Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5

Been a long time since I have been here at AW.

I have had a few cars since my last Audi (S4 way back when) and am looking to get into an SQ5. Getting a pretty nice deal on a 2016 Lava Pearl Premium plus with pretty much all options. It has been at the dealer for a while and I think I can make a good deal. They need to help me out on my current lease (work Ford Escape Titanium).

I am torn between this car, a Volvo Polestar (full polestar not the R Design) and a GLA 45 AMG.

I know this is an Audi site and everyone will say get it but Id like some opinions on the matter. The SQ is the lowest in price which is one of the most important draws. The Polestar while being a wagon, is very interesting to me but then again, its a volvo (no offense). The AMG is a rocket and would be fun but I think I may get tired of it and I have never been a fan of MBs. If we had an RSQ3 in SUV form that is what I would take.

Ill chime in on what I do which may be in a few hours.
J
Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

How do you plan to use it? Daily Driver? Weekends and fun only? 3rd/4th/5th car?

I ask because, while the GLA is a goofy, over-the-top fun little car, it will get tiring if you need to drive it every day. The turbo lag and dual clutch just felt very...hmmm...very unfinished tuner to me. Given the right mood, it can be enormous fun, but all other times it would probably irritate the hell outta me. I drove one for ~24 hours as an arranged loaner when my Q was in.

The SQ is built for ***** and giggles while still being a very livable car for everyday. I'm sure you'll get dozens of opinions around here from guys that own 'em rather than a 3.0T owner who's test driven 1.

Can't speak to the Volvo at all as I've never seen one. Seems OK, but no real opinion worth voicing...

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few months ago the AMG GLA caught my eye. All black exterior. Gorgeous! The interior was not my style. That giant screen is just "ugh". I did not like the turbo lag. Horrible! A few mag reviews mention it, too. I had to drive it like a video game to keep the fun factor up and as mentioned it would be tiring as a daily driver. Told the salesman "I believe the Golf R with its near 300 HP and $39,000 sticker is the better deal even though some German did not hand sign the engine." He did not disagree. FYI, I have since found the manual Golf R fully loaded for sub $39,000 but passed because it had no spare, no sunroof (not a gigantic deal breaker), and no center console that lifted. Plus it looks like a girl car (all my guy friends who own it or the GTI punch me, please). I digress. In any color other than all black the AMG looks like a clown car to me. Beauty is in the eye of the girl I'm picking up for a date, isn't that how it goes?

On a related note I drove the Macan S and though it had just a touch of turbo lag, but it was diesel torquey compared to the Mercedes. But I didn't have to drive the Macan as crazy hard to tap into its potential versus the Mercedes. Gosh that Mercedes turbo lag just suuuuuucks. And compared to my SQ5 I thought the Macan had to be driven "harder" to realize its awesome handling. I don't drive ***** to the walls all the time, although today I got in a spirited bout on our hilly drive home with one semi tight off camber left. I had the Audi at the limit, and it was awesome. The SQ5 supercharger gets it done NOW with no turbo lag but in high rpm situations the lag is not an issue and I told friends after that even the cheaper Macan with the expensive torque vector option thingy would've been a good thing to have on this drive. The Macan handles so well that it feels lower, wider and more level when the throttle kisses the floorboard. For the other 90% of my driving the SQ5 is the one I laughed, giggled and smiled the most. I can't imagine what a Macan Turbo with some options would do, gosh!

My SQ5 in dynamic with ESC off is about half a second quicker to 60 than full auto in S mode with ESC on. No, it's not a dragster but that's how I drive. One magazine did the same and got mid 4 second time. No turbo lag. Great sound and exhaust.

I also looked at the hot rod Volvo but resale is zilch in my neck of the woods, they only had the infamous blue and, well, I forget. Oh, it wasn't in stock for a year. Or never. I'm all for super fast wagons but I'm not looking for a Volvo wagon. A S4 Avant Audi would've been perfect. I digress. Again.

I did not buy my SQ5 custom. Paid about $56000 USD. The Macan S I drove was $69,000 with options I would not need and a few I would want not in the car. I've since built a macan s online and it's about $4000 more than my SQ5 with about 20% less spec. I could do with about 10% less spec on my SQ5 via special order but luckily it was on the lot with what I wanted. Plus the SQ5 was the only vehicle that made me go back and test drive again. Price and dealer support was priority for me. The Macan S did not make me go "ooooh, this is nasty fun". It just made me go "wow, this is a great handling car I don't love." Again, to each their own.

Cool how you've been a member forever and have about 2 posts. I like that.

Last edited by kreativecid; 09-30-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And maybe you've seen this already: Five-Door Fury: the modern German crossover shootout

The GLA comes out better in this one: Comparison: SQ5 vs. X4 xDrive35i vs. GLA45 AMG vs. Macan Turbo

Last edited by kreativecid; 09-30-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Kreative,

Deal is done. Driving a Lava Pearl SQ5 Prem plus with most of the goodies. I picked it up last night. Very happy with it so far. Getting used to a few things and babying a little to break it in. I will get in trouble with this car. Thank you for your insight and it was in line with what I thought. Glad to be back in the Audi family.

Crazy to think that I joined AW in 2000! Not sure how to take your comment about my lack of posts but I have always lurked on the site even when I strayed off of the Audi path. Always found it informative and I was living vicariously through the members. I promise to be more active.

In any event, I am very happy with the car and will be taking my first road trip this weekend.

JJ

PS. Before I start searching, what is the limit on the MMI phonebook. Seems like it is indicating 2000 contacts. I syncd my iPhone and it did not bring all of the contacts in. I am unsure how it decides to choose which ones come in and which do not. No apparent logic as of right now. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-09-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Many threads on this I am sure, but going easy on the break-in is actually not the best method. Do a search, but spirited driving is a good idea.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Key part of the phrase is "a little". Based on my avg MPG i have not babied it at all. I will get in trouble with this car I am sure!

Ill post pics soon when I do the first wash...

J
Old 10-09-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoFla S4
Key part of the phrase is "a little". Based on my avg MPG i have not babied it at all. I will get in trouble with this car I am sure!

Ill post pics soon when I do the first wash...

J
Congrats - you picked awesome (Lava is a great color, the best IMO).
Old 10-09-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on your new ride! I've had my SQ5 for 23 months and I still absolutley LOVE it. I think you made a great choice.