Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The 2013 Q5 revealed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest change would be the MMI system. Honestly the new system is par to the Q5's market target.

But if I'm correct this is a completely new system, which means 2012 and earlier models will not be able to upgrade as the new system utilizes a completely new hardware platform.

However I don't see the handwriting recognition pad shown here in the 2013 A3 model: http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiusa...n/photostream/

Not sure what difference the new Q5's MMI has from the A3's MMI shown earlier...

Last edited by stevedusa; 04-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So we're looking at the European equivalent of the Prestige trim level? Wood grain, side assist, sport seats with adjustable thigh support, etc.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:06 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

New Taillight LED's look interesting as well... I too, am anxious to see the S-Line.

-tgt
Old 04-21-2012, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HotRodW
So we're looking at the European equivalent of the Prestige trim level? Wood grain, side assist, sport seats with adjustable thigh support, etc.

I don't think you can really go by that since everything is an option in europe even down to getting one with out an arm rest.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevedusa
The biggest change would be the MMI system. Honestly the new system is par to the Q5's market target.

But if I'm correct this is a completely new system, which means 2012 and earlier models will not be able to upgrade as the new system utilizes a completely new hardware platform.

However I don't see the handwriting recognition pad shown here in the 2013 A3 model: http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiusa...n/photostream/

Not sure what difference the new Q5's MMI has from the A3's MMI shown earlier...
Surprised me as well why the touchpad isn't here, when other 2013 models already have it. So much quicker input I think.

As for the exterior, I'm not liking the new front LEDs too much. I kinda like the simpler shapes the current models have, too many hard angles with this one. Maybe if I see it in person I'll change my mind. Visually, this will probably be the first thing you'd notice with the new model. Other tweaks are not that far off from the current model.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a fan of the front lights or the rear to be honest.

I too like the sleeker styling than the angled areas, but some may prefer this look.

The taillights to me look much more aggressive with the our LED outlines than the new ones do. The new front lights kind of remind me of a neon sign, and look like a deep sea squid when you turn on your blinker signal. Too much. The rear lights are very bland to me.

Idk, to each his own, but I'm glad I got my Q5 prior to this version. I like it much, much better.I would like to have those new Q5 wheels though I really like them a lot.

Here is a vid I found showing the new headlamps and taillights on the Audi allroad. Just not my cup of tea I guess. The upper area of the grille has the same angled lines as well, so I imagine they are changing across the board for MY13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA5vq9dIOZg

Last edited by ThunderDent; 04-22-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any ideas on when the order guides and pricing will be out?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Changes I see ...

Exterior
----------
*New Wheels- I like
*Looks like Non-S-line's will get upgraded bling filled grilles now
*Upgraded LED headlights (look a bit smaller)
*New non-S-line fog-grilles with chrome ring now. Still flat black plastic
*Small redesign on non-S-line rear bumper (still appears to be all same color)
*Chrome tips are flat on bottom

Interior
----------
*New steering wheel (an improvement)
*New lighter wood grain ... now with extra grain! (not a fan)
*Even bigger, bulkier shifter... but added chrome to side (really not a fan)
*Chrome on the MMI buttons
*Door trim & arm rests match seats now.

My observations ...

Maybe it's just the awful beige, but I'm not a fan. Biggest like I have are the wheels. Maybe the S-Line version will be better. I'm sure other colors will be better too. Just not a fan of all the bling personally.

All-in-all, very bland update. I suppose we'll see a major overhaul starting with the 2016 Mexican built Q5's.
I guess I am in the minority here....I love this update. The Q5 was never a flashy or "different" car, it has always just been a really sporty looking SUV. We are looking at them now and will probably hold out for the 2013 models. I like the new MMI inside (the current one is a little meh as far as usability goes). I even like the color combo and the wood but we will probably go for the brown/saddle/cinnamon color or whatever they choose to call it. Overall a more clean look, the LEDs upfront coud have been a little more creative but overall nice refresh.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The updates looks good, the front and rear light are a good improvment. LED tubes are Audi's new direction, no more individual LEDs. As far as the writing pads, its a nice toy but I hardly ever use it in my A6. Its easiler with voice command or maybe even the dial. The writing pad turns into a set of radio preset touch buttons when in the radio mode, I like that feature a lot. Its a shame that Audi did not design any radio preset buttons in this Q5 refresh.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I am in the minority here....I like the update. I dig the new grill and taillights. I think they could have done something more creative with the headlights, but either way I think it is a sportier look, and cleans up the look a little more. Nice Job outside.

Inside I like the improvements. I really like that new wheel and mainly the new MMI system. I think it's a lot more usable and simpler, with some nice interface changes and new features (Audi connect I think it is). I actually like that color scheme and the new wood, but we would probably opt for the canyon/cinnamon/saddle or whatever they choose that brown color interior. We have become large fans of that color. And it is a guarantee that there will be more traditional wood trim available so people complaining about that won't have to worry.

I am interested in the 3.0T, but we will probably go for the 2.0T. My only concerns now are features. We want to get ventilated front seats and heated second row seats if possible. While not a deal breaker, we also want blind spot monitoring. Some of these features aren't available currently (heated second row) and some are reserved stupidly for the larger engine (ventilated seats + blind spot monitor). We are deciding between this and surprisingly the Lincoln MKX which was a surprise hit. We will probably go for the Audi but I hope these features that are all available on the Lincoln gain availability on the Q5. Nice refresh.

Quick Reply: The 2013 Q5 revealed