time purchase, $45 plus possibly two cans of oil for 100K miles $25.+ $45.= $70. Keep OEM filter while K&N properly dries and place back in car and/or when trading in or selling and sell filter on ebay or Amazon for $30. Final cost, approx. $40.
If you know better than all the engineers in Audi service to congratulate you.
I have used 10-15 years ago K & N filters no more
Good luck with K&N filter

Last edited by spijun; 07-02-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Care

I paid for Audi Care so I let them take care of stuff like that.
I have 13K now so it will be going in soon.
I am/was a DIY person but I figured on our new Audi I am done with DIY. I am not smarter the the Audi engineers for sure.

Quick Reply: air filter on my Q