Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 SQ5 after 75K

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 SQ5 after 75K

Hello All,

First post here...I'm about to trade-in for either a 2017 2.0 Q5 with 11K or a 2015 SQ5 with 80K! Am I crazy for even considering the SQ5 with that many miles?! For what's its worth the SQ5 is about 7K cheaper and the payment falls squarely within my Firm's monthly car allowance. Obviously there's risks involved, but I'm hoping someone on here can provide some insight as to an SQ5 with that many miles. From the reviewing the carfax the car was regularly serviced at least every 10K and has no accidents or major issues. From the odometer readings, the previous owner must have driven a lot for work.

Any insight is welcomed, and I'm looking forward to joining the Q5 club one way or another!

Cheers,
Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We just picked up a 2015 SQ5 with 11,300 miles on it, 3,000 miles ago. Most of the reason we chose this over the current gen, was the motor (and price had a factor). Wife has a B8 S5, which has the same basic motor. Great car. Nothing against the current model, but we didn't feel the difference was that great and the throttle response of the supercharger is better. The 3.0T motor has a good reputation of being reliable, don't know anything about the 2.0T. That said, mine 3.0T needed a new water pump at 14,000 miles. The 2017 is going to have a warranty.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I just got a 014 SQ5 with 46k miles. I love this car. It is comfortable and because it is so smooth I find I am speeding in it more than my RS5. A good friend just got a 014 with 108k miles and it is running great. I have heard great things about the 3.0T engine
Old 12-14-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

If you cannot "afford" the 2017 Q5 then it is an SQ5 2015. I would not spend more than I can afford. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't really provide any insight, but I can tell you I was in the exact same position 2 months ago. I went with a 2014 SQ5 with 72k on it over 2.0T Q5's with far less miles. For me it came down to driving them both... and once you drive an SQ5 you'll probably hate the 2.0T like I did. For peace of mind you can go to your local Audi dealership and buy a block of Audi Care Plus warranty coverage for that SQ5 to cover you from 75k until 100k. So i'd say go with the SQ5, but I'm bias. lol

Last edited by DonnyK; 12-14-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I on the other hand went with a 2017 Q5. Its all about what you need/want or can afford.
I decided to get a new Q5 instead of a used SQ5 because:

1. It was cheaper considering how new + warranty
2. My first SUV, wasnt sure what I wanted
3. First child born so my driving style/habit and frequency has changed
4. The 2.0 is enough for the time being...it will eventually be handed over to my wife

In the future, I am getting the SQ5 for sure...just didnt need it at this time.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadofthePac4
Hello All,

First post here...I'm about to trade-in for either a 2017 2.0 Q5 with 11K or a 2015 SQ5 with 80K! Am I crazy for even considering the SQ5 with that many miles?! For what's its worth the SQ5 is about 7K cheaper and the payment falls squarely within my Firm's monthly car allowance. Obviously there's risks involved, but I'm hoping someone on here can provide some insight as to an SQ5 with that many miles. From the reviewing the carfax the car was regularly serviced at least every 10K and has no accidents or major issues. From the odometer readings, the previous owner must have driven a lot for work.

Any insight is welcomed, and I'm looking forward to joining the Q5 club one way or another!

Cheers,
If you are a low mileage driver then I'd go for the SQ and if you can get a Warr of some kind{paying for it of course} then even better.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the insight guys! After increasing the "search radius" and finding some other SQ5s I've decided the incremental cost to pick up an SQ5 with around 45K in miles is worth it the peace of mind. It's good to know that some of you have experience or knows someone who hasn't had too much trouble over 75k+.

The warranty to 100K though is still in there air. Perhaps, I'll do it if you can roll into the loan otherwise I wonder if it's best to put the money aside, etc.

Thanks again for all the insight everyone.

Best,
Old 12-14-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadofthePac4
Thanks for all the insight guys! After increasing the "search radius" and finding some other SQ5s I've decided the incremental cost to pick up an SQ5 with around 45K in miles is worth it the peace of mind. It's good to know that some of you have experience or knows someone who hasn't had too much trouble over 75k+.

The warranty to 100K though is still in there air. Perhaps, I'll do it if you can roll into the loan otherwise I wonder if it's best to put the money aside, etc.

Thanks again for all the insight everyone.

Best,
https://www.carprousa.com/should-you...y-car-pro-news
Old 12-14-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if it is any help, I have a 2010 Q5 with the 3.2 V6 motor. Different from the current SQ5 and Q5. My car has 209,000 miles. I am still very happy with the car. I have only recently started looking for new cars, just so I might be ready in a year or so if it is time to replace the car.

I keep my car in great shape and replace all worn things as needed (tires, brakes, oil, filters, spark plugs, fluids, etc). It has started to burn (or leak??) about a quart of oil every 5-7,000 miles. I see no drops on the garage floor, so I assume it must be burning it, but no smoke or rough engine noise. 1 quart per that many miles isn't something I am concerned with.

Nothing outside of warranty was replaced in the first 100,000 miles. In the last 100,000 miles the following was replaced other than normal items:

3 electric door locks (replaced at independent shop)
electric sunshade
front control arms (rubber bushings were worn - cheaper to replace whole arm instead of removing, pressing out old bushings, and pressing in new ones). Done at independent shop.
Fuel smell in the cabin (was later covered by recall - all money refunded)
coolant nylon pipe (just replaced at 208,000 miles - Audi dealer was doing a big service (including airbag recall for the inflators) and noticed a small leak on some pipe between cylinder heads.

and thats it. The only other items that went wrong were a defective DRL (covered under warranty), water pump (recall / warranty), back seat rattle (warranty).

I have never had the "blocked exhaust ports" carbon issue that I have read about with these engines.

It has been the most trouble free car I have owned. I use a mix of dealer and independent shops for service. If it is basic fluids, tires, brakes I go to an independent. If it requires spark plugs, or something else, I go to the dealer. I make sure it goes to the dealer at least once a year for a good "look over".

I would have no problem owning a high mileage Audi, especially if you know that service had been done regularly and all things taken care of as needed.

Quick Reply: 2015 SQ5 after 75K