Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

After exhaust installation???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After exhaust installation???

Hello guys,

what did you guys do with your old exhaust after you installed new stasis or apr exhaust??
Old 01-27-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monsterj34
what did you guys do with your old exhaust after you installed new stasis or apr exhaust??
I wanted to keep mine in one piece and bring it home. Store it and put it back on when I went to sell my A6. However I couldn't get it to fit in my SUV. I chopped it down and figured I would sell for scrap. According to the dealer I had valuable pieces to sell. However I couldn't find enough evidence to mount a case, so I gave it to a scrapper on Craigslist. It was not worth my time for the $10-15 I would have got at the scrapper.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its best to keep the OEM exhaust in case if you ever failed inspection or if you tend to trade in your car. You lose a lot of money if you keep an aftermarket exhaust on the car
Old 01-27-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

+1
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
its best to keep the OEM exhaust in case if you ever failed inspection or if you tend to trade in your car. You lose a lot of money if you keep an aftermarket exhaust on the car
Depends on your definition of a lot? I personally don't think you will lose money compared to a factory set up. The only catch is you will not really recoup any money on having Stasis or others. So yea, in my case, I will lose $1600 that I paid for mine. However you depreciate that out over the number of years I will own the car and the enjoyment level and that is a different number. I don't think you will have to sell your car for less because of performance after market mods vs a stock identical model. You just have to market the car to the right group to get top dollar.

As for inspections, a factory exhaust could fail as well. I personally think the key is to buy a performance exhaust from a reputable company. Don't buy off of Ebay cause it is cheap.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Depends on your definition of a lot? I personally don't think you will lose money compared to a factory set up. The only catch is you will not really recoup any money on having Stasis or others. So yea, in my case, I will lose $1600 that I paid for mine. However you depreciate that out over the number of years I will own the car and the enjoyment level and that is a different number. I don't think you will have to sell your car for less because of performance after market mods vs a stock identical model. You just have to market the car to the right group to get top dollar.

As for inspections, a factory exhaust could fail as well. I personally think the key is to buy a performance exhaust from a reputable company. Don't buy off of Ebay cause it is cheap.
dealers are scumbags when it comes to trading in your car. All mods done to the car will depreciate your cars value regardless of "black book" or kellys blue book. Dealers hate dealing with aftermarket products being bolted onto the car.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
dealers are scumbags when it comes to trading in your car. All mods done to the car will depreciate your cars value regardless of "black book" or kellys blue book. Dealers hate dealing with aftermarket products being bolted onto the car.
Ha, that's the first mistake. When I was trading in my C5 to get my C7, they offered me $4400 for a car worth closer to $20k. I rolled the dice and went private sale. I had the title in hand. I got $9500. My frame of mine in selling cars has changed. My last two cars I have seen the title for (just got my Nissan's title in the mail yesterday). With that said, I plan on doing private sales as I am holding my cars longer now. I agree with you that mods on a dealer trade suck. However mods on a private sale if you market enthusiasts will not bring top dollar, but will not hurt you that much.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Ha, that's the first mistake. When I was trading in my C5 to get my C7, they offered me $4400 for a car worth closer to $20k. I rolled the dice and went private sale. I had the title in hand. I got $9500. My frame of mine in selling cars has changed. My last two cars I have seen the title for (just got my Nissan's title in the mail yesterday). With that said, I plan on doing private sales as I am holding my cars longer now. I agree with you that mods on a dealer trade suck. However mods on a private sale if you market enthusiasts will not bring top dollar, but will not hurt you that much.
of course private sell would be better then the stealers(dealers) lol. that's why I said save the exhaust in case if you need to bolt it back on to trade it. And you can actually sell the aftermarket exhaust. Just lose a few hundred. If OP ends up trading in the car. its going to cost an arm and a leg to purchase an OEM exhaust for the new buyer.

ive seen on other forums where people sell all their OEM parts for extra money but ends up buying it all back just to trade in the car. lol.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I traded in my A4 is was APR stage 2+ with the APR down pipe and exhaust. The dealer was fine with it but told me he wouldn't certify it for the extra warranty. The car sold in two weeks.