Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 3.0 TDI S-line Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI S-line Feedback Needed

Hello All! I am in Arizona and looking at a used 2015 Q5 3.0L TDI S-line Premium Plus w/Technology Package. It's got almost 137k miles on it. Audi "diesel-gate" repair/fix done in mid-2018 and no additional warranty remains. Appears to have decent maintenance records and was a California car. It had front struts replaced at 74k miles, and the idler pulley and serpentine belt around 125k (ish). Asking price is just under $14k, but KBB "fair price" range is $11,500 - $13,390 so I'd like to land in the $12k - $12,500k range. What I want to know more about is the overall longevity of the Audi Q5 3.0 TDIs. Are they reliable? Is it crazy to consider one with 137k miles? I drive a 2007 FJ Cruiser with 141k miles and I'd trust it to go for hundreds of thousands of miles more without much more than regular maintenance. I drive 95-100 miles every day that I commute to work (5 days every two weeks) and use a 1/4 tank of gas with each roundtrip to work. The TDI should net me close to 30 mpg with that commute which would be great! Those of you with the 3.0L TDI Q5... how many miles do you have on the clock? What kind of repairs have you encountered? What kind of repairs can I expect? I'd appreciate any info you can provide, as I am not too familiar with this platform... yet.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 155k on mine. If that one has been regularly maintained it will never die. Just find out whatever else wear and tear items need to be done on it and negotiate the price around them.
The following users liked this post:
AudiInAZ (02-26-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

And then get the ECU flashed, that will brighten it up post diesel-gate fix. Malones tune is great.
AudiInAZ (02-26-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiInAZ
Hello All! I am in Arizona and looking at a used 2015 Q5 3.0L TDI S-line Premium Plus w/Technology Package. It's got almost 137k miles on it. Audi "diesel-gate" repair/fix done in mid-2018 and no additional warranty remains. Appears to have decent maintenance records and was a California car. It had front struts replaced at 74k miles, and the idler pulley and serpentine belt around 125k (ish). Asking price is just under $14k, but KBB "fair price" range is $11,500 - $13,390 so I'd like to land in the $12k - $12,500k range. What I want to know more about is the overall longevity of the Audi Q5 3.0 TDIs. Are they reliable? Is it crazy to consider one with 137k miles? I drive a 2007 FJ Cruiser with 141k miles and I'd trust it to go for hundreds of thousands of miles more without much more than regular maintenance. I drive 95-100 miles every day that I commute to work (5 days every two weeks) and use a 1/4 tank of gas with each roundtrip to work. The TDI should net me close to 30 mpg with that commute which would be great! Those of you with the 3.0L TDI Q5... how many miles do you have on the clock? What kind of repairs have you encountered? What kind of repairs can I expect? I'd appreciate any info you can provide, as I am not too familiar with this platform... yet.
I have a 15 Q5 TDI, 2nd owner, it was a CPO, bought it at 50k miles. No issues so far except an emissions sensor. It had a recall to replace the DPF which was done, no issues with DPF but a sensor was giving a CEL. I replaced the serpentine belt and I had the transmission fluid & filter changed at 71k miles which is suggested by ZF the transmission manufacturer, however, Audi will say fluid is lifetime, I trust the trans maker's opinion. I will replaced trans fluid and filter again at about 120k miles. I have been changing engine oil and filter at 6k-6.5k miles for the past 6 changes, prior to that it was every 9k miles.
I am still under emissions warranty for another 7k miles and I expect that at some point after warranty is done other emissions components will cause issues so may consider a delete and tune in the future. At your mileage you may want to consider a trans fluid change but if it has not been done in the past you may want to further consult this and other forums.
AudiInAZ (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are looking at a high mileage German car the TDI engine should help alleviate the drivetrain concerns. It's still a German car not a Toyota. You'll spend more per year with maintenance than you might in 10 years on a Toyota.

I own my Q5 TDI as my luxury commuter. Nothing else in it's class can match it. The Lexus 450H was considered because it's reliability and resale but it's not fun to drive, doesn't have a turbo, and didn't tow as well.

I have a Land Cruiser as my high mileage Toyota SUV. It's pretty nice also but much bigger and definitely more of a truck. The Q5 feels like a lifted Golf R that can tow. That's unique in the auto world
AudiInAZ (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
I have 155k on mine. If that one has been regularly maintained it will never die. Just find out whatever else wear and tear items need to be done on it and negotiate the price around them.
Thank you! I do plan on getting a pre-purchase inspection ($250 at the local Audi dealer) for peace of mind. Looking at the CarFax... it has had front struts (75K miles), serpentine and idler pulley (127k miles) and has a pretty good history of all the major inspections and oil changes. Seems to have been taken care of pretty well.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
And then get the ECU flashed, that will brighten it up post diesel-gate fix. Malones tune is great.
Great suggestion! Thank you. I wasn't sure if there were tunes for the diesels also. Awesome to know.
Avant4Adam (03-02-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by a1sailor
I have a 15 Q5 TDI, 2nd owner, it was a CPO, bought it at 50k miles. No issues so far except an emissions sensor. It had a recall to replace the DPF which was done, no issues with DPF but a sensor was giving a CEL. I replaced the serpentine belt and I had the transmission fluid & filter changed at 71k miles which is suggested by ZF the transmission manufacturer, however, Audi will say fluid is lifetime, I trust the trans maker's opinion. I will replaced trans fluid and filter again at about 120k miles. I have been changing engine oil and filter at 6k-6.5k miles for the past 6 changes, prior to that it was every 9k miles.
I am still under emissions warranty for another 7k miles and I expect that at some point after warranty is done other emissions components will cause issues so may consider a delete and tune in the future. At your mileage you may want to consider a trans fluid change but if it has not been done in the past you may want to further consult this and other forums.
Thank you for those tips! Solid advice. We (the husband, actually) did the all the fluids on the FJ when we brought it home with 116k miles. (front diff, trans and rear diff) Husband has the knowhow for the FJ and for BMWs... how different/difficult is the Audi platform in comparison to a BMW? (He's had 550i, 750Li, and now 650i with tune.) CarFax records on the Q5 show the serpentine belt and idler pulley were replaced around 127k miles... so good there. These have timing chains (not belts), correct? Are they "lifetime" like the Toyota, or do you hear about failures there?
Old 02-26-2024, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by simplesez
If you are looking at a high mileage German car the TDI engine should help alleviate the drivetrain concerns. It's still a German car not a Toyota. You'll spend more per year with maintenance than you might in 10 years on a Toyota.

I own my Q5 TDI as my luxury commuter. Nothing else in it's class can match it. The Lexus 450H was considered because it's reliability and resale but it's not fun to drive, doesn't have a turbo, and didn't tow as well.

I have a Land Cruiser as my high mileage Toyota SUV. It's pretty nice also but much bigger and definitely more of a truck. The Q5 feels like a lifted Golf R that can tow. That's unique in the auto world
Sounds like you get the... German performance factor AND the Japanese drive it until the wheels fall off dependability factor. I'd love to pick up the new First Edition Land Cruiser... but we love the FJ and have had a lot of fun fixing it up. I'm squarely focused on getting that perfect commuter that is fun and (mostly) practical all wrapped into one. My husband has a BMW so he is definitely familiar with the maintenance. (Although we have been fairly lucky in that department.) I understand the special oil needs, the DEF fluid (that's new to me), and perhaps more brakes than "normal"... anything else that stands out for the Q5 TDIs as something to watch for? A friend just paid $8k in repairs on her S5 with 60k miles on it. I am just hoping not to get into that kind of situation.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look for oil/fluid leaks around the oil filter and in the valley in the middle of the engine. EGR and other seals have been known to fail around the mileage of vehicle that you are looking at. Removing the belly pan and see if it is wet. Another indicator of seal leaking. Chain rattle during cold start-up. Can come and go. Not a real issue, just noisy. Sun roof rattle or squeak is common. Clean and lub. If you are thinking of towing, look for one with the factory tow package installed as retrofit is a real pain for getting all of the parts. Might look for one with lower miles and that still has some of the warranty left.
AudiInAZ (02-27-2024)

Quick Reply: 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI S-line Feedback Needed