Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 Notchiness Complaint

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q5 Notchiness Complaint

If you have a 2013 Q5 and have notchiness feeling in the steering wheel, please submit a complaint here.
It is very annoying especially at highway speeds to keep the car straight.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/
Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the notchiness steel wheel complaint, but I looked at the link you included and saw the one other complaint on a 2013 Q5. It concerns the proximity of the brake and gas pedals. This is my third Audi and I have to admit that I have thought to myself that the brake and gas pedals are too close to each other also. I have pressed both from time to time. Anyone else notice this?

My other two Audis, both A4's, had a greater separation between brake and gas -- or at least I never hit both at the same time. The brake pedal on the Q5 is larger because this vehicle is automatic and my two A4's were manual. Maybe that's where the difference comes from. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Before I bought the Q5, I test drove the A5 2013 and definitely thought the the accelerator and brake were close together. My shoe barely fit on the accelerator without touching the brake...no gap at all. However, the 2013 Q5 is adequately spaced I think.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's terrible. Especially when driving to work with wider dress shoes on. Accident waiting to happen. Sometimes my foot gets caught over the gas peddle by the break. Its really bad- would think there would be some governmental minimum distance between the 2 to prevent a situation like this.

Originally Posted by abcabc
I don't have the notchiness steel wheel complaint, but I looked at the link you included and saw the one other complaint on a 2013 Q5. It concerns the proximity of the brake and gas pedals. This is my third Audi and I have to admit that I have thought to myself that the brake and gas pedals are too close to each other also. I have pressed both from time to time. Anyone else notice this?

My other two Audis, both A4's, had a greater separation between brake and gas -- or at least I never hit both at the same time. The brake pedal on the Q5 is larger because this vehicle is automatic and my two A4's were manual. Maybe that's where the difference comes from. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we have Hobbits in the USA? I thought they were from Middle Earth.

Interesting...

Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to report i experienced the notchiness for the first time yesterday. Local road going about 40mph. It only lasted a few minutes abd just dissapeared without me doing anything.5100 on odometer. Of course the car was just in for service Saturday. Ill wait to see if it becomes more severe and repetitive before i bring it in.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have also experienced the "notchiness" for the first time yesterday. I have a 2013 Q5 3.0T (900 miles). Never felt anything like this before while driving the car. Was on the highway doing about 65-75 and felt the notchiness. It took effort to keep the car going straight. Felt the wheel trying to turn to the 11 and 1 o'clock position on the steering wheel. When I got off of the highway and drove on the local roads, the notchiness was not there anymore. It is very disconcerting to say the least. I really hope that it was a one time thing. This is my first Audi (have always had BMWs) and I really hope that they come up with a fix for this.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have noticed it to varying levels for the last month. I have a 2013 Q5 2.0T. Sometimes it is VERY pronounced and makes steering a little squirly on straight roads. Other times, I do not notice a thing.

I had no idea others were having the same issue.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

So service mngr from my dealership just called to ask how my service visit was Saturday. I told him about steering issue. He immediatley knew about the issue. He said audi is still working on a solution. He has replaced steering racks on several cars and the issue has resurfaced. Said if its bad, pull over, turn off engine and restart. It somehow resets the steering and issue will go away at least temporarily. He said i will be put on list of Vins with the issue and will be contacted when audi has solution.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went and filled out the form on the gov web site listed above. I have not even noticed it lately, but it usually is most noticeable in the morning or when the car is cold and on straight flat highway.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 Notchiness Complaint