Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 - OEM Hitch Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q5 - OEM Hitch Install

Hey All,

Just thought I'd share my hitch install experience on my 2013 Q5 3.0T (with S Line package).

Initially I wanted to tackle this project myself but went against it figuring I might screw it up somehow. That and I read that you need to take it into the dealership to get it SW reprogrammed anyway.

In the end, I purchased the hitch online ($620 w/free shipping) and paid $450 for the labor to have it installed at a Audi dealer.

I also went the extra steps and did the cutout on the cover to make look as seamless as possible. I'm pretty satisfied with the results!

Just waiting for the Thule Helium Aero bike rack to arrive and I'm good to go!

P.S : Just a side note. I initially only cut the middle section since I have no plans to hook up a trailer anytime soon but found that the cover will not fit. The electrical socket will be in the way.
Attached Images    
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice and thanks for sharing. Pictures speak volumes.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks great!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HadoukenZR
Hey All,

Just thought I'd share my hitch install experience on my 2013 Q5 3.0T (with S Line package).

Initially I wanted to tackle this project myself but went against it figuring I might screw it up somehow. That and I read that you need to take it into the dealership to get it SW reprogrammed anyway.

In the end, I purchased the hitch online ($620 w/free shipping) and paid $450 for the labor to have it installed at a Audi dealer.

I also went the extra steps and did the cutout on the cover to make look as seamless as possible. I'm pretty satisfied with the results!

Just waiting for the Thule Helium Aero bike rack to arrive and I'm good to go!

P.S : Just a side note. I initially only cut the middle section since I have no plans to hook up a trailer anytime soon but found that the cover will not fit. The electrical socket will be in the way.

It looks great.

Can you provide the part # of the hitch and where you purchased it?

Also can you elaborate on the type of reprogramming they did - can it be done via VAG-COM?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm just wondering why you didn't go with the hitch as a $800 option instead of paying $1,070 right after delivery. PIOs have a much longer warranty too. Was the tow hitch not a PIO for MY 2013?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
I'm just wondering why you didn't go with the hitch as a $800 option instead of paying $1,070 right after delivery. PIOs have a much longer warranty too. Was the tow hitch not a PIO for MY 2013?
Hitch was available as PIO, though it may have been an en-route vehicle or something where the option hadn't been specified (and couldn't be added in time). (Or the dealer could've been confused like one was on there not being a non-Side Assist hitch because they saw the Side Assist-specific one listed. Someone posted about that recently, but the order guide did show the proper option.)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks terrific. I would have considered doing it myself and then made the same decision you did in having the Audi dealer do it!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jofish
It looks great.

Can you provide the part # of the hitch and where you purchased it?

Also can you elaborate on the type of reprogramming they did - can it be done via VAG-COM?

Thanks

Item Number: 8R0092115
Bought it at www.audipartsforless.com .

They are a Audi dealership located in North Scottsdale. The parts manager is top notch. The hitch i ordered had very minor scratches and I wrote a email to complain. The manager sent me a can of spray paint along with free hats and Q5 sunshade to remedy the issue.

If that's not customer service I dont know what is ! lol... And they were the cheapest I found online.

I read that others tried to VAG-COM the update but couldn't finish it 100%..

Last edited by HadoukenZR; 04-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec

Yeah unfortunately I didn't think there was a need at the time. Indecisiveness sucks.

However, seeing how I was quoted $1700+ at some other places, this seemed like a good alternative.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HadoukenZR
Yeah unfortunately I didn't think there was a need at the time. Indecisiveness sucks.

However, seeing how I was quoted $1700+ at some other places, this seemed like a good alternative.
Yeah, as far as after-the-fact installs go, you didn't do too badly.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 - OEM Hitch Install