Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advanced Key and Ignition Button

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Key and Ignition Button

Can someone explain/elaborate what the benefits are of the Advanced key and is the ignition button only available if you purchase the advanced key. i am littlle confused on this option. in your opinions is it a must have, like to have or dont miss it option/feature.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Basically it means you never have to take the key fob out of your pocket. This is actually a lot more convienent than it sounds - especially if your hands are often full of stuff. You also get the ignition button on the center console and don't have to wait for the key to release when you turn off the car. All that said, if you are in the US, you can only get this with the prestige package which I feel is over priced. It certainly isn't worth getting for the advanced key alone.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only is it an ignition button so you never have to use the key to start the car, but all you have to do it touch the door handle and the doors lock/unlock. Never have the take the key out of your pocket.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike678
Basically it means you never have to take the key fob out of your pocket. This is actually a lot more convienent than it sounds - especially if your hands are often full of stuff. You also get the ignition button on the center console and don't have to wait for the key to release when you turn off the car. All that said, if you are in the US, you can only get this with the prestige package which I feel is over priced. It certainly isn't worth getting for the advanced key alone.
It is overpriced to get it which is why I went with the Prem Plus but I'm starting to have second thoughts. It's a PITA to dig a key out of a purse when I can just hop in the highlander and go.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That might be a deal breaker for me. I've gotten used to having that feature (not option) for the last 4 years. I don't know if I could go back to actually using a key and the Prestige is way too spendy for what you get.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up with that option on my Nissan, did't really want it or care for it. Until I started using it, It was an awesome thing to have. So convienient, opening doors, locking doors and starting. But here was no way I was upgrading from the Prem+ to Prestige....what a huge price increase.

I do miss that keyless option though.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by flybooey
I ended up with that option on my Nissan, did't really want it or care for it. Until I started using it, It was an awesome thing to have. So convienient, opening doors, locking doors and starting. But here was no way I was upgrading from the Prem+ to Prestige....what a huge price increase.

I do miss that keyless option though.
+1! Loved keyless in my 330. Paid $450 extra , and will pay again this amount or slightly more, but $3000 - no way!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It seems that with every car I look at there's always head scratcher like this. The Infiniti EX has the smart-key feature (no-one's mentioned the cool "welcome lighting" that comes with this fob system) at almost $10,000 less.

It drove me crazy that with the Lexus you couldn't get an integrated iPod but you got a cassette deck. a CASSETTE DECK!!

Oh well, I'll wait until I get to catually see one and drive it to make up my mind. My dealer doesn't have any in stock and won't for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Prestige package is overpriced, but I think the advanced key is an awesome option and you even get the heat/cooled cup holder to boot!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It definitely should be standard. So many cars come with it standard now. My BMW it was a $1000 option (535i) and on the 335i it was $500 less. Seems like a German thing to make it an option. My mom just picked up an Infiniti EX last weekend, and it came standard with lots of things that were optional on my Q5

Quick Reply: Advanced Key and Ignition Button