Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advanced Key + Car Wash = Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advanced Key + Car Wash = Problem?

The other day I took my Q5 to the car wash to rinse it off using the pressure washer and while I was hosing off the vehicle, it kept locking and unlocking by itself. Has anyone run across this? Is there something wrong with my Q5, or is this normal? If it's normal, it sucked.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the key in your pocket (outside the car) and was the car running or shut off?

The only thing I've noticed is that if I leave it running while I step outside, nothing locks or unlocks, but the display does show the key 'not within range' or 'missing' (something like that) when I get back to it...

-tgt
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my new 3.0T to the car wash last week - I turned off the stop-start, and I also used the key in the ignition thinking something might not be right going through the car wash.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tgt
Was the key in your pocket (outside the car) and was the car running or shut off?

The only thing I've noticed is that if I leave it running while I step outside, nothing locks or unlocks, but the display does show the key 'not within range' or 'missing' (something like that) when I get back to it...

-tgt
The key was in my pocket, but the car was off. I also couldn't unlock the door by touching the door handle afterwards. It would chirp, but the doors would stay locked. I had to use the unlock button on the key to get back into the car. It's like the whole system went haywire when it was wet with the key in close proximity.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

some cause and effect there
Was it high pressure hoses ?
high pressure hose and electronics sometimes don't play well together - I'd be careful spraying the door handles, etc...

and mention it to your dealer via email...
(that worked with my great dealer - the svc guy assigned to me would save them up for the next maint. visit)

or maybe it was a cell phone in your pocket hitting the lock unlock ?

I carry my cell in my front pocket and am always 'butt dialing' the wife (who I put first so I wouldn't bother others )

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

our sensors are very sensitive. if the key is inside the car it will not unlock or lock while you are hosing it down. But if you had the key in the pocket it will unlock and lock as you hose the handles down. im guessing its the distance of the remote not sure thou. if you decide to keep the key in the car be SURE to take the key out of the remote for safety.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
our sensors are very sensitive. if the key is inside the car it will not unlock or lock while you are hosing it down. But if you had the key in the pocket it will unlock and lock as you hose the handles down. im guessing its the distance of the remote not sure thou. if you decide to keep the key in the car be SURE to take the key out of the remote for safety.
Good idea! I'll try that next time. This is my first time w/ the advanced key and I've had this lock, unlock, lights flash thing happen twice now since I got the car. Both times using the pressure washer at the carwash only because it's too cold to do it by hand at home. The manual says to hold the spray nozzle of a power washer at least 1.3 ft away, and I did. I figured it had something to do with the sensors getting wet but it seems kind of strange that a sensor designed to be outside can't tolerate water? As soon as it warms up I'm going to see if it does it with just a garden hose. It could be that the pressure forces moisture into places it's not supposed to go? Now if I can just figure out why the parking brake keeps randomly setting itself Other than these 2 really minor glitches, I am extremely happy with my 3.0T (unlike the 2011 3.2 I traded in)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YES

Yes it happens to me all the time. When I wash it and the key is in my pocket it locks, unlocks, etc. constantly. I take the key and place it on my work bench to stop it.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It is normal. My Q also does it. I dont think it will "hurt" itself but is is annoying hearing that chirp every time water hits the door handles.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
Good idea! I'll try that next time. This is my first time w/ the advanced key and I've had this lock, unlock, lights flash thing happen twice now since I got the car. Both times using the pressure washer at the carwash only because it's too cold to do it by hand at home. The manual says to hold the spray nozzle of a power washer at least 1.3 ft away, and I did. I figured it had something to do with the sensors getting wet but it seems kind of strange that a sensor designed to be outside can't tolerate water? As soon as it warms up I'm going to see if it does it with just a garden hose. It could be that the pressure forces moisture into places it's not supposed to go? Now if I can just figure out why the parking brake keeps randomly setting itself Other than these 2 really minor glitches, I am extremely happy with my 3.0T (unlike the 2011 3.2 I traded in)
i feel ya on that. its all sensitive for the sensors. But believe it or not. i like this feature alot compared to all other push start cars. Check with the dealer regarding the parking brake. i wonder how the 3.0T feels like lol

Quick Reply: Advanced Key + Car Wash = Problem?