Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 High Pressure Fuel Pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q5 High Pressure Fuel Pump leaking

2013 Q5 2.0T
125k miles

So, I noticed that my high pressure fuel pump is leaking at the top, similar to the pic I found online posted below. Before I bring my vehicle in, does anyone know if this is cover under warranty due to it being a safety issue, even though the vehicle is way passed original warranty? I plan on ordering the parts and fix it myself if dealer won't foot the bill.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

No, if your warranty is over then you are out of luck...parts fail over time.
Basically just because it might be a safety issue doesn't mean it is a warranty issue. If you wheels fall off driving down the road (a major safety issue) it is not necessarily covered under warranty.
The exceptions are when a governing body (like NHTSA) has found the manufacturer to use faulty parts causing a safety recall. You would have received that recall in the mail or you can look it up by VIN at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

As an interesting point, airbags from the mid 90's only have a rated lifespan of 10-15 years. So that major safety item had questionable effectiveness even 15 years ago, but no manufacturer is required to replace them for free. So if you ever find yourself in a mid 90's whatever, make sure your belt is buckled and pray that the 25 year old airbags still work if, god forbid, you are in an accident.
The following users liked this post:
vutekho (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
No, if your warranty is over then you are out of luck...parts fail over time.
Basically just because it might be a safety issue doesn't mean it is a warranty issue. If you wheels fall off driving down the road (a major safety issue) it is not necessarily covered under warranty.
The exceptions are when a governing body (like NHTSA) has found the manufacturer to use faulty parts causing a safety recall. You would have received that recall in the mail or you can look it up by VIN at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

As an interesting point, airbags from the mid 90's only have a rated lifespan of 10-15 years. So that major safety item had questionable effectiveness even 15 years ago, but no manufacturer is required to replace them for free. So if you ever find yourself in a mid 90's whatever, make sure your belt is buckled and pray that the 25 year old airbags still work if, god forbid, you are in an accident.

Appreciate the reply. They weren't kidding when they said these cars will become money pits over 100k miles. But I enjoyed the time with it.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by vutekho
Appreciate the reply. They weren't kidding when they said these cars will become money pits over 100k miles. But I enjoyed the time with it.
Nothing lasts forever. Audi's are just more expensive to fix (both parts and labor) than the average car.
FWIW the HPFP looks to be about $400-$500 if you are handy and could DIY (careful depressurizing fuel system first). Also it looks like the part was superseded at least 7 times...so it probably was a common issue covered while still under warranty, but not if warranty is expired. You could try asking for goodwill if you bought from and serviced at that dealer, but it is very doubtful.
Also Note: "When replacing the pump, make sure to also replace the cam follower $50 as this is most likely worn or destroyed as well."
Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Nothing lasts forever. Audi's are just more expensive to fix (both parts and labor) than the average car.
FWIW the HPFP looks to be about $400-$500 if you are handy and could DIY (careful depressurizing fuel system first). Also it looks like the part was superseded at least 7 times...so it probably was a common issue covered while still under warranty, but not if warranty is expired. You could try asking for goodwill if you bought from and serviced at that dealer, but it is very doubtful.
Also Note: "When replacing the pump, make sure to also replace the cam follower $50 as this is most likely worn or destroyed as well."
Thanks for the tip.