Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 Hybrid sometimes takes 2 tries to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 Q5 Hybrid sometimes takes 2 tries to start

This happens infrequently but often enough to be annoying. 60,168 miles on vehicle, 12V batteries changed a year or so ago. Completely clear VCDS scan.

When this happens while pressing on the brake pedal, first try the speedometer does it’s sweep but the hybrid gauge needle stays at 6 o’clock instead of changing to the 9 o’clock position (“Ready”). Some warning lights come on. Engine doesn’t start. Looks like I tried starting without the brake pedal pressed.

Turn everything off with the start button, then try restarting vehicle. Vehicle starts normally on second try every time.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas of the cause?
Old 06-22-2022, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Our Hybrid ended up technically totaled two years ago w/ a sideswipe insurance claim, and never experienced this out thru its life w/ us to about 75K. Probably still on road w/ a few junkyard doors, but who knows.

Just as a WAG--maybe try replacing brake switch itself?...esentially for the symptoms you yourself describe. On my prior mid millennium era D3, that was a known fail point. I also recall it typically did not generate a code, and IIRC didn't necessarily kill the actual brake lights either. Switch might have had parallel functions.

Another scenario BTW is consider the gear shift interlock. Q5 still had a mechanical type shift linkage, so if the shifter position contacts there have issues another possibility. But if you aren't touching the gear shift as the problem arises and then resolves, probably not that. Early Audis had that set up in the shifter area itself; it might have moved over the years to the transmission linkage connection. Parts diagram or shop manual would clarify.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-22-2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Our Hybrid ended up technically totaled two years ago w/ a sideswipe insurance claim, and never experienced this out thru its life w/ us to about 75K. Probably still on road w/ a few junkyard doors, but who knows.

Just as a WAG--maybe try replacing brake switch itself?...esentially for the symptoms you yourself describe. On my prior mid millennium era D3, that was a known fail point. I also recall it typically did not generate a code, and IIRC didn't necessarily kill the actual brake lights either. Switch might have had parallel functions.

Another scenario BTW is consider the gear shift interlock. Q5 still had a mechanical type shift linkage, so if the shifter position contacts there have issues another possibility. But if you aren't touching the gear shift as the problem arises and then resolves, probably not that. Early Audis had that set up in the shifter area itself; it might have moved over the years to the transmission linkage connection. Parts diagram or shop manual would clarify.
Thanks for the response. I’m going to look into replacing the brake switch.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Does it start and run for a second and then shut off before it starts right up?
Only when cold?
Only when warm?
Only when warm and sat for a half hour?
Old 06-24-2022, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Does it start and run for a second and then shut off before it starts right up?

No

Only when cold?
Only when warm?
Only when warm and sat for a half hour?
It’s pretty intermittent, but I believe it happens both cold & warm. More often warm I believe.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
It’s pretty intermittent, but I believe it happens both cold & warm. More often warm I believe.
I just reread your post. Not only does it not start but it does not even crank the first time? My 2011 regular Q5 did something similar and it was the ECU relay going bad (lots of codes).
With no codes I would use VCDS to look at live data from the brake switch circuit first and then gear shift interlock as per MP4 to see if you can get either of those to misbehave without even trying to start the car before replacing any parts.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
I just reread your post. Not only does it not start but it does not even crank the first time? My 2011 regular Q5 did something similar and it was the ECU relay going bad (lots of codes).
With no codes I would use VCDS to look at live data from the brake switch circuit first and then gear shift interlock as per MP4 to see if you can get either of those to misbehave without even trying to start the car before replacing any parts.
looking at live data is a good idea. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
rdA4WtQ5 (06-26-2022)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey @ MP4.2+6.0, took me a while to get to you but finally saw how to subscribe and message you from other forums.

I'm about to purchase a 2013 Q5 Hybrid with 44k miles. I have never owned a Audi or Hybrid for that matter. Are there any concerns i should know or experiences you had that were unexpected? I saw you wrote a lot about the zep battery. Please share anything you think would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should also add that this is a Prestige model. Thanks again
Old 03-27-2023, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Chege1980
I have never owned a Audi or Hybrid for that matter. Are there any concerns i should know or experiences you had that were unexpected? I saw you wrote a lot about the zep battery. Please share anything you think would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Purchase an extended warranty.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 Hybrid sometimes takes 2 tries to start