Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Wrecked Audi Q5 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The airbag light is on even though there is no airbags deployed. Is there anyway to bypass the battery disconnect fuse?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you just clear the code? Not sure if you've tried that or not.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have any scanner too do that. I went ahead an ordered the part so guess will hope it works.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is a disconnect located by the battery that blows in a accident disconnecting power to the motor, This part is not repairable, it must be replaced. You can hook up a a jumper wire and bypass it.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could you explain how I would bypass it? I did locate the disconnect. Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You shoud be able to take a jumper cable from the positive terminal of the battery to the output terminal or wire of the disconnect.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I replaced the batter disconnect fuse but it still isn't working.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does something have to be reset?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Nein! Das ist an AUDI. Foolish mortal, you thought you bought a car.

There is something that Audi does not like to discuss. A "safety feature" that ensures that after unspecified crash conditions, possibly based on airbag deployment, possibly not, the ALTERNATOR and STARTER circuits will be cut off at the battery itself, "to ensure your safety". And that can only be reset by a Certified Audi Repair Technician who will replace a mysterious fuse, fusible link, pyrotechnic device, explosive bolt...no one will say exactly what, but something "blows" at the battery, and the only way to repower those two circuits, is to replace the blown thing at the battery. Expect to pay $100-150 for that, they have to remove the cargo floor cover, remove the subwoofer, remove the spare, remove the tool tray and jack, and probably remove the battery as well. It's buried in there.

Any independent shop should be able to tell you WHAT the gizmo is, and replace it or bypass it, but Audi certainly won't tell you that.

The fact that yours won't start, tells you that whoever fixed it was not familiar with Audis. and didn't do a great job. (Sorry.)

An Audi is like a box of CrackerJack, or Forrest Gump's chocolates: There's always a surprise inside!

And oh, P.S., if the battery was disconnected at some point? The vehicle "must" be reprogrammed as well, as there is an active power management system that will complain "Someone may have changed the battery, I did not give permission to change the battery! I do not know what is now the battery!" That needs software and a connection specific to VW and Audi. $$

Last edited by Redd; 03-06-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a picture of the device somewhere but that was 2 years ago. There is still a code in the airbag computer if that device blew. The only way to reset it is with VCDS or a dealer. I never had a problem with the power management and my battery was disconnected for over a month. The airbag computer will also throw a code that says "crash data stored" which needs to be cleared (can only be cleared twice before it needs to be replaced).

Do you hear a click or just nothing at all?

I had the biggest crunch on the forum I think... fixed it myself except for pulling the frame horn back straight and the painting. Bought it as a write off so I only paid $23k after fixing it.

Last edited by Telate; 03-07-2015 at 03:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Wrecked Audi Q5 won't start