Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Aftermarket Pads and Rotors for 2013 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Pads and Rotors for 2013 Audi Q5

Hi All,

I own a 2013 Audi Q5 Premium Plus 2.0L Quattro . In my Recent visit to Audi Dealership for a 35K service . ( I currently have 30K miles on Audi Q5 )

I was advised that I should get my Front and Rear Break Pads and Rotors Changed . This is the current condition :- Front Brakes - 2mm and Rear Brakes - 4mm .

I went to an independent Brake Shop and the mechanic advised me that same .

I have narrowed on the following combinations for pads and rotors

1.) Akebono Pads + Zimmerman Rotors

2.) Akebono Pads + Brembo Rotors

3.) Brembo Pads + Zimmerman Rotors

4.) Brembo Pads + Brembo Rotors

Concern :- One of the common thing that both dealer and the brake shop mentioned is that they have had complaints about aftermarket products squeaking a lot .

I would really be helpful if someone can help with the pads and rotors combinations AND also the concern about aftermarket products squeaking as compared to OEM .

Hope to hear .
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Centric ceramic brake pads and Centric rotors, both new when it was installed. Bedded in the pads and had no issues first 2 weeks. Afterwards they squeal like crazy each morning. I bedded them in again, and for 3 days, no issues. But they continue to squeal each morning afterwards. Planning on switching out the pads to Akebono to see if there's a difference.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rtyagi2
Hi All,

I own a 2013 Audi Q5 Premium Plus 2.0L Quattro . In my Recent visit to Audi Dealership for a 35K service . ( I currently have 30K miles on Audi Q5 )

I was advised that I should get my Front and Rear Break Pads and Rotors Changed . This is the current condition :- Front Brakes - 2mm and Rear Brakes - 4mm .

I went to an independent Brake Shop and the mechanic advised me that same .

I have narrowed on the following combinations for pads and rotors

1.) Akebono Pads + Zimmerman Rotors

2.) Akebono Pads + Brembo Rotors

3.) Brembo Pads + Zimmerman Rotors

4.) Brembo Pads + Brembo Rotors

Concern :- One of the common thing that both dealer and the brake shop mentioned is that they have had complaints about aftermarket products squeaking a lot .

I would really be helpful if someone can help with the pads and rotors combinations AND also the concern about aftermarket products squeaking as compared to OEM .

Hope to hear .

I used Akebono brake pads and they did not make any noise, but they would not provide the same baking power as OEM pads because the pads on my 2010 Q5 are semi-metallic, and Akebono pads were ceramic.
I understand that at later year Audi started using ceramic pads in Q5 but I am not sure when they changed.

According to Rockauto.com, OEM material is semi-metallic for your year, but you may need to confirm that with another source.

In my experience, Textar pads feel exactly the same as OEM (Textar supplies Audi OEM pads).

I tried to use the ceramic pads to avoid brake dust because OEM pads leave thick layer of dust and if you do not wash you rims often, after a while the dust sticks to the rims and is almost impossible to remove.

The ceramic pads do not make as much dust and the dust does not stick to the rims.
if your OEM pads make a lot of black/dark dust which is difficult to remove they are semi-metallic pads, if not they are probably ceramic pads.