Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 TDI post fix issues O2 Sensor check engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Yes it's unfortunate that dealer invoices don't show any detail of the $$.They've pocketed a lot of cash replacing Nox sensors outside the new warranty.I've seen bills as high as 2K for a job that should cost max $500.VW Touaregs seem to eat them faster than Q5s ?
I glanced quickly at the dealer copy which I signed. I think the labor was about $638 and the part was about $150. I should start taking photos of the dealer copies.

Murray, how many miles have you driven the TDI since you got the fix?

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 11-09-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Dennis I've done about 15k kms/ 10k miles.I've had zero issues except for a very minor increase in Def consumption.I'm lucky as 90% of my driving is highway at higher speed.Diesel emission systems seem to do better under those conditions.I also strongly believe that fuel/oil choices are very important with this engine.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Yes it's unfortunate that dealer invoices don't show any detail of the $$.They've pocketed a lot of cash replacing Nox sensors outside the new warranty.I've seen bills as high as 2K for a job that should cost max $500.VW Touaregs seem to eat them faster than Q5s ?
My old Touareg ate NOx sensors faster than a certain politician I know eats Big Macs. My Q5 has been free of trouble (knock wood) in my 21 months of ownership, including the last nine post fix. That corresponds to about 12K miles under both. Like you, Murray, I am driving mostly 40mph and higher, with few lights or stop signs.

Last edited by Mythdoc; 11-10-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my car back put in all 3 exhaust temp sensors and 30 minutes later my check engine light came on again yet another call and trip to the dealer
Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is why I've held off getting the fix. The car is running great so I dont wanna mess it up yet. I use Castrol oil as recommended and have ONLY since inception, use approved gas stations. My primary is shell, followed by Mobil. When I'm traveling, I use BP, IF there's no shell or exxon Mobil. I'm going to wait until the absolute last day or two, if I can make it. My cars a 14 pp w/96k miles all by me. Hope that helps.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by marckap
Has anyone had issues with there check engine light coming on after the fix, I have had 4 instances since the fix and all issue's were replacement of the O2 sensor at the dealer. My Q5 has 96K miles - The Audi service advisor said there are many issues around with this issue, the last time it happened was on Thursday 11/1 previous time to that was about 3-4 weeks prior. My appointment is for this Thursday my assumption is that it is another O2 issue.
Just wondering how many of you are experiencing this same issue. Thank you
Yes, 2 times so far... sensor $533 on invoice - free due to emission warranty (originally said particulate filter). 12/13 and 12/23 (light came on within 2 days of fix). wife just got it back last night.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had three check engine lights since the fix (last January), two resulted in O2 sensor replacements. The third cleared itself after a while. Dealer suspected bad fuel or short trips causing regen difficulties. I thought that was strange as although my wife does do a lot of local driving, she also does two 60-mile highway round-trips a week ... figured that should be enough for the regen process to do its thing. Still love the car though :-)
Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wondering is anyone has found a long term solution for this issue? I'm looking at 2014 Q5 TDI that was reacquired by Audi because they could not get the check engine light to go out. The local dealer replaced an 02 sensor 3 times and after that the owner had them repurchase it under the lemon law. Car was sent to Audi where they "fixed" it by replacing another 02 sensor. I test drove the car at another dealer and it blew a code during the test drive. According to carfax the car had no issues until after 50,000 miles and what was reported a a "reprogramming". That makes 4 02 sensors in about 3,000 miles. I have confirmed that the car has had "the fix".

Reading these posts makes me think this is a common occurrence after "the fix". How is everyone handling these issues? Anyone have the 02 sensor issues completely stop? I know I am stretching here, but is there anyway to undo the "fix"...

Love the car, cant pull the trigger knowing I'll be at the dealer every 2 weeks.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Knock on wood, I have no problems with codes since the November 2018 sensor replacement (April 2018 fix). Enjoying the Q5 TDI as before. I think there was a learning curve the Audi techs were facing, and hopefully we will have a reliability going forward.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dennis,

Thanks for the quick reply. The dealer just called me and said they took it to an Audi shop and this time they replaced an exhaust sensor. Think they are referring to the NOX sensor that was replaced on your vehicle? They want $18,000 for the Q5, which has $54,000 miles on it. I think that is pretty good, but its a lemon law by back so it should be cheap....thoughts?

I notice you have tow hitch on yours? I know the rating on the 2.0 T is 4500 lbs, and so is the 3.0 TDI. I cant believe thats' true...the TDI has to be able to pull better than the 2.0T. Have you towed with it?

Finally question. Interestingly enough, the only other vehicle I am considering right now is a Grand Cherokee and I notice you have one of those too....How do you like it? My current job is up in the air and I'm not sure if I'll have a long commute in the future, that's why I though the TDI would be a great compromise.

Sorry for all the questions...thanks for your help...I bought an A4 when they first came out in the late 80's...drove it till almost 200,000 miles before trading it in on a Mercedes CLK...I still miss that car!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 TDI post fix issues O2 Sensor check engine